The Student Room Group

Should trial shifts be illegal?

I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about about trial shifts. I believe trail shifts should only happen if you’re going to get hired since it’s unfair for people (mainly students) to have to be used for free labour whilst they are sincerely searching for jobs. But at the same time, the only reason why trial shifts has such a bad reputation is because employers take advantage of these things.

What are your opinions?
Yeah. I had a trial shift for Asda last year and they never got back to me after that. Not only have they used me for free labour, but they have also not been considerate enough to contact me and let me know about the outcome of the application. And yeah employers do take advantage of this, but I think it's okay if it's just for one hour. Anything more than 1 hour and it's not okay.
Never worked in retail/hospitality but the idea of having to work without pay for any amount of time under the promise of a job offer if you do well does not sit OK with me personally.
Reply 3
Original post by username5985464,
Yeah. I had a trial shift for Asda last year and they never got back to me after that. Not only have they used me for free labour, but they have also not been considerate enough to contact me and let me know about the outcome of the application. And yeah employers do take advantage of this, but I think it's okay if it's just for one hour. Anything more than 1 hour and it's not okay.

I also had a similar experience last year but it was with a restaurant. Honestly not a lot of companies email to say that they have moved on with their applications, they only email you if they have chosen you which I think is really unprofessional because the person who applied is stuck in this process of having to wait and never hearing from them.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
Never worked in retail/hospitality but the idea of having to work without pay for any amount of time under the promise of a job offer if you do well does not sit OK with me personally.

Yes I agree, which is why this debate has gone on for so long. I believe everyone should have a chance because they can always train the staff.
Ive no problem with a probation shift, but you should be paid for it.
No.
I don't think that unpaid trial shifts should be illegal in the uk.

But there should be some safeguards in place to ensure that they are not frequently abused solely as a means to provide cover for staff absences at no financial cost to the business.
All uk citizen job applicants offered the option of doing a trial shift should have made the shortlist for the role advertised, had their referees contacted and be guaranteed expenses or a free meal immediately after successfully completing the trial shift.
In my view they should be paid as normal, as this would prevent companies from using people as cheap or free labour. Alternatively, safeguarding measures as londonmyst suggest should be added.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
Ive no problem with a probation shift, but you should be paid for it.

Thank you for answering.
Reply 9
Original post by londonmyst
No.
I don't think that unpaid trial shifts should be illegal in the uk.

But there should be some safeguards in place to ensure that they are not frequently abused solely as a means to provide cover for staff absences at no financial cost to the business.
All uk citizen job applicants offered the option of doing a trial shift should have made the shortlist for the role advertised, had their referees contacted and be guaranteed expenses or a free meal immediately after successfully completing the trial shift.

After all my trial shifts I’ve always had a free meal or a drink. I think this is because it’s cheaper than paying for a new worker but I’ve never been hired after a trial shift.
Original post by Doomotron
In my view they should be paid as normal, as this would prevent companies from using people as cheap or free labour. Alternatively, safeguarding measures as londonmyst suggest should be added.

Thank you for answering.
They should be legal if a framework exists to regulate them. Employers shouldn't be allowed to abuse the system, for example to cover holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest