Applying for access course help? Watch

jami74
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Beckland)
To be perfectly honest I'm not sure as I don't have any experience of the courses and jobs they lead to, I'm torn between science and engineering, business or law I have never done any academic type job and have always wanted to test myself as I know I'm capaple,
Before making any decisions look on university websites. Some degrees have GCSE requirements which cannot be avoided. I did pharmacy and every university I emailed told me that I would not be considered if I did not meet their GCSE requirements (some just wanted Maths and English at C or above, others wanted more) even if I did the same subjects at equivalent or higher level. You will find some courses that accept students with equivalents or alternatives but it is best to check.
FaraDai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SAXONGB)
From what I understand of these courses they can get you into university for certain courses but for other courses they are no good such as Maths, Science and Engineering.
What Access courses?

I just finished my access course and will be starting a Physics degree at the University of Bristol in October.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can't really generalise about Access acceptance. For example, a quick search shows that Brunel accepts Access for entry to their 4 year undergrad Engineering degree, with specified GCEs/grades:
http://www.brunel.ac.uk/courses/unde...oundation-year

There will certainly be unis which accept Access for Maths, Science and Engineering - you'll just have to do your research carefully before applying.
deann3g
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi mate I'm studying the BTEC extended level 3 diploma in construction and the built environment and I will be in my second year in september.
I also have no GCSE's and my course tutor has reffered me to a function skills course to do my level 1 and 2 qaluifactions wich are equavalnt to GCSE A* - C. The extended diploma qaulifaction is worth two or three A levels i'm not sure exactly sure and the subsidary qaulifaction is worth one A level i think. I was also told the subsidary qaulifaction would not get me into uni and would have to do a founadtion degree (HND/ HNC) then i would be able to uni after awards. there is quite a bit of course work involed (espspically if you dont keep on top of it all) but aint that hard really except when your attempting to do distinctions. anyway I hope that helps you a little bit, if you got any qusetions just meesage me.
Bunnyjo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Please be careful when considering a foundation to Access course. As other posters have said, some courses/universities specify specific GCSE grades and do not accept equivalent level 2 qualifications.

As a prime example there was a guy on my Access course that completed the level 2 Access the previous year, he wanted to study nursing (specifically ODP), but was told by all the universities he spoke to that the level 2 qualification was not equivalent to GCSE and that they would not consider his application unless he had the appropriate GCSE qualifications.

I would urge you to consider carefully what you wish to study at university. Once you have decided, I would shortlist the universities you would like to attend, then contact them directly and ask if they accept equivalent level 2 qualifications.

Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads