The Student Room Group

PGDE - Scotland 2022 Applicants Thread!

Scroll to see replies

So glad to find this thread! Myself and my partner were supposed to apply last year but had to defer as we aren't Scottish nationals so our fees got hiked up to International fees :frown:

Myself and my partner have applied for Primary in Strathclyde, Aberdeen, and Glasgow. We've heard nothing back about interviews yet, we've just had the acknowledgment emails. Hoping all the interviews are done by Zoom/Teams as we're in Asia right now.

We're both currently teaching in South East Asia and will have about 7 - 8 years of classroom experience across Thailand and Vietnam by the time the course starts ranging from Kindergarten all the way to High School.

Very nervous as we've been waiting a long time for this so hoping it all works out for us! Good luck to everyone else :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by Teach2021
Same thing happened to me last year with UWS. I have my degree now and got an interview. I was so disheartened last year, I only got invited to interview for Dundee but never got in. I have graduated now hopefully im successful this year. Good luck

Hi there and congratulations on your interview. Can I ask do you have an honours degree? I wondered if worth applying to UWS if not. Thanks.
Original post by Jcq6
Hi there and congratulations on your interview. Can I ask do you have an honours degree? I wondered if worth applying to UWS if not. Thanks.

Hi, thank you. Yes I have an honours degree. You should still apply without honours, i don’t recall seeing anywhere they prioritise honours degrees but I would check. Hopefully you have the same shot as everyone else!
Sorry, I gave you incorrect information. I just read on the UWS Pgde course page that you are required to hold an honours degree
Hi all! So helpful to find this! Just turned in my application yesterday for PGDE Primary at Glasgow, Strathclyde, Edinburgh, UWS and UHI Perth. I have a BA and MA in history and am finishing up my PhD just now at Glasgow uni. I did my BA in the US, so I'm not sure about it, though from what I can tell it would convert into hons?
I'm a bit nervous about the experience, seeing how much experience some people have! I have worked with primary students for years as my job since 2018 has been Education Officer at a heritage site, so I work with teachers and create and put on education visits based on the CfE, and I've run seminars at Glasgow uni for first-year students, but I've only just been able to start in-classroom experience, so I'll only have around 40 hours by the time I (hopefully) get an interview. My boss at the castle wrote my reference, and she's seen me working with primary children for years, so I'm sure it's good, just a bit worried seeing how many qualified people have been turned down!
Original post by BlythePaterson
Hi all! So helpful to find this! Just turned in my application yesterday for PGDE Primary at Glasgow, Strathclyde, Edinburgh, UWS and UHI Perth. I have a BA and MA in history and am finishing up my PhD just now at Glasgow uni. I did my BA in the US, so I'm not sure about it, though from what I can tell it would convert into hons?
I'm a bit nervous about the experience, seeing how much experience some people have! I have worked with primary students for years as my job since 2018 has been Education Officer at a heritage site, so I work with teachers and create and put on education visits based on the CfE, and I've run seminars at Glasgow uni for first-year students, but I've only just been able to start in-classroom experience, so I'll only have around 40 hours by the time I (hopefully) get an interview. My boss at the castle wrote my reference, and she's seen me working with primary children for years, so I'm sure it's good, just a bit worried seeing how many qualified people have been turned down!

Good luck. The fact you have experience with children is a bonus as I imagine a lot of applicants won’t have any due to the pandemic. I was so disappointed last year when I didn’t get in but staying positive this year. I found these forums so helpful last year.
Hi everyone, best of luck with your applications! I did PGDE Primary at Glasgow University last year and am currently on my probation year. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has - just pop me a message :smile:
Original post by ughfetjgero
Hi everyone, best of luck with your applications! I did PGDE Primary at Glasgow University last year and am currently on my probation year. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has - just pop me a message :smile:

Hi, do you have any interview tips? I had only one last year (I was in my last year of my degree) but I was unsuccessful. I didn’t receive any feedback so not quite sure what I could do to improve. Although I do feel I was underprepared in terms of my CfE knowledge and my nerves got the better of me also.

Hello there, congratulations on being in your probation year. I was wondering interview wise, what did you do most prep into? Did you research CofE a lot ? I am currently in a primary school volunteering part time around my current job. Many thanks and best of luck x

Also, do you thing degree classification has any bearing on receiving an offer or is it solely down to interview performance?
Hi, do you have any interview tips? I had only one last year (I was in my last year of my degree) but I was unsuccessful. I didn’t receive any feedback so not quite sure what I could do to improve. Although I do feel I was underprepared in terms of my CfE knowledge and my nerves got the better of me also.

