The Student Room Group

A level subject dilemma

Hi guys,

I want to go into Medicine and have taken Biology, Chemistry, French and Spanish. I understand that taking 4 subjects is a bad idea, especially when 2 are irrelevant to the career I want, however I do enjoy both languages quite a lot. I was considering dropping Spanish to try and focus on my main 3, but I can't bring myself to do it.

My question is would Spanish be a hindrance to my Medical application? For some context, I am not a native in French but I am quite strong in it.

Thank you!
why do you think taking 4 a levels is a bad idea?
Original post by localidiot21
why do you think taking 4 a levels is a bad idea?

I've been told quite often that it's not a good idea and a waste of time, considering that universities only require 3. That this time could be spent on supercurriculars, improving uni applications and grades in my other subjects.

And that it's also difficult to keep up with 4.
Original post by Majestic_Willow
I've been told quite often that it's not a good idea and a waste of time, considering that universities only require 3. That this time could be spent on supercurriculars, improving uni applications and grades in my other subjects.

And that it's also difficult to keep up with 4.

i think it should be a decision you make with your teachers (and parents). If you and they are confident that you can handle the workload then why not? If the things you've listed are a genuine concern of yours then fine. But assuming that you're in year 12 then you've got time to make your decision.
If it helps I did 4 A Levels (not counting general studies) and I'm currently studying medicine, and sometimes regret not doing french as a 5th subject. I appreciate that that is not the norm but just know that it is doable
Honestly a lot of schools and teachers think that a 4th a level looks really good but it doesnt

At the end of the day, you need 3 a levels to apply for medicine and they only look at your top 3.

If you genuinely think you can handle 4 a levels and it wont affect your grades, then by all means go for it.

However, if you cant balance those along with any other commitments you need to apply for medicine, then i would advise dropping it so you can get the best grades and application in for medicine.
Original post by alevelbandit
Honestly a lot of schools and teachers think that a 4th a level looks really good but it doesnt

At the end of the day, you need 3 a levels to apply for medicine and they only look at your top 3.

If you genuinely think you can handle 4 a levels and it wont affect your grades, then by all means go for it.

However, if you cant balance those along with any other commitments you need to apply for medicine, then i would advise dropping it so you can get the best grades and application in for medicine.

I agree with you. If you are doing an extra A level just for the sake of it then don't, but she seems to have a passion for languages, that's why I wanted to let her know that it was doable
Original post by localidiot21
i think it should be a decision you make with your teachers (and parents). If you and they are confident that you can handle the workload then why not? If the things you've listed are a genuine concern of yours then fine. But assuming that you're in year 12 then you've got time to make your decision.
If it helps I did 4 A Levels (not counting general studies) and I'm currently studying medicine, and sometimes regret not doing french as a 5th subject. I appreciate that that is not the norm but just know that it is doable

I've spoken both to my teachers and parents. My teachers seem to think I could handle it, and said that ultimately the decision was mine, but my parents said that it would be better to just drop it and focus on science/medicine if that was my goal.
I am in Year 12, however our college has a deadline for dropping a subject. The deadline is in about a week or 2, and if you do not drop the subject then you have to see it through to year 13 (unless there are exceptional circumstances).
Original post by alevelbandit

That's the thing, I genuinely don't know whether I could handle it because right now I'm managing well and enjoying all the subjects. However I haven't been given time to see how difficult the subjects get, or whether I will be able to manage my time later in the year when I have more work to complete. I just can't judge the workload and content from the first couple of weeks of college :frown: and I really don't know what to do, because I'm worried that two languages is going to make it seem like I'm not serious about medicine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Majestic_Willow
I've spoken both to my teachers and parents. My teachers seem to think I could handle it, and said that ultimately the decision was mine, but my parents said that it would be better to just drop it and focus on science/medicine if that was my goal.
I am in Year 12, however our college has a deadline for dropping a subject. The deadline is in about a week or 2, and if you do not drop the subject then you have to see it through to year 13 (unless there are exceptional circumstances).

That's the thing, I genuinely don't know whether I could handle it because right now I'm managing well and enjoying all the subjects. However I haven't been given time to see how difficult the subjects get, or whether I will be able to manage my time later in the year when I have more work to complete. I just can't judge the workload and content from the first couple of weeks of college :frown: and I really don't know what to do, because I'm worried that two languages is going to make it seem like I'm not serious about medicine.

Okay I understand your dilemma now! It is pretty trick to figure out how much time you'll need for each subject, maybe a better way is working out how much time you spend on extracurriculars. that can give you an idea of what you have to work with. Also remember, (regardless of whether you do 3 or 4 A Levels) if extra curriculars are taking a lot out of you, you can take some time out.
I can only really offer insight to Biology and Chemistry, Biology is a lot of just 'memorisation' and chemistry apparently requires application of concepts etc. They can be pretty time consuming.
Really its up to you. I decided to do my 4th subject because I loved it and it would likely be the last chance I got to study the subject properly. I guess with Spanish you can keep studying at uni, join languages Soc or do classes etc.
Coming to think of it you could probably do classes instead of an A Level and get like those proficiency certificate things (sorry to ramble but hopefully you know what I mean)

Quick Reply

Latest