The Student Room Group

requirements for univeristy

Hi , I want to apply for dentistry but I am really worried as I don't have the GCSEs requirements for most universitites , however if I had excellent grades in my UCAT and A-level exams like A* A A ,do you think I will still be able to be accepted without the GCSE grades?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by needhelp1010
Hi , I want to apply for dentistry but I am really worried as I don't have the GCSEs requirements for most universitites , however if I had excellent grades in my UCAT and A-level exams like A* A A ,do you think I will still be able to be accepted without the GCSE grades?

If you don't meet minimum requirements you will, unfortunately, be rejected automatically unless you have WP flags or extenuating circumstances possibly. Dentistry is competitive and many more applicants will meet these GCSE requirements than can be given offers, so universities will not consider you without adequate GCSE grades, regardless of your A levels or UCAT. You can just apply to unis that you do meet requirements for, or resit the GCSEs that don't meet requirements (but check resit policies carefully to check which unis accept GCSE resits). Best of luck with it all

The required GCSEs are not an optional extra.
As above, it'll be an immediate rejection.

BUT, you can retake the required GCSEs - presumably Maths and English - alongside your A levels, just ask your school.
Any offer would include these GCSEs as an extra condition and it wont harm your application.
Original post by McGinger
The required GCSEs are not an optional extra.
As above, it'll be an immediate rejection.

BUT, you can retake the required GCSEs - presumably Maths and English - alongside your A levels, just ask your school.
Any offer would include these GCSEs as an extra condition and it wont harm your application.

I have not failed any GCSEs but I only got 3 7s , and i only got a 5 in maths and biology , I don't even have time to redo them as my application is due in in October, what should I do?
I have not failed any GCSEs but I only got 3 7s , and i only got a 5 in maths and biology , I don't even have time to redo them as my application is due in in October, what should I do?

You can resit and apply with pending GCSE grades.
would I have to take a gap year for this?
Original post by bea_murray0
You can resit and apply with pending GCSE grades.
You just resit the exam next summer.
For the majority of people this is straightforward - you are using higher maths skills in A levels and some revision will just bring those skills up to speed.

How badly do you want to be a Dentist.
If you can't be bothered to do this, it suggest 'not very much'
would I have to take a gap year for this?

No, you could resit your GCSEs in the summer of year 13 and apply to ucas (in October of y13) with a pending/predicted grade. Your offers would be conditional on your GCSE grade(s) as well as A levels. Hope that makes sense, talk to your school about it to see if they can support you in it
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending