The Student Room Group

Applying for access course help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Beckland
To be perfectly honest I'm not sure as I don't have any experience of the courses and jobs they lead to, I'm torn between science and engineering, business or law I have never done any academic type job and have always wanted to test myself as I know I'm capaple,

Before making any decisions look on university websites. Some degrees have GCSE requirements which cannot be avoided. I did pharmacy and every university I emailed told me that I would not be considered if I did not meet their GCSE requirements (some just wanted Maths and English at C or above, others wanted more) even if I did the same subjects at equivalent or higher level. You will find some courses that accept students with equivalents or alternatives but it is best to check.
Reply 21
Original post by SAXONGB
From what I understand of these courses they can get you into university for certain courses but for other courses they are no good such as Maths, Science and Engineering.

What Access courses?

I just finished my access course and will be starting a Physics degree at the University of Bristol in October.
Reply 22
You can't really generalise about Access acceptance. For example, a quick search shows that Brunel accepts Access for entry to their 4 year undergrad Engineering degree, with specified GCEs/grades:
http://www.brunel.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/engineering-with-an-integrated-foundation-year

There will certainly be unis which accept Access for Maths, Science and Engineering - you'll just have to do your research carefully before applying.
Reply 23
Hi mate I'm studying the BTEC extended level 3 diploma in construction and the built environment and I will be in my second year in september.
I also have no GCSE's and my course tutor has reffered me to a function skills course to do my level 1 and 2 qaluifactions wich are equavalnt to GCSE A* - C. The extended diploma qaulifaction is worth two or three A levels i'm not sure exactly sure and the subsidary qaulifaction is worth one A level i think. I was also told the subsidary qaulifaction would not get me into uni and would have to do a founadtion degree (HND/ HNC) then i would be able to uni after awards. there is quite a bit of course work involed (espspically if you dont keep on top of it all) but aint that hard really except when your attempting to do distinctions. anyway I hope that helps you a little bit, if you got any qusetions just meesage me.
Reply 24
Please be careful when considering a foundation to Access course. As other posters have said, some courses/universities specify specific GCSE grades and do not accept equivalent level 2 qualifications.

As a prime example there was a guy on my Access course that completed the level 2 Access the previous year, he wanted to study nursing (specifically ODP), but was told by all the universities he spoke to that the level 2 qualification was not equivalent to GCSE and that they would not consider his application unless he had the appropriate GCSE qualifications.

I would urge you to consider carefully what you wish to study at university. Once you have decided, I would shortlist the universities you would like to attend, then contact them directly and ask if they accept equivalent level 2 qualifications.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending