The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Spanish Paper 1 7692/1 - 7 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

AQA A Level Spanish Paper 1 7692/1 - 7 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Tuesday 7th June AM
Length: 2h30

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ahhh this is my first exam and i'm glad to do it!
my favourite of all my exams personally.

i hope our literary extract is exciting! I look forward to that the most.
Reply 2
Original post by kcsjeo
ahhh this is my first exam and i'm glad to do it!
my favourite of all my exams personally.

i hope our literary extract is exciting! I look forward to that the most.

its my favourite exam too if i have to pick one!! but i only always manage to get 4/10 on the translations into spanish ://
Original post by hha1122
its my favourite exam too if i have to pick one!! but i only always manage to get 4/10 on the translations into spanish ://

im the exact same, ive been doing translation practise all week but i cant move from the 4 or 5 marks! they're so nitpicky with every single little thing on the translations
this is also my first exam and my favourite- with translations I just keep practicing the grammar and word order/syntax because that's what lets me down not rlly the vocab
Reply 5
Anyone know whether AQA or exam boards would mark you down for not using accents (tildes) when writing e.g in paper 1 and 2. I sometimes forget to use accents or i'm inconsistent with them. My teachers advised to use accents where possible but that it shouldn't be too much of a big deal. Any thoughts?
Original post by JLars
Anyone know whether AQA or exam boards would mark you down for not using accents (tildes) when writing e.g in paper 1 and 2. I sometimes forget to use accents or i'm inconsistent with them. My teachers advised to use accents where possible but that it shouldn't be too much of a big deal. Any thoughts?

I would assume that they do because it’s a part of the word. Sometimes if you don’t add the accent it can mean something different and you can get docked down. In my previous tests in school my teacher always marked us down if we don’t add an accent
Original post by JLars

For summaries in paper 1, AQA says that it is a 'minor error' if you use an accent incorrectly (or probably if you miss one). But if the meaning of the word is changed, then it is counted as a 'serious error' (you get the ao4 mark out of 7 for the content and the ao3 mark out of 5 for language, so accents may limit the ao3 mark). In the translation into Spanish, errors of accent are fine, unless they are grammatical (I guess if they change the sound of the word or something?) or if the accent causes 'ambiguity'. It does say though, that if an error is repeated again in the same question, you shouldn't be penalised again. For paper 2, it's the same: a 'minor error' as long as the meaning of the word isn't changed. For the ao3 mark (out of 20) for each question/essay, you can get 13-16 with 'some minor errors' but 9-12 with 'a few serious errors'.

I think it is okay, but it does seem like you can easily lose some marks in certain questions - for the other listening/reading questions, I think it's fine, as long as it doesn't change the meaning of the word (since some words are spelt the same, with the only difference being the accent). I hope this makes sense, sorry for the long explanation...
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by simxne_
For summaries in paper 1, AQA says that it is a 'minor error' if you use an accent incorrectly (or probably if you miss one). But if the meaning of the word is changed, then it is counted as a 'serious error' (you get the ao4 mark out of 7 for the content and the ao3 mark out of 5 for language, so accents may limit the ao3 mark). In the translation into Spanish, errors of accent are fine, unless they are grammatical (I guess if they change the sound of the word or something?) or if the accent causes 'ambiguity'. It does say though, that if an error is repeated again in the same question, you shouldn't be penalised again. For paper 2, it's the same: a 'minor error' as long as the meaning of the word isn't changed. For the ao3 mark (out of 20) for each question/essay, you can get 13-16 with 'some minor errors' but 9-12 with 'a few serious errors'.

I think it is okay, but it does seem like you can easily lose some marks in certain questions - for the other listening/reading questions, I think it's fine, as long as it doesn't change the meaning of the word (since some words are spelt the same, with the only difference being the accent). I hope this makes sense, sorry for the long explanation...

This is very useful! Thank you so much for the explanation and time you put in. Makes a lot of sense now. I’ll make sure key words like that at least have accents, will be tough to do so for other words and to remember but will try my best. Any tips for remembering them? Or is it just more so a habit from writing a lot in Spanish so you barely think about it.

Regardless thank you for the response! If you’re sitting the exam too I wish you the best of luck
Original post by JLars
This is very useful! Thank you so much for the explanation and time you put in. Makes a lot of sense now. I’ll make sure key words like that at least have accents, will be tough to do so for other words and to remember but will try my best. Any tips for remembering them? Or is it just more so a habit from writing a lot in Spanish so you barely think about it.

Regardless thank you for the response! If you’re sitting the exam too I wish you the best of luck

Thank you, good luck to you too! I guess with verbs, I have just tried to learn the endings and with other words, I have sort of just ended up learning them... (well, the ones that I know). Sometimes if I'm not sure, I just see what looks right...

- Nouns that have the ending '-ión' usually have an accent on the 'o', but not if it is plural (la organización, las organizaciones or la represión).
- Accents are always on interrogative words when used in terms of a question (por qué, dónde, cómo, qué)

I was told that the rules are complicated, but the general rule that kind of helps me is that words ending with a vowel, 'n' or 's' have emphasis/stress on the penultimate syllable and words ending with consonants that aren't 'n' or 's' have emphasis on the last syllable (I don't know if this rule always works though and 'ia' counts as one syllable). If you remember the pronunciation, then you can figure out if a word follows this rule. If it doesn't it should need an accent - I suppose you can't really check every word, I think I have just tried to remember them over time! But, this is why 'organizaciones' doesn't need an accent since the '-es' added on the end is another syllable (I guess if you added an accent, it wouldn't change anything). Hope that is a bit helpful?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Original post by simxne_
Thank you, good luck to you too! I guess with verbs, I have just tried to learn the endings and with other words, I have sort of just ended up learning them... (well, the ones that I know). Sometimes if I'm not sure, I just see what looks right...

- Nouns that have the ending '-ión' usually have an accent on the 'o', but not if it is plural (la organización, las organizaciones or la represión).
- Accents are always on interrogative words when used in terms of a question (por qué, dónde, cómo, qué)

I was told that the rules are complicated, but the general rule that kind of helps me is that words ending with a vowel, 'n' or 's' have emphasis/stress on the penultimate syllable and words ending with consonants that aren't 'n' or 's' have emphasis on the last syllable (I don't know if this rule always works though and 'ia' counts as one syllable). If you remember the pronunciation, then you can figure out if a word follows this rule. If it doesn't it should need an accent - I suppose you can't really check every word, I think I have just tried to remember them over time! But, this is why 'organizaciones' doesn't need an accent since the '-es' added on the end is another syllable (I guess if you added an accent, it wouldn't change anything). Hope that is a bit helpful?

I learnt those same rules lol. It makes sense but of course in practice it’s very difficult to do for every word, I think I’ll just try my best to make it a thing where I know most words with accents off by heart where those same words are usually very common. Then if I have time in the exam I’ll go back on my writing and check for any other missing accents.

Thank you for your help!
Reply 11
Original post by jessxtaylorx
im the exact same, ive been doing translation practise all week but i cant move from the 4 or 5 marks! they're so nitpicky with every single little thing on the translations

What have you been using to practice translation? Past papers? I think I’ve done practically all of them so not sure where else to get some translation practice. Any suggestions?
Original post by JLars
I learnt those same rules lol. It makes sense but of course in practice it’s very difficult to do for every word, I think I’ll just try my best to make it a thing where I know most words with accents off by heart where those same words are usually very common. Then if I have time in the exam I’ll go back on my writing and check for any other missing accents.

Thank you for your help!

ah okay, we weren't really taught these rules properly so I wasn't sure! yeah, it's probably good to be confident with common words - that would probably cover the majority of words that would come up.
Original post by JLars
What have you been using to practice translation? Past papers? I think I’ve done practically all of them so not sure where else to get some translation practice. Any suggestions?

Me personally, i've been using the Kerboodle resources because they have a ton of translations from Spanish to English and vice versa then I'll mark them when I'm done. I read on another forum that someone has been getting articles from Spanish news websites and translating a paragraph or the whole thing and they found that useful.
how did you all find it?
Reply 15
Original post by Jesstudies
how did you all find it?

I think it went well, I found it a bit more difficult than usual though. Listening was meh, Writing was easy and translation was hard. What about you and anyone else?
Reply 16
Anyone remember what their answers were for question three listening?
Original post by JLars
Anyone remember what their answers were for question three listening?

which one was that?
Original post by JLars
I think it went well, I found it a bit more difficult than usual though. Listening was meh, Writing was easy and translation was hard. What about you and anyone else?

I agree, I thought it was harder than usual, but I think I found listening the hardest, the reading was probably a bit easier than expected (I didn't seem to take as long as I usually do) and the translation was okay ish. Just paper 2 left now!
(edited 1 year ago)
I found it really difficult if I'm honest.. I'm kind of worried because the other girl in my class found it hard too but no one else on student room/twitter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending