The Student Room Group

Does alcohol affect running performance the day after?

Last night I had a bottle of red wine 13%. I had 8 hours sleep. This morning i had a cup of tea and I went for a training run and it was terrible. I was panting and breathless compared to the same run only 5 days before.

Is it true that with less water in your body the release of energy to drive your muscles and provide energy from glucose and ATP is slowed down making you fatigued and breathless a lot sooner?
(edited 2 years ago)
Red wine is a very dehydrating drink. It impacting your performance the next day is to be expected.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Last night I had a bottle of red wine 13%. I had 8 hours sleep. This morning i had a cup of tea and I went for a training run and it was terrible. I was panting and breathless compared to the same run only 5 days before.

Is it true that with less water in your body the release of energy to drive your muscles and provide energy from glucose and ATP is slowed down making you fatigued and breathless a lot sooner?

Best thing is don't drink alcohol if you are planning long run next day as don't mix I'm afraid.
Been there myself and learnt from it so I hardly drink alcohol now especially if I'm going long run following day or on a near 13 hours shift at work next day.

Does alcohol affect performance the next day....
A hangover will affect your exercise performance. ... This is a risk which significantly increases during exercise up to two days after heavy alcohol consumption. To get the most from your exercise session and avoid risks to your health and performance, it's best to pass on alcohol for at least one day and night before.

Can I run a day after drinking alcohol.....
Is it ever beneficial to run with a hangover? Sadly, you cannot “sweat out” alcohol. The work has to be done by the liver. Fresh air and gentle exercise can help clear your head and, of course, you'll burn off the excess liquid calories.

Does drinking the night before affect running.......
Alcohol is a powerful diuretic, and dehydration is never a runner's friend. The risk for muscle cramps, muscle pulls, muscle strains and general fatigue increases when dehydrated, so drinking extra water after a night of hitting the bars is more than necessary to regulate your body for your next run.

Quick Reply

Latest