The Student Room Group

Idk what degree to choose out of the three...

Hi there, I’m at the end of my AS level and at some point this year, I would like to apply for an undergraduate course for 2023 entry. I do Geography, Maths and Physics A levels and I am stuck deciding between ‘BSc/BA Economics and Management’, ‘BSc Economics and Maths’ and ‘BSc Economics and Finance’. I would like to have a career in finance, not ‘investment banking’ specifically. Basically I want to do a degree that has more graduate prospects in the finance field, a well rounded degree at a well recognised university. I am aware that I don’t have Further Maths A level but if I do some independent study and do well at maths admissions tests like STEP, TMUA, I would assume I have a chance at two or three well recognised universities for my 5 options. So what degree would be more suitable for me to pursue? I was thinking about ‘BSc Economics’ only but I like the idea of doing a joint honours degree. Also if you say one degree, could you give a reason why not pursue either of the other two? If anyone does one of the three degrees mentioned above, could you tell me your experience in that degree? Would like to hear from you!
Thanks for reading : )
Which universities are you looking into?
Any of these options will get you where you want to go.
Original post by Noob Master
Hi there, I’m at the end of my AS level and at some point this year, I would like to apply for an undergraduate course for 2023 entry. I do Geography, Maths and Physics A levels and I am stuck deciding between ‘BSc/BA Economics and Management’, ‘BSc Economics and Maths’ and ‘BSc Economics and Finance’. I would like to have a career in finance, not ‘investment banking’ specifically. Basically I want to do a degree that has more graduate prospects in the finance field, a well rounded degree at a well recognised university. I am aware that I don’t have Further Maths A level but if I do some independent study and do well at maths admissions tests like STEP, TMUA, I would assume I have a chance at two or three well recognised universities for my 5 options. So what degree would be more suitable for me to pursue? I was thinking about ‘BSc Economics’ only but I like the idea of doing a joint honours degree. Also if you say one degree, could you give a reason why not pursue either of the other two? If anyone does one of the three degrees mentioned above, could you tell me your experience in that degree? Would like to hear from you!
Thanks for reading : )

Hi there!

So I'm a graduate from the University of Chichester, but since November I've been working on an internship with their Outreach and Admissions teams, meaning I've had experience of talking with Students who are in the same situation as yourself; who are a bit unsure on what degree to go for.

My best advice is to look at the particular course content of the degrees you're interested in, if you've narrowed it down to courses at specific Universities then that will be even better! This is because even courses that have a fair amount of overlap like the 3 Economics courses you have your eyes on - there will be certain modules and other differences in course content, specific to those degrees, and even degrees with the same name but at different Uni's! So it's important to get a better understand of the differences between them, which means you'll get a better idea of which course you'd be most likely to enjoy.

Having your career prospects at the front of your mind with this decision is understandable, but it's also important to remember that with degrees you'll be studying them for at least 3 years, so choosing a course you will genuinely enjoy must be an important factor. To put it another way: every degree has it's challenging and difficult times, in terms of modules you're not so keen on and when the assessments start coming fast. I absolutely love all things Media and therefore loved my Media degree here at Chichester, but there were times I did modules I didn't like, and certainly times my assessments made feel like I was losing my mind! I can't imagine how that would feel in a situation where the degree overall wasn't about something I didn't enjoy.

I hope this is helpful for you, if you have any other questions or you'd like more advice then please feel free to ask away :smile:

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni.
Original post by asianism
Which universities are you looking into?

I'm looking at any universities that are well reputed, well recognised globally, also targeted unis by employers..so unis like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Manchester, Warwick, KCL, UCL, Bristol, Birmingham and more.
I don't mind the location or cost of living as have financial support from my parents.
Original post by mike23mike
Any of these options will get you where you want to go.

I see, but I'm struggling to select which course I would like to go for out of the three...I might as well choose between 'Econ & Management' or 'Econ & Finance' since its more easier than going for 'Econ & Maths' since I don't have Further Maths A level. Thanks!
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hi there!

So I'm a graduate from the University of Chichester, but since November I've been working on an internship with their Outreach and Admissions teams, meaning I've had experience of talking with Students who are in the same situation as yourself; who are a bit unsure on what degree to go for.

My best advice is to look at the particular course content of the degrees you're interested in, if you've narrowed it down to courses at specific Universities then that will be even better! This is because even courses that have a fair amount of overlap like the 3 Economics courses you have your eyes on - there will be certain modules and other differences in course content, specific to those degrees, and even degrees with the same name but at different Uni's! So it's important to get a better understand of the differences between them, which means you'll get a better idea of which course you'd be most likely to enjoy.

Having your career prospects at the front of your mind with this decision is understandable, but it's also important to remember that with degrees you'll be studying them for at least 3 years, so choosing a course you will genuinely enjoy must be an important factor. To put it another way: every degree has it's challenging and difficult times, in terms of modules you're not so keen on and when the assessments start coming fast. I absolutely love all things Media and therefore loved my Media degree here at Chichester, but there were times I did modules I didn't like, and certainly times my assessments made feel like I was losing my mind! I can't imagine how that would feel in a situation where the degree overall wasn't about something I didn't enjoy.

I hope this is helpful for you, if you have any other questions or you'd like more advice then please feel free to ask away :smile:

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni.

Thanks for the feedback, thats helpful. I began my interest in Economics when I did some online courses and I see myself doing a degree in Economics instead of engineering at uni.
I got some questions, I have read somewhere on other threads that if you choose a degree, such as 'Economics and Management', you can change the degree to something related like 'Economics and Finance' within the first year only..is this true that you can opt for a change?
2) Also, is it possible to do work shifts alongside your degree or should you only focus on your degree? Like doing some work shift in a cafe or something along side your degree...
3) At the end of the last year in a bachelor's degree, are there job fairs at the universities? or if not, how do you get a graduate job? Would it be worth doing a degree that has a 'placement year' in them? I don't mind the amount of years I would like to do....
Sorry for asking possibly unrelated question, I'm the first generation in my family to go to a university in UK, just trying to gain some insights off from the TSR website....Thanks again
Thanks for the feedback, thats helpful. I began my interest in Economics when I did some online courses and I see myself doing a degree in Economics instead of engineering at uni.
I got some questions, I have read somewhere on other threads that if you choose a degree, such as 'Economics and Management', you can change the degree to something related like 'Economics and Finance' within the first year only..is this true that you can opt for a change?
2) Also, is it possible to do work shifts alongside your degree or should you only focus on your degree? Like doing some work shift in a cafe or something along side your degree...
3) At the end of the last year in a bachelor's degree, are there job fairs at the universities? or if not, how do you get a graduate job? Would it be worth doing a degree that has a 'placement year' in them? I don't mind the amount of years I would like to do....
Sorry for asking possibly unrelated question, I'm the first generation in my family to go to a university in UK, just trying to gain some insights off from the TSR website....Thanks again

I have a few insights about this.

The thing about the change. I had a friend doing straight econ friend that was able to switch to maths and econ under very special circumstances by sitting a few tests for the maths prereqs at the uni. This was during the first term, first year. My guess is that even if they don't advertise the change you still have some leeway if you're good academically (my friend was getting 90% in the econ assignments and already caught up with the maths students) and persuasive.

Work shifts are definitely possible but just depends on smart you are. Also be careful of where you stay for accommodation as some places can party alot.

Job fairs maybe? My uni (Durham) certainly advertises jobs regularly to us. Graduate jobs really depend on what sector you want to go into. So for finance for example, most people take the route, 1st year spring week, 2nd year internship, 3rd year graduate job. Once you enter the university, it should be relatively easier if you get with the right groups of people, and network.
I see, but I'm struggling to select which course I would like to go for out of the three...I might as well choose between 'Econ & Management' or 'Econ & Finance' since its more easier than going for 'Econ & Maths' since I don't have Further Maths A level. Thanks!

As a maths student, I would recommend you looking into some probability, including central limit theorem, and statistics (frequentist and bayesian), two very useful modules for econ. If you want to consider maths, also look at Rudin's real analysis since that is basically first year undergrad maths
Original post by asianism
I have a few insights about this.

The thing about the change. I had a friend doing straight econ friend that was able to switch to maths and econ under very special circumstances by sitting a few tests for the maths prereqs at the uni. This was during the first term, first year. My guess is that even if they don't advertise the change you still have some leeway if you're good academically (my friend was getting 90% in the econ assignments and already caught up with the maths students) and persuasive.

Work shifts are definitely possible but just depends on smart you are. Also be careful of where you stay for accommodation as some places can party alot.

Job fairs maybe? My uni (Durham) certainly advertises jobs regularly to us. Graduate jobs really depend on what sector you want to go into. So for finance for example, most people take the route, 1st year spring week, 2nd year internship, 3rd year graduate job. Once you enter the university, it should be relatively easier if you get with the right groups of people, and network.

This is really helpful, thanks for giving me the insights of what life is like at uni generally, I thought you would have to find a job yourself somewhere but it looks like universities advertises and help students to prepare for such interviews, networking with professionals....And wow, Durham Uni! Thats nice to know, one of the leading universities and it has impressive academic backgrounds...might look more into this Uni
Thanks again for the replies to other 2 questions!

Hey! You’re welcome, I’m glad you found my advice helpful!

So as for your other questions, yes, changing your degree after you start is possible and is definitely more recommended during first year, particularly more advised during the first few weeks just so transitioning to the new degree means you’re not joining when they’ve already done the first set of modules.

As for placements and graduate jobs. Each university and each degree may vary, some degrees can have placements integrated into the course content. Others will have placement opportunities but optional, or run during the summer in between second and third year. Other degrees may not have placement opportunities in the course at all and will have to be sought out by the student with the careers team at the university. I’m sorry that may not be a particularly helpful answer but there’s so many different options, it’ll be best to put that question to the universities you’re applying to directly and keep looking on here as well!

There should be a careers team at each university who you can go to for advice about postgraduate job opportunities. They won’t be able to guarantee you things, but they’ll be able to hopefully give you lots of useful advice about what to do next.

And yes, lots of students do part time jobs alongside their studies. They can get jobs at cafes, shops, libraries, even at the university themselves, but it’s all down to personal preference: some enjoy balancing both, others want to focus entirely on their studies, so it’s about finding what’s best for you :smile:

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions then do keep them coming, I’ll be happy to help!

Tom,
University of Chichester student rep and alumni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending