The Student Room Group

UG Medicine as a Graduate - feasible to pay for it by joining the Army?

As the army pays for your medical degree, is that a feasible way to pay for your degree as a graduate doing an undergrad medical degree or would it be easier to work yourself? From what I understand is that the "payback" is doing F1/2 at one of their locations and 4 years of service?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WinnipegFreeway
As the army pays for your medical degree, is that a feasible way to pay for your degree as a graduate doing an undergrad medical degree or would it be easier to work yourself? From what I understand is that the "payback" is doing F1/2 at one of their locations and 4 years of service?

Do you think you'd be doing medicine through the army for the right reasons...?
Original post by Reality Check
Do you think you'd be doing medicine through the army for the right reasons...?

Otherwise I wouldn't consider it but I'm wanting to go into trauma surgery and get experience in remote (emergency) medicine either in the army or MFS and while it's still not ideal, it seems like an option to look into.

Do you mean, Army Sponsorship? If yes, that means the Army pays for the final 3 years (you don’t pay them back) and you would have to serve with them with a minimum of 6 years as a Medical Officer, you would have to join the Army Medical Corps in your FY1 and 2. I believe everything is on their website.
Original post by BurgerKing666
Do you mean, Army Sponsorship? If yes, that means the Army pays for the final 3 years (you don’t pay them back) and you would have to serve with them with a minimum of 6 years as a Medical Officer, you would have to join the Army Medical Corps in your FY1 and 2. I believe everything is on their website.

Yup thats the one! I've read everything through. I'd be looking at the one you start during your first year in medical school. All though one thing I wasn't sure about - if you need to (after F1-2) start the 4 year service straight away or if you'd be able to for example do training first and then as a consultant return to serve the remaining 4?
Yup thats the one! I've read everything through. I'd be looking at the one you start during your first year in medical school. All though one thing I wasn't sure about - if you need to (after F1-2) start the 4 year service straight away or if you'd be able to for example do training first and then as a consultant return to serve the remaining 4?

I believe throughout the 6 year medicine, you would have to attend University Officer Training Corp (and also Royal Army Medical Corps), at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst affiliated with your university. Meaning you would have to do all the initial army training, (even weapon training :cool:) at the same time with your studies. I believe you’ll start your service right after Graduation (in your FY1 and 2) from then on you may get deployments, hence minimum 6 years of service.
I believe throughout the 6 year medicine, you would have to attend University Officer Training Corp (and also Royal Army Medical Corps), at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst affiliated with your university. Meaning you would have to do all the initial army training, (even weapon training :cool:) at the same time with your studies. I believe you’ll start your service right after Graduation (in your FY1 and 2) from then on you may get deployments, hence minimum 6 years of service.

Yep, 6 years => F1, F2 + 4. But then can you delay the 4 years for after residency, say you go into surgery and as an attending (consultant) come back?
Yep, 6 years => F1, F2 + 4. But then can you delay the 4 years for after residency, say you go into surgery and as an attending (consultant) come back?

Yes, I think so it can be like that! I do know they let their Medics out to take a year on some training at hospitals or gain a specialty degree. Though don’t take my word for granted :redface: as I know the process more on RAF Medical Officers more then the British Army, but do ask a medical officer on their opening events! But! the important thing is you would have to pass all the selection process, and at then end, they will create your contact of service, you’d be able to adjust your years and ask more about your consultancy level, if your not happy, you can also leave as well. The army is really flexible actually, but do ask their officers!
Hope this helps :smile:
Yes, I think so it can be like that! I do know they let their Medics out to take a year on some training at hospitals or gain a specialty degree. Though don’t take my word for granted :redface: as I know the process more on RAF Medical Officers more then the British Army, but do ask a medical officer on their opening events! But! the important thing is you would have to pass all the selection process, and at then end, they will create your contact of service, you’d be able to adjust your years and ask more about your consultancy level, if your not happy, you can also leave as well. The army is really flexible actually, but do ask their officers!
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! Thats what I've read about too - if you do decide to do specialty training eg. abroad, and the Army says no, are you able to leave? I've read somewhere a line along "opt out 4 years from the start of officer training" (so before the Sandhurst course?). Because I am interested and I'd like to include the army in my career but I do want to do my residency abroad and then return for the 4 years so I'm not sure how that would work.
Thank you! Thats what I've read about too - if you do decide to do specialty training eg. abroad, and the Army says no, are you able to leave? I've read somewhere a line along "opt out 4 years from the start of officer training" (so before the Sandhurst course?). Because I am interested and I'd like to include the army in my career but I do want to do my residency abroad and then return for the 4 years so I'm not sure how that would work.

No worries! So you could do a residency probably international, but they would highly suggest to do it here, in the UK. There will be restrictions on countries that you CANNOT go! And it also depends on that International countries acceptance to have a member of the armed forces to work alongside. So there is a possibility, that entirely depends on where and when!
No worries! So you could do a residency probably international, but they would highly suggest to do it here, in the UK. There will be restrictions on countries that you CANNOT go! And it also depends on that International countries acceptance to have a member of the armed forces to work alongside. So there is a possibility, that entirely depends on where and when!

Would US / Canada be on the list?
Would US / Canada be on the list?

Oh those two are fine! Surly the British Army can refer you to there
Oh those two are fine! Surly the British Army can refer you to there

TBH, sounds like it could be a serious option to consider should I get an offer from an A100 and go there instead of a GEM program.
TBH, sounds like it could be a serious option to consider should I get an offer from an A100 and go there instead of a GEM program.

Either is fine, I’d recommend GEM (lesser years in studying) therefore you’d focus on your Officer Ranks, as reaching consultancy level is soo hard and takes such a long time. Since GEM is intensive, just like the initial army training, you wouldn’t slip focus. However A100 requires more time in studying, which may make your training also distanced, and therefore recalling training and studies at the same time is hard. However, this all depends on personal abilities.
Army or any kind of Armed Forces is a serious but honouring duty. As a Medical Officer, you are responsible for the soldiers and the Squadron teams life if any kind of incidents happened. A commissioned military rank puts you in a higher position then any civilian, therefore leaders would want you, as an experienced, multi-disciplined human.
Medicine as a second undergraduate degree, you're able to get maintenance loan. So It's just a matter of forking up 9k tuition each year. If you work your butt off you can do it yourself. You can also find bursaries through Uni (certain students who meet criteria can get yearly bursaries of up to 1.5k is the most I've seen from some uni's) or other places.

I know of people who are currently funding themselves these ways. It does mean working before or alongside a challenging degree and maybe even having family help out for a few thousand. But it is entirely possible even more so than even getting into med school lol
(edited 2 years ago)
Either is fine, I’d recommend GEM (lesser years in studying) therefore you’d focus on your Officer Ranks, as reaching consultancy level is soo hard and takes such a long time. Since GEM is intensive, just like the initial army training, you wouldn’t slip focus. However A100 requires more time in studying, which may make your training also distanced, and therefore recalling training and studies at the same time is hard. However, this all depends on personal abilities.
Army or any kind of Armed Forces is a serious but honouring duty. As a Medical Officer, you are responsible for the soldiers and the Squadron teams life if any kind of incidents happened. A commissioned military rank puts you in a higher position then any civilian, therefore leaders would want you, as an experienced, multi-disciplined human.

For GEM I wouldn't need the funding so I wouldn't join the Army if I got in to those courses (I'd just do MSF/Army/whatnot later in my career).

That's such an interesting role, exactly what I want to do.
For GEM I wouldn't need the funding so I wouldn't join the Army if I got in to those courses (I'd just do MSF/Army/whatnot later in my career).

That's such an interesting role, exactly what I want to do.

Well that entirely depends on you! You could get an Army sponsorship to fund the final 3 years until GDMO (general duties medical officer) in Foundations year. Or find other government funding schemes, or like you said, MSF. But this entirely depends on your area of interest, trauma surgeon is usually the best in the army, flight (aeromedical) doctor is for Air Force, and a General Doctor is either good in Navy, Marines, Army or Air Force. They’d fund you for your course, and push up your skills of medical field to the max.

I’m also applying to UG A100 medicine too (haven’t got a degree yet :rolleyes:) and also pursuing to join RAF as a Medical Officer, they’d fund my final 3 years and I’ll be able to take a year out to take a MSc of Aerospace Medicine at King’s hopefully :colondollar: by FY2 I’d be a Flight lieutenant, already transitioning between UK and US for their specialty.
Well that entirely depends on you! You could get an Army sponsorship to fund the final 3 years until GDMO (general duties medical officer) in Foundations year. Or find other government funding schemes, or like you said, MSF. But this entirely depends on your area of interest, trauma surgeon is usually the best in the army, flight (aeromedical) doctor is for Air Force, and a General Doctor is either good in Navy, Marines, Army or Air Force. They’d fund you for your course, and push up your skills of medical field to the max.

I’m also applying to UG A100 medicine too (haven’t got a degree yet :rolleyes:) and also pursuing to join RAF as a Medical Officer, they’d fund my final 3 years and I’ll be able to take a year out to take a MSc of Aerospace Medicine at King’s hopefully :colondollar: by FY2 I’d be a Flight lieutenant, already transitioning between UK and US for their specialty.

That sounds like a great plan! And like you said, the experience you'll get will be extremely valuable. The (I'm assuming intercalated) MSc sounds interesting, I was similarly looking at the iBSc in Remote Medicine @ Imperial. I guess the only catch of course is the 6 years of service...
That sounds like a great plan! And like you said, the experience you'll get will be extremely valuable. The (I'm assuming intercalated) MSc sounds interesting, I was similarly looking at the iBSc in Remote Medicine @ Imperial. I guess the only catch of course is the 6 years of service...

Ooh that’s cool! I’m applying to A100 Imperial Medicine too! Yes, I’d also say go for UG Medicine if their iBSc offers a range of good clinical practices. Imperial is the only 1 that has those good branches for iBSc, though i can’t take a MSc as I’d have to finish all MBBS and iBSc course affiliated with initial training, so I’d guess I’ll be doing MSc after FY1 and 2 (take a year out of my 6 years service) then continue on my services.
Sounds like you got a good plan too, go for it!! :smile:
Ooh that’s cool! I’m applying to A100 Imperial Medicine too! Yes, I’d also say go for UG Medicine if their iBSc offers a range of good clinical practices. Imperial is the only 1 that has those good branches for iBSc, though i can’t take a MSc as I’d have to finish all MBBS and iBSc course affiliated with initial training, so I’d guess I’ll be doing MSc after FY1 and 2 (take a year out of my 6 years service) then continue on my services.
Sounds like you got a good plan too, go for it!! :smile:

Ooh its a great school! I wanted to apply there for a full degree but living in London (I'd be paying +200/week rent, tuition fees and living fees myself :s-smilie:) just came to be impossible but thats why I'm going for a few A100 that allow intercalation away so I could still apply for the iBSc at Imperial if I wanted to. The range at Imperial is amazing. Other schools didn't really have anything similar apart from Critical Care which again is an option. Where else are you thinking?

Ah of course! I've met some doctors who did that after F1-2 so during core training if I remember correctly, one did a PhD and another a masters course.

Quick Reply

Latest