The Student Room Group

Chelsea F.C. Thread IX

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by GrandMedic
That's fair but then the problem is you're massively overestimating Pogba to fill that role imo. The guy will give you a wonder game once every 5 games but he'll ghost the rest. We can hope it's just United's system holding him back since that team turns anyone to ****.

Yeah with Christensen and Rudi most likely leaving, an ageing Silva and Azpi with this shambolic form the past few games, we might need 2 new CBs. Alonso's only ability is to score volleys or half volleys with his left at the far post. The guy has no other attributes. It's so easy to see when the team channels the ball to the right and into James. You rarely ever see anything come from the left since Chillwell got injured.

I think Pogba would be perfect, same way that Fabregas was perfect, we don't need the defensive stability, we need to be able to break these sit back and counter teams down, Pogba doesn't need to start big games, Kante + Kovacic would suffice there but we have an issue against the mid table sides breaking them down. I think we need one creative midfielder for that. Take it this way Lukaku has an excellent game today but we still have issues creating chances and putting teams to bed, we could have scored 5 today but we scored 2. It's not as simple as buy a striker. Our issue is with the final pass, but the final pass is easier if we can transition better vs the park the bus sides.

Also with our defenders going/ageing and us not knowing if the defence can be improved upon with signings, I think we should focus on how we create chances. Today e.g. Rudiger was busy making the Luis style passes but surely that's also a job for our midfielders.

United have a similar problem where they can't attack on the right because Wan Bissaka was playing there. Our fullback situation is awful when you consider that we sold Livramento and Lamptey, as well as loaning Emerson, all for us to be using Alonso, a CM and Sarr there instead.

Another thing is that Lukaku runs the channels and likes the ball into space but we take ages to transition so he's often complaining that the ball wasn't given into him early enough.
Original post by Fenneko
In all seriousness, how likely do you think it is that Arsenal could get 3rd? Chelsea's form atm is really bad.

Possible but rest of the league games don't matter to us. You're facing Spurs soon so maybe lock top 4 first.
Original post by bj27
I think Pogba would be perfect, same way that Fabregas was perfect, we don't need the defensive stability, we need to be able to break these sit back and counter teams down, Pogba doesn't need to start big games, Kante + Kovacic would suffice there but we have an issue against the mid table sides breaking them down. I think we need one creative midfielder for that. Take it this way Lukaku has an excellent game today but we still have issues creating chances and putting teams to bed, we could have scored 5 today but we scored 2. It's not as simple as buy a striker. Our issue is with the final pass, but the final pass is easier if we can transition better vs the park the bus sides.

Also with our defenders going/ageing and us not knowing if the defence can be improved upon with signings, I think we should focus on how we create chances. Today e.g. Rudiger was busy making the Luis style passes but surely that's also a job for our midfielders.

United have a similar problem where they can't attack on the right because Wan Bissaka was playing there. Our fullback situation is awful when you consider that we sold Livramento and Lamptey, as well as loaning Emerson, all for us to be using Alonso, a CM and Sarr there instead.

Another thing is that Lukaku runs the channels and likes the ball into space but we take ages to transition so he's often complaining that the ball wasn't given into him early enough.

I can agree with you on that. Though creating chances is usually less of a problem when everyone's fit.

Lukaku however is going to need to get on a good run of form before I even get my hopes up.
Reply 1383
In any case, unless we're getting certain proven strikers(which is funny because that's literally what Lukaku is, a 20 goal a season PL striker) then I don't see the point of wasting the budget on that.

I miss Hazard. Bring him back because the decision making of our creative players is 0/10.
Just a reminder that Lukaku was more expensive than Halland

A couple of points:

- Haaland had a release clause hence going for that fee otherwise Dortmund would've insisted on over 100mil
- Haaland will only turn 22 this summer and he's played in Norway, Austria and Germany. No doubt he is a talent but still unproven to the premier league (though I expect him to smash it)
- Lukaku was sold at the prime of his career at 28 and had already done it in England and shown he is a consistent goalscorer
Reply 1386

I know, well I said already I'd rather have havertz for another year and try for Haaland, Broja having a solid season for Southampton and Abraham having a good season for Roma only further solidifies my point.

