The Student Room Group

A level English literature

To anyone who is taking English literature. How are you finding it? Do you enjoy it?
I'm currently in my first year of English Literature (so AS-Level) and yeah, I'd say I'm finding it fairly enjoyable! English Literature was one of my favourite subjects at GCSE though so I could be more biased than others haha. I won't lie though, there definitely is a big difference in the quality of the work you must produce as well as the reading you have to do in and outside of the classroom.

I'm doing alright with poetry analysis, it's the drama aspect of the course that I've gotta get to grips with in terms of memorisation and linking that all together. I hear the exams can be harder than other subjects too in terms of its easy to pass but harder to get those top marks, as compared to a subject like maths where you have to jump the hurdle of understanding and applying equations, then getting A's and A*'s gets easy ... but yeah! It's definitely an enjoyable subject in my opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by quartz_quadrant
I'm currently in my first year of English Literature (so AS-Level) and yeah, I'd say I'm finding it fairly enjoyable! English Literature was one of my favourite subjects at GCSE though so I could be more biased than others haha. I won't lie though, there definitely is a big difference in the quality of the work you must produce as well as the reading you have to do in and outside of the classroom.

I'm doing alright with poetry analysis, it's the drama aspect of the course that I've gotta get to grips with in terms of memorisation and linking that all together. I hear the exams can be harder than other subjects too in terms of its easy to pass but harder to get those top marks, as compared to a subject like maths where you have to jump the hurdle of understanding and applying equations, then getting A's and A*'s gets easy ... but yeah! It's definitely an enjoyable subject in my opinion.

Thank you! I am considering choosing English lit and an a level but many people have said they went from getting too grades at gcse in English lit to getting low grades like E’s when they did the a level English lit. Did that happen to you?
Original post by Onetros
Thank you! I am considering choosing English lit and an a level but many people have said they went from getting too grades at gcse in English lit to getting low grades like E’s when they did the a level English lit. Did that happen to you?

No problem! As for your other question, I haven't got any finalised grades for Eng Lit since we haven't done exams yet (my first mock is tomorrow actually lol) but in general, I'm still attaining a decent quality of work so I wouldn't say I'm in the same boat as people like that. It really depends on the person themselves and how much they're willing to work to achieve good grades. It can also fall down to personal circumstances intervening, the quality of teaching or a disinterest in the texts studied.

Either way, while it's good to take other people's experiences into account, I'd still take them with a pinch of salt since no student will perform exactly the same as you or anyone else! If you genuinely enjoy the subject, have a good grip on analyzation at GCSE and can handle a heavier workload with other subjects then I'd say go for it!
Original post by Onetros
To anyone who is taking English literature. How are you finding it? Do you enjoy it?

I'm in Year 13, and I love English lit - I'm applying to do it at uni.
Whether you would enjoy it or not is a very personal opinion, if you love reading, thinking about different perspectives and ideas and are open to different texts and authors I'd recommend it.
It's usual that you're grades are lower when you first start - GCSE English essays are very different to A-level essays, but you get used to it over time.
It's probably important to think about what you want to do after A-level, but even if you don't go into anything English-based it's a good one to have anyway - especially if you enjoy it.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by maddy1809
I'm in Year 13, and I love English lit - I'm applying to do it at uni.
Whether you would enjoy it or not is a very personal opinion, if you love reading, thinking about different perspectives and ideas and are open to different texts and authors I'd recommend it.
It's usual that you're grades are lower when you first start - GCSE English essays are very different to A-level essays, but you get used to it over time.
It's probably important to think about what you want to do after A-level, but even if you don't go into anything English-based it's a good one to have anyway - especially if you enjoy it.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest