The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by william walker
Also the police are armed in Britain now, they murder people also. In London you see the police walk around with machine guns.

UK police killing is irrelevant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_Kingdom
Original post by Frostyjoe
There are so many Americans in my university, it's not even funny. I seriously don't GET it. Why would Americans ever leave all the opportunities they have to come to this crappy island?

1. The UK is so,so small, you can drive from one end to the other in a few hours.
2. The climate is horrendous.
3. All the buildings are small and compact, some cities are Claustrophic.
4. It's expensive.
5. Opening hours aren't nearly as good as America.

Whereas with America:

1. Much better shopping opportunities.
2. So many different places that you can go to.
3. Better weather.
4. There's somewhere for everyone.
5. Opening hours are better.
6. It's so much cheaper.
7. So many different types of cuisines.
8. So many different types of landscapes.

I just can't understand why they would come here. America is clearly a million times better than the UK will ever be, let's get real.

I want to move there. It makes me angry when I see an American coming here, why would they throw all that out for this place?

I can think of one reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y162FE-4z7A
There are so many Americans in my university, it's not even funny. I seriously don't GET it. Why would Americans ever leave all the opportunities they have to come to this crappy island?

1. The UK is so,so small, you can drive from one end to the other in a few hours.
2. The climate is horrendous.
3. All the buildings are small and compact, some cities are Claustrophic.
4. It's expensive.
5. Opening hours aren't nearly as good as America.

Whereas with America:

1. Much better shopping opportunities.
2. So many different places that you can go to.
3. Better weather.
4. There's somewhere for everyone.
5. Opening hours are better.
6. It's so much cheaper.
7. So many different types of cuisines.
8. So many different types of landscapes.

I just can't understand why they would come here. America is clearly a million times better than the UK will ever be, let's get real.

I want to move there. It makes me angry when I see an American coming here, why would they throw all that out for this place?

That's one of the reasons I like it here...

You do realize Scotland is in the UK right? Or anything above Birmingham for that matter.

Good look driving all the way from the outer Hebrides to the Dover cliffs in a "few hours" lol

As a working pleb I can think of several other countries that are far better for me to live in in terms of holidays, free at the point of access services available and just general citizens rights. There are good things about America, and I hope to visit part of it some day. But I would never want to live their permanently. Also why the hell would I study in america?

For a rich country, America has the inequities of a third world country in a lot of ways...

For me to consider even living there they would have to get their act together first.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thecatwithnohat
If you don't go a top 5 uni in America, you are about as relevant as a booger

Whereas here, there are a wider range of opportunities, and not all is about higher education but apprenticeships get you cool jobs too

Plus the death rates in America are :eek: :eek: (:eek:)

I don't think the first bit is true. Many people have gone to universities like Purdue (ranked crappy) but work for NASA/Google
Reply 24
In terms of opportunity, the UK is pretty much as good as it can get. Although, of course it can always be better.

And the climate doesn't try to kill us.
Original post by Student403
I don't think the first bit is true. Many people have gone to universities like Purdue (ranked crappy) but work for NASA/Google

I've never heard of that uni if I'm being completely honest. And we all know how many employers here at least are a bit biased about unis their potential employees come from, though I guess it isn't the be all or end all.

Point proven :gah:

Most Americans do not live a Hollywood dream. Their 18 year old children live in the suburbs of cities that are no more than a name to most Britons. As Americans have shorter vacations than Brits, most American teenagers have seen very little of their country. A year in a much small, more diverse, older country widens the horizons of most American teenagers enormously.
It's not like that there, don't let the news paint you're image of what it is like.

It is like that though
it's free health care

Latest