Aw sorry to hear that, that's annoying that you didn't get any feedback as well! It's cliche but take a big deep breath and try to relax as much as you can - I find focusing on slowing down the pace at which I'm talking helps me to come off less flustered as well and not stumble over my words. The interviewers are really just looking to see what experience you've gained and what you've learned from it. Can you apply any aspects of CfE or GIRFEC to any experience you've had as well? Hope that helps!

Original post by AbsT1980
Hello there, congratulations on being in your probation year. I was wondering interview wise, what did you do most prep into? Did you research CofE a lot ? I am currently in a primary school volunteering part time around my current job. Many thanks and best of luck x

I did a little bit of prep and made sure I was aware of the main parts of the curriculum, GIRFEC, 4 capacities etc. If you can apply it to any experience you've had so far it shows your understanding of it too :smile: don't over think it as you'll know more than you think - practice talking about your different experiences with others. Hope this helps!

Also, do you thing degree classification has any bearing on receiving an offer or is it solely down to interview performance?

Not sure to be honest - I had a 2:1 when I applied. I would imagine that a strong application with good experience would outweigh your degree classification. I did Primary though so it might be different for secondary!
I will try to relate any experience back to CfE, GIRFEC etc. Thank you for the tips.
Hi,

I have applied for Glasgow, Strathclyde, Dundee, Aberdeen and UHI to do my PGDE Primary. Has anyone heard anything back from any of these universities yet? I'm constantly checking UCAS track for updates - it is becoming rather addictive!

Good luck to everyone that has applied.
Original post by galantina19
Hi,

I have applied for Glasgow, Strathclyde, Dundee, Aberdeen and UHI to do my PGDE Primary. Has anyone heard anything back from any of these universities yet? I'm constantly checking UCAS track for updates - it is becoming rather addictive!

I’ve had receipt emails from all but Strathclyde, still waiting on the “pending decision “. That is what Edinburgh university hub calls it. 🙈
Original post by galantina19
Hi,

I haven’t heard back from Glasgow, Strathclyde or Dundee yet either. When did you apply?
I haven’t heard back from Glasgow, Strathclyde or Dundee yet either. When did you apply?

I've also gone for primary at Glasgow Strathclyde and UHI, (then UWS and Edinburgh), I applied Friday and have had the confirmation/pending email from UHI, Edinburgh and UWS but nothing from Strathclyde or Glasgow yet
Original post by Chlo_07
I know I'm super early but thought I'd get the ball rolling!

Applying for 2022 PGDE, anyone else? Who are you using as reference? Where are you applying? Are you in your final year or have you graduated? The usual questions :smile:

Starting to feel super nervous about not being able to get experience the past year because of Covid, anyone else having this problem?

Good luck guys :h:

Heyyy 🥰

I’m applying for PGDE in secondary for modern studies / religious studies!

I’ve put two options for University of Glasgow, one for Strathclyde, one for UWS so far

I’m on my last year at Uni of Glasgow doing Politics (but I have enough credits in religion and philosophy to do religion) Not applied yet, just about to ask my dissertation supervisor for a reference as he has taught me in summer school and a class as well as supervise me this year. Plus my dissertation is on the education institution so it will all make sense to him 😂 is asking your supervisor okay does anyone know?

I’m sitting at a 2.2 rn i for :frown: but I’m like .6 points away from a 2.1 so hopefully I manage to get that. Although a 2.2 degree is all that’s needed to go back to Glasgow for modern studies anyway (apparently??) Glasgow is my top choice, not just because I enjoy studying there but I really would like the Catholic teaching certificate!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by RMcD94
In addition, does anyone know if interviews will be held online at the end of the year/start of next year? I might not be in the country so it would be difficult to attend if they must be in person.

I know Dundee will be online -they said on their website.

I'm also still abroad teaching EFL. I've been teaching abroad since 2010, but mostly older kids. I also have applied for Primary
Same thing happened to me last year with UWS. I have my degree now and got an interview. I was so disheartened last year, I only got invited to interview for Dundee but never got in. I have graduated now hopefully im successful this year. Good luck

Did Dundee give you any feedback?
I've applied to UHI Perth and Dundee. Does anyone know if they do literacy / numeracy tests (I have As from GCSE level)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending