The Student Room Group

Drama School or University

I currently do drama, English literature, physics and maths A-level and predicted As and A*s. I would adore to be an actress and feel I would like to go to drama school. However, I wonder about 'wasting my potential' ie if I go to drama school (or don't even get in) and am unsuccessful in building a career I both enjoy and is financially sustainable, I could've made my life better if I studied something else I love like physics. Ultimately, I know it comes down to having faith in myself or taking a leap yada yada- does anyone have any proper advice to cope with this feeling? Or any input as to what I should do? I generally enjoy everything I do, and would say I have an average amount of experience when it comes to acting. I would consider doing an English Literature degree and then going to drama school but 1) money and 2)I fear an English lit degree is pointless. please give me some input?
If there is nothing else you would rather do with your life, go to Drama School.

If it isnt that important, then do a Physics degree and get involved with the University Drama Society.
you can have both! Exeter uni has a combined honours programme where you can study Drama AND Maths.
Reply 3
Apply to Drama school (very competitive) also apply to Uni. Start one. see how it is.
Original post by mike23mike
you can have both! Exeter uni has a combined honours programme where you can study Drama AND Maths.

A joint honours drama degree isn’t comparable to drama school where you’re studying practical acting for 25+ contact hours a week.
An acdemic degree in Drama does not train you to be an actor.
If you want to be a performer - go to Drama School.

There are online Zoom presentations from Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in June for
both the Technical Theatre courses and their Acting courses - https://www.oldvic.ac.uk/opportunities-to-visit
If you’re undecided then it might be worth applying for a foundation year at a drama school to see if the environment works for you. The funding for drama school is pretty weird but a foundation year wouldn’t eat into your degree funding.
Original post by annierainbow
I currently do drama, English literature, physics and maths A-level and predicted As and A*s. I would adore to be an actress and feel I would like to go to drama school. However, I wonder about 'wasting my potential' ie if I go to drama school (or don't even get in) and am unsuccessful in building a career I both enjoy and is financially sustainable, I could've made my life better if I studied something else I love like physics. Ultimately, I know it comes down to having faith in myself or taking a leap yada yada- does anyone have any proper advice to cope with this feeling? Or any input as to what I should do? I generally enjoy everything I do, and would say I have an average amount of experience when it comes to acting. I would consider doing an English Literature degree and then going to drama school but 1) money and 2)I fear an English lit degree is pointless. please give me some input?

You need to look into whether you can afford drama school. I know a girl locally years ago went to RADA and couldnt get funded. Luckily her parents were able to afford it.

My sister is an actress who just appeared in one of the dramas of the year. She had no drama training and trained as a nurse. Also be aware that huge amounts of actors are out of work.

My personal feeling is you would be better off getting a Physics degree and joining a local amateur dramatics group.
Original post by PQ
If you’re undecided then it might be worth applying for a foundation year at a drama school

They dont do Foundation years at Drama Schools.
Original post by McGinger
They dont do Foundation years at Drama Schools.

Yes they do. Just not at all drama schools (and they’re expensive if you can’t get a scholarship)

https://www.lamda.ac.uk/all-courses/acting-directing-courses/lamda-foundation-diploma

https://www.rada.ac.uk/courses/foundation-course-acting/

https://gsauk.org/courses/foundation-acting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending