The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle Law Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Offer for the LLB Programme. Sent my email off to confirm my acceptance to attend the open day on the 2nd of February.

Hopefully it won't snow around that time, it was rather an inconvenience when travelling from London...
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by zainmahmood
Offer for the LLB Programme. Sent my email off to confirm my acceptance to attend the open day on the 2nd of February.

Hopefully it won't snow around that time, it was rather an inconvenience when travelling from London...

Congrats :smile: I hope you like it as much as we do!
What draws you to Newcastle? What subjects do you do/predicted grades?
Original post by rachlala14
Congrats :smile: I hope you like it as much as we do!
What draws you to Newcastle? What subjects do you do/predicted grades?

Hey there. Yep, I loved Newcastle :biggrin: It's definitely a new breath of air for me, i've never been up North before and it's nice :wink:

I think the overall atmosphere of the University and the balance of modern and traditional elements is what draws me to Newcastle, and not to mention the Law School as a whole, it's a rather rewarding place to study :biggrin:

I do a BTEC in Social Studies. Its a very academic course and within it, i'm more or less studying A2 subjects like Law, Sociology and Psychology. In terms of predicted grades, i've got three Distinctions which are equivalent to three A's at A Level :smile:

Wbu? What attracts you to Newcastle/Law School?
i have an offer for llb law and will be firming it once i have visited the uni (:
on a gap year, got AABB last year and am resitting the BB so my offer is AA.
Hey, I have been offered a place for the LLB at Newcastle. Heading up there on the 2nd Feb. Hope to get a good look round the faculty, especially since on the general open day in July the faculty was closed!!
Reply 25
I live in Newcastle, I'd definitely recommend going there!
Original post by StrawberryFields18
Hey, I have been offered a place for the LLB at Newcastle. Heading up there on the 2nd Feb. Hope to get a good look round the faculty, especially since on the general open day in July the faculty was closed!!

I'll be going on the 2nd too, hopefully the weather should be ok, it was snowing so badly last time I went :P
Original post by zainmahmood
I'll be going on the 2nd too, hopefully the weather should be ok, it was snowing so badly last time I went :P

I hope so too! What persuaded you to choose Newcastle?
I hope so too! What persuaded you to choose Newcastle?

Hey. Well it's a new place for me to discover, I just need to get out of London, it does become tedious after a very long time lol. Plus, it's a Law School within the top ten, so either way, it's a very rewarding place to read Law and with lots of career prospects to offer. The Law School is really nice and so is the uni. Wbu?
Reply 29
Original post by bringmesunshine
i have an offer for llb law and will be firming it once i have visited the uni (:
on a gap year, got AABB last year and am resitting the BB so my offer is AA.

Thats awesome :smile: I'll hopefully be seeing you there then! My offer is AAA :frown: I have so much work to do before May, its ridiculous!!
Reply 30

Do you think it will be your firm choice? What subjects are you doing for A level and your predicted grades?
I know, I went to an Open Day in October and the Law faculty was closed so I had to go back in December - while I was there it was still under going major renovation and is only to be finished in time for Sept 2011 so be prepared for lots of building site noises/rooms being unavailable!
Saying that, the main lecture theatre was completed and it was pretty good, and the law school is completely self contained meaning you dont have to hop from one place to another to read your law journals etc :smile: The lecturers were amazing too!
Do you think it will be your firm choice? What subjects are you doing for A level and your predicted grades?
I know, I went to an Open Day in October and the Law faculty was closed so I had to go back in December - while I was there it was still under going major renovation and is only to be finished in time for Sept 2011 so be prepared for lots of building site noises/rooms being unavailable!
Saying that, the main lecture theatre was completed and it was pretty good, and the law school is completely self contained meaning you dont have to hop from one place to another to read your law journals etc :smile: The lecturers were amazing too!

Hey, At the minute its my only offer! I really want to go to Bristol, but Newcastle is a lot cheaper and closer to where I live. What about you? I'm doing French,History and English Lit & Lang with AAA as predicted but both my english and history teachers reckon I could get A*s- but its hard work!! What about you, I'm guessing triple A student? Argh nightmare! Had you come a long way? It's nice to know that we'd be getting new facilities though! Thanks for the heads up, I have a few tips from friends there about where to go- apparently the halls near the law school are quite nice? Good Luck, might see you up there come September!:smile:
Reply 32
Hey, At the minute its my only offer! I really want to go to Bristol, but Newcastle is a lot cheaper and closer to where I live. What about you? I'm doing French,History and English Lit & Lang with AAA as predicted but both my english and history teachers reckon I could get A*s- but its hard work!! What about you, I'm guessing triple A student? Argh nightmare! Had you come a long way? It's nice to know that we'd be getting new facilities though! Thanks for the heads up, I have a few tips from friends there about where to go- apparently the halls near the law school are quite nice? Good Luck, might see you up there come September!:smile:

I haven't seen inside the halls near the Law School but it is literally like across the road! Although apparently they have no en-suite rooms there, so I would totally be willing to walk further if it meant having my own shower/toilet facilities! :biggrin:
I come from Northern Ireland and the airport is about an hour and a half's drive from my house, then an hours flight! It's not so bad, I could be further away! Newcastle was ranked really highly in the Times Good University Guide 2011 for Law, 3rd after Cambridge and Oxford, and the city & people are amazing!!
I do English Literature, History, Geography & Religion and I'm predicted A*A*AA, but I'd be happy with AAAA, as long as I get into uni I'll be ecstatic! :rolleyes:
I spent so long revising today :/ ughhh four subjects is the worst! What texts are you doing for your EngLit/Lang course??
I haven't seen inside the halls near the Law School but it is literally like across the road! Although apparently they have no en-suite rooms there, so I would totally be willing to walk further if it meant having my own shower/toilet facilities! :biggrin:
I come from Northern Ireland and the airport is about an hour and a half's drive from my house, then an hours flight! It's not so bad, I could be further away! Newcastle was ranked really highly in the Times Good University Guide 2011 for Law, 3rd after Cambridge and Oxford, and the city & people are amazing!!
I do English Literature, History, Geography & Religion and I'm predicted A*A*AA, but I'd be happy with AAAA, as long as I get into uni I'll be ecstatic! :rolleyes:
I spent so long revising today :/ ughhh four subjects is the worst! What texts are you doing for your EngLit/Lang course??

Yeah, I'm a bit on edge about not having my own toilet/sink but I'm easy going and I'm sure what they have will be good.
That is quite a distance, I come from just east of York. It's only about 70 miles from Newcastle, but it's my closest chosen Uni. I think you should follow your heart even if it may lead you miles away from home :smile:
They're some impressive stats! I read in the same guide that Newcastle law school was highest in the country for Student Satisfactory too, an added bonus! Where else have you applied? I'm sure you will get in with grades like that, I'd be writing letters and making calls if you didn't!
Do you have January modulars? I have just got coursework, but right now I'd happily swap. We're doing Cupcakes and Kalashnikovs and my coursework is on self-chosen poems by Duffy and Heaney. What about you?
Reply 34
Yeah, I'm a bit on edge about not having my own toilet/sink but I'm easy going and I'm sure what they have will be good.
That is quite a distance, I come from just east of York. It's only about 70 miles from Newcastle, but it's my closest chosen Uni. I think you should follow your heart even if it may lead you miles away from home :smile:
They're some impressive stats! I read in the same guide that Newcastle law school was highest in the country for Student Satisfactory too, an added bonus! Where else have you applied? I'm sure you will get in with grades like that, I'd be writing letters and making calls if you didn't!
Do you have January modulars? I have just got coursework, but right now I'd happily swap. We're doing Cupcakes and Kalashnikovs and my coursework is on self-chosen poems by Duffy and Heaney. What about you?

Ahh good old Carol Ann and Seamus :L I studied Heaney and Montague last year - if you haven't already, read any of John Montague's poetry (it's rare to come across on the net but try searching 'The Locket'..in my opinion its a lot more heartfelt than Heaney, but they're both prolific Irish poets from my wee country so I shall not complain :biggrin: Heaney's 'The Skunk' is just a little ridiculous..my favourite was always 'The Barn' or 'The Settle Bed' :cool::rolleyes:
Thank god I have no january modulars, because I would so totally be failing them! I have no coursework :frown: it was such an added bonus for AS but none of my subjects have coursework for A2 which sucks!
I've applied to four unis - Newcastle, Northumbria, Queens Uni Belfast and University of Ulster :smile: I guess I could probably have applied to somewhere asking for an A* but tbh I'm not a real nerd and I would hate to apply to somewhere really REALLY academically motivated - I'd rather have good craic with like minded people alongside the academia :ahee:
For my Eng Lit course I'm studying Catcher in the Rye by Salinger, The Outsider by Camus, The Butcher Boy by McCabe, The School for Scandal by Sheridan and Volpone by Jonson, plus 12 poems by John Donne :s-smilie: I have a LOT of reading to do before May. And they're all closed book. Kill me now :mad:
Open to Q's if any of you so wish :wink:
Reply 36
Original post by JonathanHanratty
Open to Q's if any of you so wish :wink:

Thanks :smile: looking at your A level spoiler, were your entrance requirements AAB or did they accept you with a high B grade? The 2011 entrance requirements are AAA so just wondering... :confused:
Do you enjoy Law at NCL? Are there any pros/cons of studying Law at Newcastle or any tips you could give us before we start our Law Degree?
And are the lecturers as good as they seem? :tongue:
Thanks :smile: looking at your A level spoiler, were your entrance requirements AAB or did they accept you with a high B grade? The 2011 entrance requirements are AAA so just wondering... :confused:
Do you enjoy Law at NCL? Are there any pros/cons of studying Law at Newcastle or any tips you could give us before we start our Law Degree?
And are the lecturers as good as they seem? :tongue:

The entrance requirements and my offer were AAA but evidently I still got in lol, my B wasn't extremely high either so it must have been my personal statement or something. I enjoy it yeah, first years not particularly riveting because they do the more 'boring' subjects in first year such as Land whereas other uni's do them in second because its quite hard.
The pro's are that it's close to home :biggrin: and it's hard to describe but the atmosphere around the place is great, also the year groups smaller than alot of places so it doesn't seem like you're just another number. The only con is that occasionally you sometimes come accross a geordie :wink:
My number 1 tip would be, if you don't already do law, to learn how to read law references ie when seeing: 'Stevenson, Jaques & Co. v McLean (1880) 5 QBD 346' I'd know to look for Queens Bench etc. It would save you an hour or two when faced with the library for the first time!
And SOME lectures are good, but i suppose its the subject matter what you find most interesting you enjoy and who's lecturing with the most enthusiasm lol.
I hope this helps!
Reply 38
Original post by JonathanHanratty
The entrance requirements and my offer were AAA but evidently I still got in lol, my B wasn't extremely high either so it must have been my personal statement or something. I enjoy it yeah, first years not particularly riveting because they do the more 'boring' subjects in first year such as Land whereas other uni's do them in second because its quite hard.
The pro's are that it's close to home :biggrin: and it's hard to describe but the atmosphere around the place is great, also the year groups smaller than alot of places so it doesn't seem like you're just another number. The only con is that occasionally you sometimes come accross a geordie :wink:
My number 1 tip would be, if you don't already do law, to learn how to read law references ie when seeing: 'Stevenson, Jaques & Co. v McLean (1880) 5 QBD 346' I'd know to look for Queens Bench etc. It would save you an hour or two when faced with the library for the first time!
And SOME lectures are good, but i suppose its the subject matter what you find most interesting you enjoy and who's lecturing with the most enthusiasm lol.
I hope this helps!

Just one more question! :smile: how long do you typically spend studying per week? Do you have less of a social life than other courses? And how many lectures/seminars do you have in an average week?
Just one more question! :smile: how long do you typically spend studying per week? Do you have less of a social life than other courses? And how many lectures/seminars do you have in an average week?

Haha it's fine I don't mind :smile: well, a typical week for me (me being more lazy than average by my own admissions!) I'm in 9-5 monday and tuesday, half day on wednesday and friday, off on a thursday (providing ive not got a seminar). I have 4 seminars per semester in each subject so thats 16 to spread over the semester so it's not that hectic.
As for the time spent studying it varies. I'll sometimes do an hour a day reading up on things but thats about all I can be bothered to do. Also there's usually work set to do before a seminar so if I've got a seminar I'll spend about an hour or two if it's a lengthy task preparing for that the day before. If there's an essay due in for a subject (1 per subject per semester on average) i'll do that the day before aswel :wink: I'm hardly the model student i know!

If there's anything you've forgot don't hesitate! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending