The Student Room Group

Stuck on choosing further maths modules, pls help!!

Heyy, I'm in year 12 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History (I don't plan to drop anything) and we've just been asked to submit our choices for our Further Maths modules.

I'm really stuck on choosing between Further Pure 2 and Mechanics 1. Everyone says Further Pure is really hard but I love pure maths and want to study it at Uni. I do physics so Mechanics won't be too hard and I do like it but I don't want to just take it for the sake of being easy.

Has anyone taken both Further Pure modules and how was the experience? Would you say you need it/ found it helpful for Uni? Or just any general advice from Further Maths students would be greatly appreciated.

Thank youu! :smile:
Original post by stvles
Heyy, I'm in year 12 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History (I don't plan to drop anything) and we've just been asked to submit our choices for our Further Maths modules.

I'm really stuck on choosing between Further Pure 2 and Mechanics 1. Everyone says Further Pure is really hard but I love pure maths and want to study it at Uni. I do physics so Mechanics won't be too hard and I do like it but I don't want to just take it for the sake of being easy.

Has anyone taken both Further Pure modules and how was the experience? Would you say you need it/ found it helpful for Uni? Or just any general advice from Further Maths students would be greatly appreciated.

What degree are you thinking of?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What degree are you thinking of?

Pure Mathematics or Maths with Computer Science
Original post by stvles
Pure Mathematics or Maths with Computer Science

Which unis do totally pure modules for a Maths degree?

I would do decision for CS - it's very relevant.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Which unis do totally pure modules for a Maths degree?

I would do decision for CS - it's very relevant.

My top choices are Imperial and Cambridge - they both have Pure Maths courses. For other unis like Kings I think I'll have to apply for Maths with something else. The reason I'm interested in CS is the coding - decision maths seems quite uninteresting for me
Reply 5
Original post by stvles

I don't do either further pure module so can't really comment on those but i do take both mechanics ones. I wouldn't call mechanics 1 easy, i agree that taking physics trivializes chapters 1&2 but after that it doesn't help. With chapter 5 being in my opinion harder than anything in CP1 or 2. I think it's probably best to take a look at the content list and see what you think you'll find most interesting.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by stvles
My top choices are Imperial and Cambridge - they both have Pure Maths courses. For other unis like Kings I think I'll have to apply for Maths with something else. The reason I'm interested in CS is the coding - decision maths seems quite uninteresting for me

The Cambridge course is not just pure: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/mathematics

nor is Imperial: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/mathematics-department/mathematics-bsc/

I would look at continuing as broad a range of modules as possible. Decision Maths is the basic of much of modern research ...

Is Maths for you if you consider any of it uninteresting?
Reply 7
Original post by stvles
My top choices are Imperial and Cambridge - they both have Pure Maths courses

I presume by "Pure Maths" you mean a single subject course, not a joint "Maths-with-something" degree? The Cambridge course includes things like Dynamics and Probability in its first year, so it certainly isn't "Pure" in the mathematical sense :smile:

As a general principle, I'd advise doing as much "pure" at A level as possible - even if you get to Uni and find you enjoy Stats or Mechanics more, those courses will still draw on pure techniques. Mechanics certainly isn't a bad choice though - a lot of it involves modelling or problem set-up so it's good practice for uni problems. Also remember that for Cambridge Maths you have to take STEP, so some extra Mechanics (or Stats) can be beneficial to give you more question choice!
Hiya, i'm a second year maths student at University of Nottingham and I would suggest doing a broad range of modules at further maths as this really helps when covering a range of modules at uni. In first year at Nottingham, all modules are compulsory and they range all across different topics.
Reply 9
Do further pure 1 and further mechanics 1. further pure 2 wont help you for step should you need to do it for cambridge, and neither will the decision modules. further stats in FM is really easy but only a few of the topics come up in step which u can self study anyway, whereas the whole further mechanics 1 is part of the syllabus.
I'd do mechanics mostly because it's fascinating. It will add to your physics course, it goes over stuff physics doesn't and goes over things in greater depth. Pure 2 is cool, I'm self studying it and Pure 1 this year (my school didn't let us chose, we did decision 1 and mechanics 1), but it really isn't necessary for the courses you want to do, and won't add anything important whereas mechanics may very well add important stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest