Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblyraindrop)
    I'm starting on monday and getting so nervous! Can somebody tell me what the subject audits are like? (Primary Early years) Will they be tests that we have to pass like how the skills tests were?
    No idea. I would have thought they did the audit prior from being accepted for the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Filledusoleil)
    No idea. I would have thought they did the audit prior from being accepted for the course.
    Some universities do prior to being accepted and also before you start the course like mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, wow! Hope they don't do that to us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    If I need to I'll definitely be looking into it. My wife and puppy are going to be stuck in my hometown because she works at our local uni so we're a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hoping I can put up with the travel for now but if I need to I'll investigate renting a room for my placement weeks. I'm lucky that I've got a timetable so already know all of my placement days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You may get lucky and be placed nearish where you live. Unis often have placements like an hour/hour and a half away from the uni that no one wants to be placed in due to the distance but one of these might be near you and be quite convenient.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone how the placement system works, like how many weeks do you spend in each school and stuff?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown shuga)
    Does anyone how the placement system works, like how many weeks do you spend in each school and stuff?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Totally depends which course you are doing, and with which uni.

I did Secondary History at MMU and mine was structured like this: 2 weeks in uni in September, an induction week at placement school and then an alternative placement for 3 days. Back to first placement school from end of Sept to end of December term.

In January, we had 2 weeks at uni again and then stayed at our second placement from end of Jan-May. Then we had a week to write our last essay, and 3 weeks enrichment.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    You may get lucky and be placed nearish where you live. Unis often have placements like an hour/hour and a half away from the uni that no one wants to be placed in due to the distance but one of these might be near you and be quite convenient.
    They've told me they have placements available in the county between where I live and where my uni is. That's be ideal for one of them.

(Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    When you are on placement 4-5 days a week for 6 months in the second term, this might become a problem..... plus the added costs of eating out vs cooking for yourself!
    I have friends that can feed me/house me occasionally so it'd be occasionally hoteling (and I'll have the £20k bursary so don't really mind about expense if it saves me sanity). I've seen my placement timetable and it isn't too frequent. If the placement is too awkward I'll investigate getting a room near my placement and just coming home at the weekend. Not knowing is the bit that's killing me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I've seen my placement timetable and it isn't too frequent.
    I find that surprising, I've spent the last 2 years being a school mentor for PGCE Secondary trainees and they spend the majority of their time in school on placement. For good reason, as the vast majority of the QTS criteria can only be met by evidence provided through school based activities, the main part of which being teaching lessons.

Another option is to talk to your school when you find out what it is, you may find that some older teachers have a spare room left by kids that have left home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Totally depends which course you are doing, and with which uni.

I did Secondary History at MMU and mine was structured like this: 2 weeks in uni in September, an induction week at placement school and then an alternative placement for 3 days. Back to first placement school from end of Sept to end of December term.

In January, we had 2 weeks at uni again and then stayed at our second placement from end of Jan-May. Then we had a week to write our last essay, and 3 weeks enrichment.
    Thank you at the interview, my Uni told us we had two placement, but they have not told us anything else yet.

Can I ask, when did you start teaching in your placements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting on monday and getting so nervous! Can somebody tell me what the subject audits are like? (Primary Early years) Will they be tests that we have to pass like how the skills tests were?
    An audit isn't so much a test. It is simply so they (and you) know where you excel and where you lack in knowledge so appropriate training and advice can be given.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    An audit isn't so much a test. It is simply so they (and you) know where you excel and where you lack in knowledge so appropriate training and advice can be given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh that makes them seem less daunting and more to help, thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you at the interview, my Uni told us we had two placement, but they have not told us anything else yet.

Can I ask, when did you start teaching in your placements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh it'll probably be a similar set up, and you'll spend most of your time on placement.

On my first placement I did mainly observation and a few starter activities in the first 3 weeks or so, then progressed onto proper lessons in about the 4th week.

On my second placement, I decided not to do any starter activities and just went straight into full lessons after about a week and a half of observations (I preferred it this way - you take more ownership of the class rather than doing a few starters and gradually developing to full lessons)

ReputationRep:
    Do most courses cost £9,000?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Do most courses cost £9,000?
    Yes, I think that's standard. What varies is the bursary you get to cover that cost (varies between subjects I mean, not between universities).

ReputationRep:
    It'll be fine, don't worry . Good luck with the test, I have 3 audits for the core subjects and I'm really worried about it.
    Yeah like Jeffercake said they're about assessing rather than judging...

I had a maths self audit to bring on the first day which was literally to help them target their sessions and let you figure out what to practise yourself.

Then I had maths English and science subject knowledge audits in the first term. Science was a multiple choice test, maths a sort sats style paper and eggnog was a bit different... We had to research and complete a series of tasks to develop our subject knowledge.

All three were carried out with a very supportive attitude, lots of guidance, and if you didn't pass first time you just got another chance as the aim was developing- as long as you demonstrated the knowledge out didn't matter. Atty my uni no-one has ever taken more than 2 goes to pass!

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    I find that surprising, I've spent the last 2 years being a school mentor for PGCE Secondary trainees and they spend the majority of their time in school on placement. For good reason, as the vast majority of the QTS criteria can only be met by evidence provided through school based activities, the main part of which being teaching lessons.

Another option is to talk to your school when you find out what it is, you may find that some older teachers have a spare room left by kids that have left home.
    I keep wording things wrong - I meant in my first placement. My second placement is almost full time but by then I hope to have moved closer or to be staying at my friends' house.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squoosh25)
    Yes, I think that's standard. What varies is the bursary you get to cover that cost (varies between subjects I mean, not between universities).
    So it's possible to survive financially?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, usually. Depends on various factors though. As someone doing an English PGCE who got a 1st in their undergrad, I get a 9k bursary (effectively covering the entire course cost). But if you do a short-supply subject like MFL or maths, you can get twice that amount in the bursary, so you have some extra spending money.

Of course, there's still living costs and rent, but fortunately - unlike other masters courses - you can apply for student finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squoosh25)
    Yeah, usually. Depends on various factors though. As someone doing an English PGCE who got a 1st in their undergrad, I get a 9k bursary (effectively covering the entire course cost). But if you do a short-supply subject like MFL or maths, you can get twice that amount in the bursary, so you have some extra spending money.

Of course, there's still living costs and rent, but fortunately - unlike other masters courses - you can apply for student finance.
    Thanks. I'd be doing MFL. I have a few worries though. How do you know if you have a real passion for teaching before you commit to the course and before you are in the classroom environment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because it's tax free, and over 9 months rather than 12, it works out fairly well. In fact, students with 1st class/Masters/PhDs in shortage subjects can actually be on more whilst training than most experienced teachers earn! £20k over 9 months is £2222 per month, which is more than I make after tax, NI, pension etc as an M6 teacher.

And if you in in a shortage subject, get one of the scholarships AND work at a school with >35% Free School Meals, you can earn over 30k (25k scholarship + 25% premium) tax free. Around 2x what I take home per month.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.