I hope people don't come up with the nonsense that we are only a striker away, we've had quality strikers but they don't work in the system. We're stuck with Lukaku anyway for now.
Original post by bj27
I know, well I said already I'd rather have havertz for another year and try for Haaland, Broja having a solid season for Southampton and Abraham having a good season for Roma only further solidifies my point.

I hope people don't come up with the nonsense that we are only a striker away, we've had quality strikers but they don't work in the system. We're stuck with Lukaku anyway for now.

The other problem is that time passes and then other cracks appear in the squad.

Last summer everyone thought you needed a striker and Lukaku would be the final piece.

This summer, there are question marks over Kante, Saul will presumably return to Atletico and then Rudiger and Christensen leave on frees and possibly Azpi leaves too so then you need a bunch of new defenders and maybe a midfielder or two as well.
Original post by Zerforax
A couple of points:

- Haaland had a release clause hence going for that fee otherwise Dortmund would've insisted on over 100mil
- Haaland will only turn 22 this summer and he's played in Norway, Austria and Germany. No doubt he is a talent but still unproven to the premier league (though I expect him to smash it)
- Lukaku was sold at the prime of his career at 28 and had already done it in England and shown he is a consistent goalscorer

I'd argue his age and the fact that he's one of the most sought after young players would increase his value compared to Lukaku.
Lukaku was proven you're right but he's was only declining in the prem in the last couple of years he was there so I never understand that argument. If we could go back to 2016/17, then sure.
Original post by bj27

I don't mind trying Broja alongside Havertz. CBs and LWB should be priority or we'll look like Liverpool without van dijk.
I'd argue his age and the fact that he's one of the most sought after young players would increase his value compared to Lukaku.
Lukaku was proven you're right but he's was only declining in the prem in the last couple of years he was there so I never understand that argument. If we could go back to 2016/17, then sure.

Well the release clause dictated the transfer fee.

And the lower transfer fee meant Haaland was able to negotiate a bigger wage packet from Man City.

Just was pointing out that set release fee vs. buying a player on the open market is always going to produce different transfer fees.

It's a bit like saying Mbappe will cost nothing this summer and Lukaku cost 100mil more (but we know that Mbappe is available on a free).
Reply 1391
Lukaku starts the final imo.

Also Kalvin Phillips on the cheap if Leeds get relegated is an option.
Thank **** for that
If I had a choice between Lukaku and Haaland, I would refuse Lukaku like the leaving book I was given on the final day of school and grab Haaland.

Haaland and De Bruyne in the same team should be illegal. The hype and anticipation from the footballing world to see Haaland in the Premier League will be next-level, a bit similar to Ronaldo this season.

Original post by bj27

I think he should come off the bench. No Fabinho means Liverpool will be weaker in midfield, someone like Havertz as a false 9 dropping deep would make life more difficult for Henderson and the centre backs in my opinion.

You might as well sign Philips instead of Rice when Leeds get relegated because he’ll be a lot cheaper, but Man United will want to sign him too.

I’m hoping Liverpool sign Bellingham the season after next 🤞

If Azpilicueta starts in the final, you guys are ****ed. Maybe Tuchel will start James at right centre back, but more likely James at RWB with Chalobah at rcb to combat Diaz’s pace.

I don't mind trying Broja alongside Havertz. CBs and LWB should be priority or we'll look like Liverpool without van dijk.

Kounde is twerking for you guys. You’d be silly not to buy him.
Reply 1394
top four essentially sorted anyway, I don't care if Arsenal come above us if we win the FA cup but would be slightly disappointing eitherway. should really have got 85ish points this year with the squad we had.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1395
Original post by Driving_Mad
If I had a choice between Lukaku and Haaland, I would refuse Lukaku like the leaving book I was given on the final day of school and grab Haaland.

Haaland and De Bruyne in the same team should be illegal. The hype and anticipation from the footballing world to see Haaland in the Premier League will be next-level, a bit similar to Ronaldo this season.

I think he should come off the bench. No Fabinho means Liverpool will be weaker in midfield, someone like Havertz as a false 9 dropping deep would make life more difficult for Henderson and the centre backs in my opinion.

You might as well sign Philips instead of Rice when Leeds get relegated because he’ll be a lot cheaper, but Man United will want to sign him too.

I’m hoping Liverpool sign Bellingham the season after next 🤞

If Azpilicueta starts in the final, you guys are ****ed. Maybe Tuchel will start James at right centre back, but more likely James at RWB with Chalobah at rcb to combat Diaz’s pace.

Kounde is twerking for you guys. You’d be silly not to buy him.

Agreed, well I've mentioned about Haaland many times, that signing is gonna be disgusting for City. think about how pep used Lewandowski and put him to another level. Interestingly, Man City are not in a transition phase, that core of yaya, kompany, aguero, D Silva is gone and they've been replaced. Feel like Tuchel just complained about lack of a striker and his targets were Lukaku and Haaland. Lukaku technically is good because we have good young players, but I'd rather have just used Abraham + Werner + Havertz for another season.

Yeah exactly a Phillips move makes a lot of sense in a financial sense, I do like Rice however.

I think Chalobah coming into the fold midweek means a fair bit, it's also funny that our most recent clean sheets have come when he's in the lineup. I don't like the idea of Azpi vs Diaz. I think Azpi at RWB isn't the worst in the world but with him and Alonso we have the problem of not being able to have dynamic wing backs. Something weird about Alonso is that he generally is good at retaining the ball, it's just that when under pressure he doesn't make progressive passes, he just goes infield or passes backwards.

Feels rather weird going for Kounde as he's more right sided but we need at least 2 defenders if we continue with 3atb so why not have him as one of them. Kovacic being potentially injured is a problem as he's probably been our best player this season but RLC has been very good when he's played as the no.6/8 so I don't think we'll lose that dynamism, plus Kanté will mysteriously be fit for the match despite not playing for weeks like he always does.
Original post by Zerforax
Well the release clause dictated the transfer fee.

And the lower transfer fee meant Haaland was able to negotiate a bigger wage packet from Man City.

Just was pointing out that set release fee vs. buying a player on the open market is always going to produce different transfer fees.

It's a bit like saying Mbappe will cost nothing this summer and Lukaku cost 100mil more (but we know that Mbappe is available on a free).

I didn't argue against the release clause shaping his transfer fee. I just provided arguments against the other points you mentioned with Halland's age and Lukaku 'proven' in the league.

Original post by bj27

He's been injured for a long time and you can tell he's a lost the form he had since returning to the lineup so I'm not as keen as Utd seem to be. At the same time I wouldn't mind because of the lower cost and we know he's got the ability anyway.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1397
He's been injured for a long time and you can tell he's a lost the form he had since returning to the lineup so I'm not as keen as Utd seem to be. At the same time I wouldn't mind because of the lower cost and we know he's got the ability anyway.

Agree but Leeds have been **** this year, partially because he's been injured for a long time.

I guess the other option is wait for Rice to run down his contract and buy him hoping Loftus Cheek steps up as a 6/8 figure for a bit. feel bad for Saul, I feel he definitely could have been used more this season, that december period where we had injuries he could have filled in. How can you be a top player for a side like Atlético and be unused so much for us.
I didn't argue against the release clause shaping his transfer fee. I just provided arguments against the other points you mentioned with Halland's age and Lukaku 'proven' in the league.

Theoretically value is a bit irrelevant because different people will have views on what is important or not.

The open market creates a certain price on a player (including the clubs involved) so we can see why Lukaku cost £100mil for Chelsea to buy from reigning champions Inter Milan.

Would Haaland be worth more if he didn't have a release clause and/or if he played for a bigger / non-selling club like Dortmund? I agree with you, no doubt. Whether that would be 100mil, 120mil, 150mil or 200mil is moot because his circumstances are different with the release clause.
Original post by bj27
Agree but Leeds have been **** this year, partially because he's been injured for a long time.

I guess the other option is wait for Rice to run down his contract and buy him hoping Loftus Cheek steps up as a 6/8 figure for a bit. feel bad for Saul, I feel he definitely could have been used more this season, that december period where we had injuries he could have filled in. How can you be a top player for a side like Atlético and be unused so much for us.

I honestly don't dislike the move especially if Leeds get relegated. It'd be low risk- that is if his value is fairly low and not absurdly inflated just because he's English.

Saul has been a bit hard done from being played slightly out of position early on but you've got to make an impact to fight for your spot. I do wish he was given more minutes in this back end run of league games though. Top 4 is pretty much locked so if it was up to me I'd start him or even give him the full 90 vs leicester and watford and then make the final decision.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest