The Student Room Group

Computing w/ Foundation - Where?

Hi,
This is all very early days for me, I have not applied, spoke to nor made any contact with anybody regarding this.

Im 28, Live in East London. I am searching for universities that offer a computing course with a foundation year. I finished school and went to college to study a level 2 before applying for the military. After being declined for one reason or another, i fell into construction and have been ever since, no other formal education.

I have NO idea how any of this works so please excuse me if what seems obvious, has gone over my head.

My problem, is i cannot seem to find literally any Uni that require 0 UCAS points for the foundation. I was under the impression that the foundation year was for exactly that - potential students with not enough points to apply directly for a course.
I have attempted to search several Uni's sites and they all have requirements I dont meet for the foundation and i also have extensively searched google for a perhaps a list of Uni's that offer a foundation.
Have I misunderstood what the foundation year is for? Does anybody know any other sources/sites that may be able to provide more info? Any help is appreciated.
Original post by Rolphy95
Hi,
This is all very early days for me, I have not applied, spoke to nor made any contact with anybody regarding this.

Im 28, Live in East London. I am searching for universities that offer a computing course with a foundation year. I finished school and went to college to study a level 2 before applying for the military. After being declined for one reason or another, i fell into construction and have been ever since, no other formal education.

I have NO idea how any of this works so please excuse me if what seems obvious, has gone over my head.

My problem, is i cannot seem to find literally any Uni that require 0 UCAS points for the foundation. I was under the impression that the foundation year was for exactly that - potential students with not enough points to apply directly for a course.
I have attempted to search several Uni's sites and they all have requirements I dont meet for the foundation and i also have extensively searched google for a perhaps a list of Uni's that offer a foundation.
Have I misunderstood what the foundation year is for? Does anybody know any other sources/sites that may be able to provide more info? Any help is appreciated.

Most foundation courses still require level 3 qualifications (A levels, BTECs, etc.) to get onto them. A one-year Access to Higher Education Diploma would be a better route for you:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Most foundation courses still require level 3 qualifications (A levels, BTECs, etc.) to get onto them. A one-year Access to Higher Education Diploma would be a better route for you:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access
Thankyou for your reply.

If that is the case, that means going to college first and doing a level 3 would also be a possibility for me. From the University's' perspective, what would be more desirable, an applicant with the Level 3 NVQ or the access to higher education diploma? Also, are the Access to Higher Education Diplomas tailored to the following course I would be studying or are they a generic "Ready For Uni" style course? Thanks again.
Original post by Rolphy95
Thankyou for your reply.

If that is the case, that means going to college first and doing a level 3 would also be a possibility for me. From the University's' perspective, what would be more desirable, an applicant with the Level 3 NVQ or the access to higher education diploma? Also, are the Access to Higher Education Diplomas tailored to the following course I would be studying or are they a generic "Ready For Uni" style course? Thanks again.

Access courses are subject specific. Try the course search for your location and subject:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search

Access courses are widely accepted by unis. If you have an idea of which unis you would apply to for computing, have a look at the entry requirements on the course web page to see if they accept Access courses and in what subjects. For example:

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2024-25/full-time/undergraduate/computing-bsc-hons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending