The Student Room Group

My courses are too random!! Having extreme doubts!

I know i’m cutting this short, with my enrollment being on the 13th, but i can swap out my a level courses after ive started so i should be okay.

Basically, I really wanted a good set of a levels. I dont know what I want to be, where i want to go to uni, what i want to take for a level. People said ‘take what you enjoy’, so i picked what i enjoyed. A level biology, graphic design and french. I hate it so much. My courses dont even match in the slightest. I hate seeing all my friends pick subjects that work so well, and I want to go to a good uni, so i feel that I have to pick matching courses. I literally hate it so much. I would love to do something arty, however arty subjects dont seem ‘job-worthy’ if you get me. I’ve been talking to everyone for months for help. All they say is ‘do what you enjoy’ or ‘it doesnt matter what you pick for a level because as long as you get good grades you’ll get into anything in uni’ i dont know how true that is, however seeing everyone pick courses that fit so well makes me want to curl up in a ball and die. I feel like im going to swap french out with something like chemistry, but i’m too scared because people say how hard chemistry is (but then again mfl a level is supposed to be an absolute nightmare). But yeah basically i know my course choices are awful and i dont know what to do about it!! its so daunting and i was seen as the ‘bright kid’ in school up till now and its been stamped into my head that i have to be good at everything so i’ve now got a fear of faliure!!!
Do A Levels which you are going to enjoy, aren't going to quit and which you feel you will do well in. There are lots of university courses which don't require specific subjects. Having a range of different A Levels is good if you're not sure what you want to do in the future yet. You also don't have to go to university after A Levels. There's also higher level apprenticeships and employment opportunities to consider.
Reply 2
Picking subjects that you enjoy is important, but you're right that you also need to consider what those subjects will enable you to do in the future, especially if you plan on going to uni, and be somewhat strategic about your choices.

If you're unsure what you specifically want to do in the future, a good place to start might be to do some research and find out where a combination of A-Level biology, graphic design and French can get you (there are tools like https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer which can help if you're looking for uni courses). And keep in mind that there are plenty of courses and paths which don't ask for specific combinations of A-Levels, so your choices aren't awful.

If afterwards you're still unsure about your potential options, maybe then consider changing your choices. Chemistry might be more suitable than French if you decide you're more likely to go down a science route, for example, and if you change your mind you'd probably still be able to do something art & design-related by having graphics.
Original post by aksjsjshjsh
I know i’m cutting this short, with my enrollment being on the 13th, but i can swap out my a level courses after ive started so i should be okay.

Basically, I really wanted a good set of a levels. I dont know what I want to be, where i want to go to uni, what i want to take for a level. People said ‘take what you enjoy’, so i picked what i enjoyed. A level biology, graphic design and french. I hate it so much. My courses dont even match in the slightest. I hate seeing all my friends pick subjects that work so well, and I want to go to a good uni, so i feel that I have to pick matching courses. I literally hate it so much. I would love to do something arty, however arty subjects dont seem ‘job-worthy’ if you get me. I’ve been talking to everyone for months for help. All they say is ‘do what you enjoy’ or ‘it doesnt matter what you pick for a level because as long as you get good grades you’ll get into anything in uni’ i dont know how true that is, however seeing everyone pick courses that fit so well makes me want to curl up in a ball and die. I feel like im going to swap french out with something like chemistry, but i’m too scared because people say how hard chemistry is (but then again mfl a level is supposed to be an absolute nightmare). But yeah basically i know my course choices are awful and i dont know what to do about it!! its so daunting and i was seen as the ‘bright kid’ in school up till now and its been stamped into my head that i have to be good at everything so i’ve now got a fear of faliure!!!

What career ideas do you have? Because top unis have no problem with random subjects as long as they match the requirements of the course you want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
What career ideas do you have? Because top unis have no problem with random subjects as long as they match the requirements of the course you want to do.

problem is, i have no idea. maybe something to do with biology?
Reply 5
Original post by nzy
Picking subjects that you enjoy is important, but you're right that you also need to consider what those subjects will enable you to do in the future, especially if you plan on going to uni, and be somewhat strategic about your choices.

If you're unsure what you specifically want to do in the future, a good place to start might be to do some research and find out where a combination of A-Level biology, graphic design and French can get you (there are tools like https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer which can help if you're looking for uni courses). And keep in mind that there are plenty of courses and paths which don't ask for specific combinations of A-Levels, so your choices aren't awful.

If afterwards you're still unsure about your potential options, maybe then consider changing your choices. Chemistry might be more suitable than French if you decide you're more likely to go down a science route, for example, and if you change your mind you'd probably still be able to do something art & design-related by having graphics.

thank you!! also, the link us very helpful!!

Quick Reply

Latest