The Student Room Group

2 A-levels in 15 months??

I finished college last year in May where I completed BTECS. Unfortunately due to COVID and home stresses, my grades were not good (D,M,P). I want to study English at uni but of course would need decent a levels for this. I want to do a level Biology and English lit in time for the 2023 exams. I want to know if this will be achievable?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Do you mean the 2023 exams?
Reply 2
Original post by EOData
Do you mean the 2023 exams?

Yes, sorry
Original post by Izzy68xx
I finished college last year in May where I completed BTECS. Unfortunately due to COVID and home stresses, my grades were not good (D,M,P). I want to study English at uni but of course would need decent a levels for this. I want to do a level Biology and English lit in time for the 2023 exams. I want to know if this will be achievable?

What were your BTECs? Two A levels in fifteen months is completely do-able, but you usually need three A levels or more to apply to a normal undergraduate programme - are you thinking of offering a combination of these new A levels and your existing BTECs or something? If you are, I'd be sure to check with your prospective unis that they'd accept this combination as meeting their entry criteria, both in terms of different examination sittings and the mix-and-match.

An Access course would probably be a better option - cheaper (actually free if you go on to HE) and designed to only take a year, rather than two years like the A levels. Have you considered this option?
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
What were your BTECs? Two A levels in fifteen months is completely do-able, but you usually need three A levels or more to apply to a normal undergraduate programme - are you thinking of offering a combination of these new A levels and your existing BTECs or something? If you are, I'd be sure to check with your prospective unis that they'd accept this combination as meeting their entry criteria, both in terms of different examination sittings and the mix-and-match.

An Access course would probably be a better option - cheaper (actually free if you go on to HE) and designed to only take a year, rather than two years like the A levels. Have you considered this option?

Health & social care diploma (M,P) and Media subsidiary diploma (D). I was thinking of offering them yeah, I checked with some unis and some say will accept in BTECs in combination with two A levels at AA. I had a look at Access courses but my main concern with them is they might limit me on my degree options if I should change my mind on English.
Original post by Izzy68xx
Health & social care diploma (M,P) and Media subsidiary diploma (D). I was thinking of offering them yeah, I checked with some unis and some say will accept in BTECs in combination with two A levels at AA. I had a look at Access courses but my main concern with them is they might limit me on my degree options if I should change my mind on English.

I see. Good to hear that some unis will accept this combination - I presume the fact that you will have sat your BTECs and A levels in different years won't be a problem?

I think the first thing for you to do in this case is make your mind up whether you want to do English or something else at uni, and then do the best preparatory course to make that happen - be it an Access course or A levels. An Access to Humanities course leaves plenty of options open in the arts/humanities area, and not just English. Was this the area you were interested in?

The problem with biology is going to be the practical endorsement, and possibly the cost. Most universities will insist on your passing the practical endorsement (NEA) as part of accepting the A level - you need to check whether your unis will waive this requirement (which they might, if you're going to apply for English, rather than a science degree). If they don't, and you have to take the NEA, then this will cost £3000+ with an online provider like the NEC or possibly less if you could arrange it at a local centre, such as your old school or college - the problem there is that they won't be set up to do all twelve practicals in a year and so might be unwilling to host you.

If there is no possibility that you might want to do a science at university (and it's not really a possibility with only one science A level anyway), I'd recommend you reconsider taking biology, and do an alternative which (a) is more relevant to your chosen arts/humanities course of study, and (b) doesn't have any NEA requirements to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest