The Student Room Group

Is the international fee worth it?

I have an offer for UOM and it will cost me about
Is it worth the international fee? Will I be able to make the money back or should I go to a cheaper local uni?
(edited 2 years ago)
That is a heck of a lot of money :eek:. I think you should really think about whether it is worth it or not. Do you really want to go into £120,000 of debt when you could have an equally good degree at a much cheaper, nearby university? Personally, I think you should set some time aside to sit down and write a list of pros and cons for both option before making any decisions.
Original post by frenchie_
That is a heck of a lot of money :eek:. I think you should really think about whether it is worth it or not. Do you really want to go into £120,000 of debt when you could have an equally good degree at a much cheaper, nearby university? Personally, I think you should set some time aside to sit down and write a list of pros and cons for both option before making any decisions.

It's not really a equally good degr
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Raisul_Bhuiya
It's not really a equally good degree, it's more just a degree where I will not be making much. The international fee is 25000 per annum at Manchester for my course and after exchanging currency and taking into account the cost of living, it will be roughly 120,000 pounds for 3 years. The alternative is a uni in germany or austria where it's free

What degree is it?

I would definitely look into those alternatives.
Reply 4
I have an offer for UOM and it will cost me about 120,000 or so pounds.
Is it worth the international fee? Will I be able to make the money back or should I go to a cheaper local uni?

Are you from the EU? If so, then it's not only student loans that will cost you much but also living there, rent etc. I don't know how the situation there is for you, but since England is not Eu anymore, European countries normally don't give you a loan for that anymore - a friend of mine is from the EU and said it would be her parents who would need to finance rent etc
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by cityowl
Are you from the EU? If so, then it's not only student loans that will cost you much but also living there, rent etc. I don't know how the situation there is for you, but since England is not Eu anymore, European countries normally don't give you a loan for that anymore - a friend of mine is from the EU and said it would be her parents who would need to finance rent etc

Is it worth it?
It's not really a equally good degree, it's more just a degree where I will not be making much. The international fee is 25000 per annum at Manchester for my course and after exchanging currency and taking into account the cost of living, it will be roughly 120,000 pounds for 3 years. The alternative is a uni in germany or austria where it's free

Frankly, you can find equivalently strong unis in Europe (stronger even in some countries) and as noted the tuition costs are negligible or free, and so you just need to pay your living costs - which can also be quite cheap depending where you end up. Manchester is a good university, but at those costs I don't really think it has value for money.
Original post by artful_lounger
Frankly, you can find equivalently strong unis in Europe (stronger even in some countries) and as noted the tuition costs are negligible or free, and so you just need to pay your living costs - which can also be quite cheap depending where you end up. Manchester is a good university, but at those costs I don't really think it has value for money.

Can you give me a few names of other Universities in Europe which offer courses in english and can land me jobs in Banks or Investment Banks?
Can you give me a few names of other Universities in Europe which offer courses in english and can land me jobs in Banks or Investment Banks?

Can't comment on the banking thing specifically that well because I'm only vaguely aware of that in the UK - although it's worth noting that Manchester is not a target uni in the UK and so if that is your aim definitely not worth those expenses because it is certainly not the best option to get you to that end goal.

For degrees in Europe offering courses in English you can pretty easily google that. Paris-Saclay offers a bachelors program which I believe is in English, and it's associated with École Polytechnique which I think does turn out from their engineering diploma a lot of grads that go on to study at HEC and go into finance/banking type roles and other similar roles in the French civil service. So that might be worth exploring (although probably not quite as cheap as the German options).
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending