The Student Room Group

Ecology and Conservation - which Unis ?

One of my daughters is looking at doing Biology, Geography, History with AS Photography - which is taking her towards Uni in the area of Ecology / Conservation space rather than Biosciences. Her passion is animal biology / behaviour and ecology / conservation way more "pure" biology / biosciences etc

Its a bit of a niche area, but there seem to be a fair few Unis in the this space. It also strikes me one of the important bits is around employability, eg who the Uni can introduce you to

Anyone point me towards the better Unis in Ecology and Conservation?

Anyone already gone down this route (or similar) and got some wisdom to share?
Original post by LittleSkink
One of my daughters is looking at doing Biology, Geography, History with AS Photography - which is taking her towards Uni in the area of Ecology / Conservation space rather than Biosciences. Her passion is animal biology / behaviour and ecology / conservation way more "pure" biology / biosciences etc

Its a bit of a niche area, but there seem to be a fair few Unis in the this space. It also strikes me one of the important bits is around employability, eg who the Uni can introduce you to

Anyone point me towards the better Unis in Ecology and Conservation?

Anyone already gone down this route (or similar) and got some wisdom to share?

Hi @LittleSkink,

It's great to hear that your daughter is interested in these topics! I am just finishing my BSc Zoology degree at the University of Southampton and I think it's a suitable course for anyone interested in animal biology, behaviour and ecology and conservation 😊

If you would like to take a look at the course structure and topics that it covers, I encourage you to visit the BSc Zoology or BSc Biology website.

Speaking about employability, our university offers many internships and often passes information about course-specific external opportunities to students. We also have Career Centre which helps with CVs, cover letters, mock interviews etc. Additionally, students from the School of Biological Sciences can often search for some research or shadowing experience, either at the university itself or in other institutions/companies. It is just important to remember that, e.g. some conservation-related summer opportunities for undergraduates may be treated as “volunteering” and won’t be paid.

It is also worth mentioning that some universities require A-level Mathematics or Chemistry for courses like Zoology, Ecology or Wildlife conservation as fundamental knowledge of these subjects is often necessary and greatly helps to understand the content of some lectures.

Best wishes,
Agnes Student Ambassador
bump . . . anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending