The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GANFYD
I don't know how they score their interview, sorry

That’s fine mate,Thank you very much for your help 👍.
Hello @GANFYD
Thank you for all the invaluable help you offering for me and other people on tsr!
I'm a bit confused by the different routes for st Andrew's medical program.
Is there any difference other than that you will get to do the last 3 years in either English or Scottish unies?
Also does the selection process/ucat threshold vary depending on which rout you choose?
Thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by mahmoud123
Hello @GANFYD
Thank you for all the invaluable help you offering for me and other people on tsr!
I'm a bit confused by the different routes for st Andrew's medical program.
Is there any difference other than that you will get to do the last 3 years in either English or Scottish unies?
Also does the selection process/ucat threshold vary depending on which rout you choose?
Thank you

Everyone does 3 years in St Andrews, then students split to English (Manchester or Barts) med schools or Scottish (Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee) med schools to complete their clinical training.
The selection process is the same, but UCAT cut offs have been slightly different in previous years, although it has varied as to which is highest, and usually only by about 10 points
Original post by GANFYD
Everyone does 3 years in St Andrews, then students split to English (Manchester or Barts) med schools or Scottish (Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee) med schools to complete their clinical training.
The selection process is the same, but UCAT cut offs have been slightly different in previous years, although it has varied as to which is highest, and usually only by about 10 points

Are there different number of offers/places for the two routes. As this is likely to affect the number of interviewes or the ratio of offers/interviews?
Reply 64
Are there different number of offers/places for the two routes. As this is likely to affect the number of interviewes or the ratio of offers/interviews?

Have a look at the data posted further up the thread
Hi I was with wondering if I could apply to st Andrews with these stats:

UCAT: 2750 SJT band 4 (this is worrying me)

GCSEs: 9,9,9,9,9,9,9,9,8,7

A level predicted grades: A* A* A*

I have a solid personal statement and reference

I am an overseas applicant, and I think the UCAT threshold is quite low for overseas, although I’m concerned about my SJT, do you reckon if I do really well in the interview, I could make up for my SJT?
Reply 66
Hi can someone please give me some advice. Wanted to go down the no preference route but the only thing I could see on the UCAS application was “other partner medical school years 4-6” so I selected this. Can someone please confirm this is the right one? Thank you
@TCL hello,
I've got an urgent question:
Do you think If I'm ok with both the English and the Scottish routes I should choose no preference.
Do you think that makes my chances better somehow?
Many thanks in advance
@TCL hello,
I've got an urgent question:
Do you think If I'm ok with both the English and the Scottish routes I should choose no preference.
Do you think that makes my chances better somehow?
Many thanks in advance

Yes I think you get considered for both pools
Hi, I have a question:

Does St Andrews pool students according to their preferred routes or whether they are Scottish, RUK or international?

Thank you so much in advance :smile:
Original post by a.dsouza1_
Hi, I have a question:

Does St Andrews pool students according to their preferred routes or whether they are Scottish, RUK or international?

Thank you so much in advance :smile:

Looking at last year's - they allocated interviews by Scottish, RUK, International - started with the highest UCAT first. First interviews given out around 11th Nov, no choice of date, interviews took place very quickly after this (26th ish).
(edited 2 years ago)
Help please !! So St andrews have emailed me asking which route I would like to go to, can someone advice on which route would be the least competitive please??
Original post by Medic1214
Help please !! So St andrews have emailed me asking which route I would like to go to, can someone advice on which route would be the least competitive please??

Did you select no preference on UCAS - thought they allocated you later if you did this?
Hey everyone, i’ve been looking around online and i’m confused about the usual ucat cut off for st. andrews, some saying around 2400 some saying around 2700? does anyone know what one is more accurate?
Original post by isabelle_04
Hey everyone, i’ve been looking around online and i’m confused about the usual ucat cut off for st. andrews, some saying around 2400 some saying around 2700? does anyone know what one is more accurate?

Depends on your fee status and whether you are widening participation
Original post by Angiogram1

So for the 2400 is that most likely to be for widening participation then you think?

scottish fee status, non widening?
Original post by Medic1214
So for the 2400 is that most likely to be for widening participation then you think?

My guess is that is a cut off - if you look earlier for the admission stats under FOI it was >2500 then. They only interview a set number of people (300?? Or 400 can’t remember) so will work down from the top scores in each pool till they get the number the want to interview. Also bear in mind widening participation get 10% added to their score, so while the score per the FOI may say 2500 that might be 2750 if they are WP thus cut off could be much higher
praying for a lower ucat cut off that 2710 this year 😭😭
My guess is that is a cut off - if you look earlier for the admission stats under FOI it was >2500 then. They only interview a set number of people (300?? Or 400 can’t remember) so will work down from the top scores in each pool till they get the number the want to interview. Also bear in mind widening participation get 10% added to their score, so while the score per the FOI may say 2500 that might be 2750 if they are WP thus cut off could be much higher

so hopefully the scores will be closer to the 2400 mark for wp meaning the cut off will be a bit lower, praying for that at least haha

Latest

Trending

Trending