The Student Room Group

would taking an A Level in my gap year affect my application?

Hello guys,

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. My school is making me choose between German and Further Maths due to timetabling issues. Thing is, I'm interested in potentially studying either German, Maths, or English at degree level (quite a range, I know, but I'm very specifically interested in -- and good at -- languages, literature, and maths) so the fact that I can't study something like Maths + FM + English + German is a real bummer to me. (Usually would've been possible... only one FM class this year).

If I were to study Maths, FM, Physics, and English at Sixth Form then take a German A Level in my gap year (I intend to travel to Germany and au pair anyway) would it hinder my chances of getting into, say, the Modern Languages and Linguistics course since I would've technically dropped German in Year 12? I could theoretically start studying German as soon as exams finish and therefore have an actual predicted grade (I could ask my school for support). And I'm also planning on working towards a JLPT (Japanese language) qualification during Sixth Form.

TL;DR considering taking an a level in my gap year, wondering if it would affect my chances of getting into the relevant degree.
(edited 2 years ago)
bump :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Starlesscosmos
Hello guys,

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. My school is making me choose between German and Further Maths due to timetabling issues. Thing is, I'm interested in potentially studying either German, Maths, or English at degree level (quite a range, I know, but I'm very specifically interested in -- and good at -- languages, literature, and maths) so the fact that I can't study something like Maths + FM + English + German is a real bummer to me. (Usually would've been possible... only one FM class this year).

If I were to study Maths, FM, Physics, and English at Sixth Form then take a German A Level in my gap year (I intend to travel to Germany and au pair anyway) would it hinder my chances of getting into, say, the Modern Languages and Linguistics course since I would've technically dropped German in Year 12? I could theoretically start studying German as soon as exams finish and therefore have an actual predicted grade (I could ask my school for support). And I'm also planning on working towards a JLPT (Japanese language) qualification during Sixth Form.

TL;DR considering taking an a level in my gap year, wondering if it would affect my chances of getting into the relevant degree.

it'll be fine! they shouldn't have any problem as long as u show them that u have a qualification in german by the time u apply. I think oxford's course lets you take a beginners course if u don't have german a level anyways. I take english and it's great! I think its good for u to have an essay subject in there. Have u maybe tried taking another modern language like spanish or french too?
Original post by nanami8
it'll be fine! they shouldn't have any problem as long as u show them that u have a qualification in german by the time u apply. I think oxford's course lets you take a beginners course if u don't have german a level anyways.

That's the thing, I wouldn't actually have a full German A Level by the time I apply :,) I'd have a predicted grade though, would that be okay?
And I could only take a beginner's course if I was already doing an A Level for another language, which I won't be, I'm only eligible for German...
Reply 4
That's the thing, I wouldn't actually have a full German A Level by the time I apply :,) I'd have a predicted grade though, would that be okay?
And I could only take a beginner's course if I was already doing an A Level for another language, which I won't be, I'm only eligible for German...

I mean, when people apply in y13 they only have predicted grades so i feel like it would be okay?? if i were u i'd contact admissions for ur first choice uni and see what they say :smile: good luck!!
If you intend to take a gap year, this could seriously affect your chance of studying maths at uni (most maths courses do not like students who take a year out). Could you not just take German, English and Maths-? and then take FM in your gap year if you really want to do maths. It does sound from your post though that you are more interested in languages.
Hello guys,

You can't hold have your place confirmed in your Yr 13 summer results if you still have a subject to complete. So either you'd have to get into whatever course without German, or you'd have to make a deferred application and wait to get your German results in your gap year - which would certainly be a problem because it would only make sense to do if you were applying for German, or you could apply during your gap year, but if for German, the same problem of 3 years to take A levels applies.

So it looks like, if you drop German, then you'd have to apply for German as an ab initio language (do they do that?) in which case it would be pointless to do it as an A level in a gap year.

Change sixth form? Some schools might make it work if they thought they were losing a strong Oxbridge candidate because of their timetabling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending