The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hildabeast
Maybe people dropped out or didn't meet the grades, but it's still very competitive and it's not fair to argue that it isn't.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

the whole point is that it IS competetive - they don't just accept the people who apply to hilda's because they think it's easier to get in (and i know a couple of people who applied this year along the easy-to-get-in-idea, and it didn't work by a veeeeeeery long shot...)
Tek
Is Theology and Philosophy at St. Hilda's any more competitive than, say, Law at Balliol?

law is a bad thing to compare against. about a million people apply for it every year. they are all mad.
Reply 182
well, i got in for history at trinity with 3A*s, 4A's and 3Cs
hk_ghetto
well, i got in for history at trinity with 3A*s, 4A's and 3Cs

Congratulations :smile:
xchloex
I find it pretty annoying that so many people are willing to dimiss others with less than 10A*s etc as thick. My little sister has probably every learning disbailty on the planet and wont be put in for GCSEs-however one wouldn't know this if you spoke to her, she is incredibly intelligent but just cant translate her thoughts onto paper. You need to look at the broader aspect of this-at many schools what proportion of people get grades which quantify them being "intelligent"? Very little. Many people with potential can't afford to go to private schools or don't have the support behind them to do well in their exams.

I was pretty pleased with my GCSE results, I got 3A*s and 7As and to be honest I'm not the cleverest person in the world but I don't consider myself thick. I'm going to have a go at applying for law at Oxford next year but if I don't get in then I'll move on.

People need to see that there is much more to life than a few sodding grades on a pice of paper.

Chloe xxx

I too have a problem putting what i say on paper...my english teacher, infact all my teachers, keep complaining about who its all 'up' there but just not on the paper for the exam...not really my fault!
Reply 185
xchloex
I find it pretty annoying that so many people are willing to dimiss others with less than 10A*s etc as thick. My little sister has probably every learning disbailty on the planet and wont be put in for GCSEs-however one wouldn't know this if you spoke to her, she is incredibly intelligent but just cant translate her thoughts onto paper. You need to look at the broader aspect of this-at many schools what proportion of people get grades which quantify them being "intelligent"? Very little. Many people with potential can't afford to go to private schools or don't have the support behind them to do well in their exams.

I was pretty pleased with my GCSE results, I got 3A*s and 7As and to be honest I'm not the cleverest person in the world but I don't consider myself thick. I'm going to have a go at applying for law at Oxford next year but if I don't get in then I'll move on.

People need to see that there is much more to life than a few sodding grades on a pice of paper.

Chloe xxx

Funny you say that, my little brother is in a similar predicament... in a failing school, and has reading and writting problems... yet he is also really intelligent to speak to and has spent all of his life covering up his problems, by copying from friends, etc (actually he can copy things down quicker than i can write them lol!)
and as for the grades thing! 3A*'s 7A's and a B at GCSE... i did those at an inner london comprehensive, and now am at a private school year13 and am shocked at the amount of extra help and resources that students get!
I applied for Cambridge just to set my sights as high as possible, to test myself... and randomly got a place, i had gone into the interview "just for the experience" and wouldn't have been crushed if i didn't get in.! GOOD LUCK for Oxford!
Reply 186
tomek J.
I think you are absoloutely right. When you look at the people who are at Cambridge or Oxford right know, you will see most of them are down to earth and very friendly.

I'm soo glad you said this because reading all this self-centred stuff about people being soo great that the should have got in etc was becomming quite depressing and i was beginning to think that i had better decline my offer, due to social reasons...
Reply 187
To Stewie if he is still here (it is a ten page topic, can't be expected to read it all!) maybe your religious views contrasted with the tutors. Our Theology teacher has 6/7 "major" degrees from Oxford and is a fellow of All Souls and told us that interviews are highly subjective, more so in theology. He has rejected people that he feels he cannot get on with (personally and academically) many times even though their grades were good. So go to a different college that you have researched for a tutor that you feel you could get on with, and if you don't get in again, just go somewhere else. Going to Oxbridge isn't a prerogative for success in your life!

Latest

Trending

Trending