The Student Room Group

Ex-Muslim, now Atheist - ASK ME ANYTHING!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arrow900
Yes and atheism would also have a probability of 1/r which is the point I'm making.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it wouldn't
Yes and atheism would also have a probability of 1/r which is the point I'm making.

Posted from TSR Mobile

only if you picked randomly. Which, as said, nobody does.
Reply 302
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
but the afterlife is a fact. :colone:

But you have no evidence for that. Now if I did ask you to provide evidence you would probably just happily quote the Quran fully content with the justification you've provided. Sure you could claim that I have no proof after life doesn't exist, but the burden of proof wouldn't be on me as I'm not the one making an irrationa claim. If I said flying spaghetti monsters exist, sure you can't disprove that they don't but empirical evidence would suggest that they don't. The same principle applies here.
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
but the afterlife is a fact. :colone:

At most it's a hypothesis. But that's only relying on 'evidence' from religious texts.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
No it wouldn't

This is becoming a pattern. OK let's turn the tables. Why is it that Atheism is more likely to be true than Theism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is becoming a pattern. OK let's turn the tables. Why is it that Atheism is more likely to be true than Theism?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because there is no evidence any god exists
Reply 306
Original post by Bill_Gates
Well done you shall live a beautiful life with a free mind.

Says the one who said the genocide of muslims in Burma was a good thing :wink: amazing what a "free mind" does to you eh

sorry for bringing it up all the time but what you said that day was the worst post I've seen in my two years on here, whenever I see your name it reminds me of that awful day :frown:
Original post by Law-Hopeful
PRSOM :lol:

Some people...

And people say theists are illogical... :dry:
(edited 9 years ago)
Because there is no evidence any god exists

Oh come on I thought Atheists were meant to be the logical ones.

There is no evidence that God does not exist. So we are back to square one.

I can't help but feel that the only reason you atheists reject religion is because you simply want to disobey God. I mean what else am I supposed to think when you put forward such weak argument like the one I have quoted.
Oh come on I thought Atheists were meant to be the logical ones.

There is no evidence that God does not exist. So we are back to square one.

I can't help but feel that the only reason you atheists reject religion is because you simply want to disobey God. I mean what else am I supposed to think when you put forward such weak argument like the one I have quoted.

There is no evidence for the existence of God. Tell me, why do you disobey Zeus and Poseidon and Hades? When was the last time that you went to the temple to leave a basket of fish for the God of the Ocean?

As for square one. Yes we are at square one. You have yet to give a shred of evidence for the existence of any gods.

It is impossible to prove the non-existence of something that does not exist. There are an infinite (literally) number of things that don't exist.
(edited 9 years ago)
ur going hell lmaoo
Original post by abdulahi
ur going hell lmaoo

No, he is going to Hades.
There is no evidence for the existence of God. Tell me, why do you disobey Zeus and Poseidon and Hades? When was the last time that you went to the temple to leave a basket of fish for the God of the Ocean?

As for square one. Yes we are at square one. You have yet to give a shred of evidence for the existence of any gods.

It is impossible to prove the non-existence of something that does not exist. There are an infinite (literally) number of things that don't exist.

You are asking for the scientific proof of God.

As I have stated previously any scientific theory that can be proven scientifically must also be falsifiable. You have just stated that theory of God is not falsifiable and as a consequence cannot be proven scientifically.

Just face it. You can't disprove God just as I cannot prove that God exists. The only reason you choose to disbelieve in God is for personal reasons. Maybe you think you don't have enough time in your day to spend worshipping God, or maybe it is the lifestyle you choose to lead. In any case, you seem to be convincing yourself that logic is your explanation for the nonexistence of God, yet logic clearly does not lead to the conclusion that God does not exist. Perhaps God doesn't, I would quickly become an atheist if ever there were a convincing argument that is logically sound. But I have yet to come across one and I doubt I ever will.

Also your point about me choosing which God to believe in is made redundant in this debate as I am assuming the position of a theist rather than any specific religion and I was merely using Islam as an example.

Also your claim that it is "impossible to prove the non existence of something that does not exist" is entirely wrong.

We can quite easily prove that there exist no right angled triangles that do not satisfy Pythagoras' theorem.( supposing we are using the axioms of Euclid)
In this example , a right angled triangle not satisfying Pythagoras' theorem does not exist, yet we can prove its nonexistence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abdulahi
ur going hell lmaoo

I really hope your not a Muslim.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
I really hope your not a Muslim.

Well his name is Abdullahi (albeit spelt wrong) which literally means "servant of Allah".
So I think its safe to assume he is Muslim lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are asking for the scientific proof of God.

As I have stated previously any scientific theory that can be proven scientifically must also be falsifiable. You have just stated that theory of God is not falsifiable and as a consequence cannot be proven scientifically.

Just face it. You can't disprove God just as I cannot prove that God exists. The only reason you choose to disbelieve in God is for personal reasons. Maybe you think you don't have enough time in your day to spend worshipping God, or maybe it is the lifestyle you choose to lead. In any case, you seem to be convincing yourself that logic is your explanation for the nonexistence of God, yet logic clearly does not lead to the conclusion that God does not exist. Perhaps God doesn't, I would quickly become an atheist if ever there were a convincing argument that is logically sound. But I have yet to come across one and I doubt I ever will.

Also your point about me choosing which God to believe in is made redundant in this debate as I am assuming the position of a theist rather than any specific religion and I was merely using Islam as an example.

Also your claim that it is "impossible to prove the non existence of something that does not exist" is entirely wrong.

We can quite easily prove that there exist no right angled triangles that do not satisfy Pythagoras' theorem.( supposing we are using the axioms of Euclid)
In this example , a right angled triangle not satisfying Pythagoras' theorem does not exist, yet we can prove its nonexistence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me break this utter dross down:

You have just stated that theory of God is not falsifiable and as a consequence cannot be proven scientifically. - Yep. I don't think we'll ever see scientific proof of the existence of God(s).

Just face it. You can't disprove God just as I cannot prove that God exists. The only reason you choose to disbelieve in God is for personal reasons. Maybe you think you don't have enough time in your day to spend worshipping God, or maybe it is the lifestyle you choose to lead. In any case, you seem to be convincing yourself that logic is your explanation for the nonexistence of God, yet logic clearly does not lead to the conclusion that God does not exist. Perhaps God doesn't, I would quickly become an atheist if ever there were a convincing argument that is logically sound. But I have yet to come across one and I doubt I ever will. - I don't worship god or allah or muhammed or any of that for the same reasons you do not worship Zeus or Odin. Tell me why don't you worship any other deities? As Ricky Gervais said, a Muslim/Christian is sceptical of 7999 gods, an atheist 8000.

So do you automatically believe in everything until it is disproven?

Also your point about me choosing which God to believe in is made redundant in this debate as I am assuming the position of a theist rather than any specific religion and I was merely using Islam as an example. No, you are a Muslim. You believe in one particular god who has his own 7th century political views. If you were simply a theist, this debate would be rather different but you aren't. You are a Muslim, your attempt to sidestep a major criticism of your position by pretending to hold different beliefs is laughable

Also your claim that it is "impossible to prove the non existence of something that does not exist" is entirely wrong. Actually, no. It's entirely correct.

Ah the classic attempt to sound scientifically literate. And that is because that is a theoretical equation, and not comparable to the existence of an object/being in the real world. I don't think critical thinking is your strong point. Can you give me an equation that proves the country of France must exist?
Let me break this utter dross down:

You have just stated that theory of God is not falsifiable and as a consequence cannot be proven scientifically. - Yep. I don't think we'll ever see scientific proof of the existence of God(s).

Just face it. You can't disprove God just as I cannot prove that God exists. The only reason you choose to disbelieve in God is for personal reasons. Maybe you think you don't have enough time in your day to spend worshipping God, or maybe it is the lifestyle you choose to lead. In any case, you seem to be convincing yourself that logic is your explanation for the nonexistence of God, yet logic clearly does not lead to the conclusion that God does not exist. Perhaps God doesn't, I would quickly become an atheist if ever there were a convincing argument that is logically sound. But I have yet to come across one and I doubt I ever will. - I don't worship god or allah or muhammed or any of that for the same reasons you do not worship Zeus or Odin. Tell me why don't you worship any other deities? As Ricky Gervais said, a Muslim/Christian is sceptical of 7999 gods, an atheist 8000.

So do you automatically believe in everything until it is disproven?

Also your point about me choosing which God to believe in is made redundant in this debate as I am assuming the position of a theist rather than any specific religion and I was merely using Islam as an example. No, you are a Muslim. You believe in one particular god who has his own 7th century political views. If you were simply a theist, this debate would be rather different but you aren't. You are a Muslim, your attempt to sidestep a major criticism of your position by pretending to hold different beliefs is laughable

Also your claim that it is "impossible to prove the non existence of something that does not exist" is entirely wrong. Actually, no. It's entirely correct.

Ah the classic attempt to sound scientifically literate. And that is because that is a theoretical equation, and not comparable to the existence of an object/being in the real world. I don't think critical thinking is your strong point. Can you give me an equation that proves the country of France must exist?

I'm not really going to bother with any of what you said up until the last paragraph as you have rejected most of my arguments on the basis of my specific religion as a Muslim when I have already stated that my religion as a Muslim plays no part in my argument. Where have I quoted the Quran ?
Just use your imagination and consider my argument as if it is being presented by any theist. Or maybe you can assume that I am a theist who believes in all Gods simultaneously and is willing to undergo all punishments from all God's that ask for me to be a monotheist.

Well I used mathematics in my example as this is the purest form of logic and it seemed the most suitable to disprove your claim, but seeing as you believe that the purest form of logic is perhaps too pure for you, I will instead resort to the method of scientific proof which is comparatively weak.
Now France exists because all the scientific evidence suggests it does, and in Science when all the evidence suggest a conclusion, the evidence is considered to be proof.

Also what you have stated here "impossible to prove the non existence of something that does not exist" is in fact equivalent to saying that it is impossible to disprove something. Which I think both you and I know is not true.

Since the statement, "prove the non existence" is equivalent to "disprove the existence of", what you are essentially saying is equivalent to the statement " it is impossible to disprove the existence of something that does not exist"
And since it is also impossible to disprove the existence of something that does exist.
The only conclusion that follows from those two statements is that it is impossible to disprove something.
I'm not really going to bother with any of what you said up until the last paragraph

Wonder why. Ok I have three questions

1) Why do you not worship the Greek gods. Do you disbelieve or can you simply not be bothered?

2) Can you disprove the existence of a giant invisible dragon that lives on the dark side of the moon?

3) If you believe so strongly in theism, why do you follow Islam specifically?

these are very simple questions. Please answer each individually and one at a time to keep the discussion organised
Well his name is Abdullahi (albeit spelt wrong) which literally means "servant of Allah".
So I think its safe to assume he is Muslim lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get a lot of Christians with that name , and Abdul-esque names are just common across the world, even amongst non-muslims.

I'm Daniel for example..but I am not a Jew, nor am I a Lion of God.

I agree though he probably is.
Wonder why. Ok I have three questions

1) Why do you not worship the Greek gods. Do you disbelieve or can you simply not be bothered?

2) Can you disprove the existence of a giant invisible dragon that lives on the dark side of the moon?

3) If you believe so strongly in theism, why do you follow Islam specifically?

these are very simple questions. Please answer each individually and one at a time to keep the discussion organised

1) I am an agnostic theist. I believe in some higher entity commonly known as God but I choose how I live my life. I believe because it is a 50/50 toss up between Atheism and Theism, and my life experiences suggest to me that a God exists.

2) No you cannot prove nor disprove its existence if we are assuming that this Dragon leaves no trace whatsoever on the moon. If it leaves a trace than a scientific experiment can be designed to test its existence.
If you had given a human being rather than an invisible dragon as the example then yes, it is entirely possible.

3) Once again I am an agnostic theist who does not follow any specific religion.

Are you convinced now that if it is possible to prove that God exists it must also be possible to disprove that God exists?
As no proof has been provided in either cases it is a 50/50 guess as to which you choose to believe in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest