The Student Room Group

Buying a MacBook for University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sir Fox
No offense intended but I can't really believe that. There are two types of discounts: the normal student discount (what you mentioned) and the 'Apple on campus' discount. You only get the 15% if you qualify for the 'AoC' discount (the normal student discount is slightly less) and the 'AoC' is only available if you purchase from the Apple online store via the university network.

You can't just walk into an Apple store and get the 15% (even if you university qualifies), you have to purchase it online. What you got has most likely been the normal student account + the gift card and Apple care due to the Back to School program.

I walked into an Apple Store last week, showed them my student card and they said it'd be a 15% discount, though unlike the online 'on campus' store, the three year Applecare wouldn't be included for free, but would be discounted. (So I decided not to get it there.)
Reply 21
Original post by iMal2575
I walked into an Apple Store last week, showed them my student card and they said it'd be a 15% discount, though unlike the online 'on campus' store, the three year Applecare wouldn't be included for free, but would be discounted. (So I decided not to get it there.)

Okay, didn't know that. I'm even worse off, will study in Scotland which disqualifies me for any kind of discount in Germany (I'm German) and can't purchase in the UK either as they don't ship to other countries :mad:
Reply 22
Original post by Sir Fox
Yep, forgot to mention that. amii12 still stated that she went to an Apple store and bought it there which theoretically should not be possible.

My friend used his univerity student card in an Apple store and got the 15% discount. AppleCare is not free unless you order online though.
Reply 23
Original post by Mr Smurf
My friend used his univerity student card in an Apple store and got the 15% discount. AppleCare is not free unless you order online though.

That's what I meant, you can only get the free three years warranty if you purchase only. Apparently I've been misinformed about the discounts though, thought that the 15% thing also only applies to online purchases ...
Reply 24
Original post by Sir Fox
Okay, didn't know that. I'm even worse off, will study in Scotland which disqualifies me for any kind of discount in Germany (I'm German) and can't purchase in the UK either as they don't ship to other countries :mad:

Ouch. Are you just going to wait until you start then?
Reply 25
Original post by iMal2575
Ouch. Are you just going to wait until you start then?

Don't know - I'd prefer to set the MacBook up and get accustomed to it before moving to Scotland, I probably won't have time for all this stuff (including data transfer from my old computer) during the first weeks at uni.

I thought about asking a German friend to purchase it for me via the 'AoC' of her university but due to reasons I do not understand the German discount is only 12% and does not include the extended warranty :thumbsdown:

If I don't find a way to purchase it in the UK and have it miraculously shipped to Germany I will either have to wait or purchase it via a relative's company, this way I'd save 19% (German VAT) but don't get the extended warranty ...

This is just too compicated. Why can't a student of a participating institution just run into an Apple store, show his/her offer letter and get it all, the reduction as well as the extended warranty? Why only online? Apple is strange ...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
I ordered one online and got a free £70 card for use in the app store as well as three years free AppleCare (which confuses me because the bloke on the phone told me that I would have to pay for that...weird!)
Don't be stupid, Don't spend your entire overdraft on a Mac which you will probably not even use to half of its capacity.
Reply 28
You make students look dumb, only thinking about the short term and not the long term. Trust me, it will come bite you back when you really are in a pinch and that grand could make the difference between going cold or warm.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
As a student you are technically poor,so try spend less on exotic stuff and learn to appreciate what you've got.
Reply 30
Original post by Cravez
Don't be stupid, Don't spend your entire overdraft on a Mac which you will probably not even use to half of its capacity.

Original post by onda
As a student you are technically poor,so try spend less on exotic stuff and learn to appreciate what you've got.

As a student most people are independent, grown up humans and appreciate not being told what to do by people on the internet. Some students aren't poor. Some have worked for the money and if they want to spend it on a MacBook, why not?

I have had a part time job for one year and earned several grands, now I'm going to spend one on a MacBook. I don't drink any alcohol, I don't spend much on clothing. Add together all the money the average student spends on booze and clubbing per year, multiply it with the number of years one usually uses a MacBook (3 - 6 I'd say) and you will find that it's not as much.

How comes you people think that it's appreciated if you tell other people how to spend their money?
Reply 31
Original post by onda
You make students look dumb, only thinking about the short term and not the long term. Trust me, it will come bite you back when you really are in a pinch and that grand could make the difference between going cold or warm.

lol I already made up my mind not to get it. Maybe I should re-edit my post then. That would be smart.
Reply 32
Original post by ANewStudent
lol I already made up my mind not to get it. Maybe I should re-edit my post then. That would be smart.

I'm very happy to hear that, despite the apple fans boys and girls pressurizng you to get it you have made a brave decision and one worth celebrating with a glass of ribena:biggrin:very few see the logic behind my reasoning and many just conform to what others buy and not thinking about the consequences that entails so once again congratulation and I'm sure that grand will be your saviour one day.

Do you know what I hate the most? People blindly copying the behaviours of others, in other words, conformity.
(edited 11 years ago)
I bought mines from the apple store.

No point in looking for a discount as the MacBook makes every penny worth buying it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by onda
I'm very happy to hear that, despite the apple fans boys and girls pressurizng you to get it you have made a brave decision and one worth celebrating with a glass of ribena:biggrin:very few see the logic behind my reasoning and many just conform to what others buy and not thinking about the consequences that entails so once again congratulation and I'm sure that grand will be your saviour one day.

Do you know what I hate the most? People blindly copying the behaviours of others, in other words, conformity.

LOL

It is not the Mac he has decided against ... it is buying a laptop at this time
Reply 35
Original post by onda

There are three categories: Apple fanboy, neutral person, Apple hater. As much as you dislike Apple fanboys, you seem to be an Apple hater which is exactly as ridiculous as the fanboy cult.

I do not own any Apple device (except for the keyboard and mouse) yet and I find your 'celebrating a brave decision' concept quite irritating.

There are arguments for and against Macs and whilst you can name several cons other people can rationally challenge you with their pros. Not everyone who purchases a Mac desperately tries to 'conform' with others.
Reply 36
Best Mac for a typical student = MacBook Air. Anyone who argues otherwise is silly :smile:

As for the 15% thing, I can also confirm that you *can* get that discount if you buy it over the counter with sufficient ID/logging to your uni's intranet or whatever. Applecare cost me £40 with the discount too.
Reply 37
Original post by Sir Fox
No offense intended but I can't really believe that. There are two types of discounts: the normal student discount (what you mentioned) and the 'Apple on campus' discount. You only get the 15% if you qualify for the 'AoC' discount (the normal student discount is slightly less) and the 'AoC' is only available if you purchase from the Apple online store via the university network.

You can't just walk into an Apple store and get the 15% (even if you university qualifies), you have to purchase it online. What you got has most likely been the normal student account + the gift card and Apple care due to the Back to School program.

There is haha. Thats how I bought my MAC you can get a discounted MAC pro 13 inch at the store, and they still give you the free 70£ gift card, only the applecare extended warranty is just 75% discounted as opposed to being free when you buy it online :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending