The Student Room Group

Is this outfit formal enough?

Hello

For a school visit to Parliament on a warm day, would this jumper (see attached picture) with black jeans be suitable for the formality of the setting or do I have to buy a blazer/suit?

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
If you have a suit you could just wear a plain white t-shirt and the suit/formal jacket?
Original post by zakramsey
If you have a suit you could just wear a plain white t-shirt and the suit/formal jacket?

Thank you for your reply :smile:
I don’t have any blazers or anything that formal:frown: Would the attached jumper be formal enough or is it too informal for the setting?
(edited 1 year ago)
The attached jumper is fine :smile:,

You wouldn't want to go to Parliament in a suit, shirt and tie even if you had one, to be honest - you're not an MP, you're a visitor. Black's a good shade and the jumper is plain which is good as it would seem ill-fitting to wear something with obnoxious patterns or large logos. You don't see MPs wearing big hot pink ties or orange ties, it's usually blue or black which is pretty professional, as is the jumper. Are you going to wear something underneath like a formal shirt? That could be the cherry on top.
The jumper and black jeans should be fine, but a black top and a pair of black jeans seems a tad bit excessive? On a sunny day aswell, you don't want to be looking all morbid.
Original post by Leslie Knope
The jumper and black jeans should be fine, but a black top and a pair of black jeans seems a tad bit excessive? On a sunny day aswell, you don't want to be looking all morbid.

Agreed, but one can always take a jumper off (if they are wearing something underneath). Do the Houses of Parliament have air conditioning? 😂
Original post by zakramsey
The attached jumper is fine :smile:,

You wouldn't want to go to Parliament in a suit, shirt and tie even if you had one, to be honest - you're not an MP, you're a visitor. Black's a good shade and the jumper is plain which is good as it would seem ill-fitting to wear something with obnoxious patterns or large logos. You don't see MPs wearing big hot pink ties or orange ties, it's usually blue or black which is pretty professional, as is the jumper. Are you going to wear something underneath like a formal shirt? That could be the cherry on top.

Thank you so much for your reply, it has really helped and reassured me.

Yes, I definitely agree with you. I don’t think they can expect sixth form students to behave as if it’s a business meeting. And yes as long as it isn’t anything short or of a very bold colour it’ll be fine.
and yes, sorry that I didn’t make it clear. I will wear a long sleeved shirt underneath of a neutral colour.

thanks again! :smile:
You're welcome! Glad I could help :smile:
Original post by Leslie Knope

Oh yeah I definitely get where you’re coming from, but I think I’ll stick with it because it’s the most formal outfit I have and the jumper has some white frilly sleeves so it won’t be completely black.
I think you would need a lightweight blazer to put on for your warm day.

Quick Reply

Latest