The Student Room Group

How to get atleast a B or above on Maths.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blancosdos
It is.Even my teachers say it.In Comparison to 2012/13 the 15 papers(i did both for mocks) seem much harder.But that my opinion,and regardless of difficulty ,i need a B.Thanks for the advice

I'm a maths teacher - GCSE papers were not harder last year. The pass rate was very similar and will be roughly the same because the standard for a C cannot change.
Original post by Sasha2208
Hi. If you want to get at least a B or above in maths, you seriously need to do plenty of revising rules, understanding the tricky questions that catch you out, and practice.
You need to realize that maths is all about rules. Try thinking of different ways to get the same answer, it makes you think of things differently.
95%+ =A*
85%+ =A
75%+ =B
These are probably not the grade boundaries you have at school, but it's good to know what you're aiming for, so you can get your best possible mark. Hope you improve!

Those are NOTHING like the grade boundaries at GCSE maths!
Sorry if this has been said (didn't read the past answers) but practice practice practice. Maths is great because there's a neverending number of questions and so many are available online, so do past papers, and if you've done them all, buy a workbook, or find questions online. If there's certain topics you struggle with, write down what they are and find out how to do it - if your school provides GcsePod or MyMaths or MathsWatch etc then definitely use them. Once you've grasped the concept, keep doing questions until you're comfortable with it.
Original post by Muttley79
Those are NOTHING like the grade boundaries at GCSE maths!

Oops! Sorry! They are our grade boundaries for our maths tests, or science tests, NOT exams! Sorry! :tongue:
At mock season last year January I had gotten an E in my Maths paper.
In the real paper, I got a B, 3 marks of an A, and my mathematics is TERRIBLE.

The key was what 'my_name_' had said. Understand the theory. As soon as I got that B, I went back to square one, I'm talking about D grade mathematics. Build up from there. Understand how to round, becuase this can lose you marks otherwise. Understand basic D grade fractions, then move to C grade, then B grade. The reason this works is because it builds up your ability and if you have no basic maths foundation, there is no way you could answer the B grade questions because they encompass D-C grade thinking. If you learn them, you somehow manage to apply it to the hardrr questions and start picking out key concepts in harder questions that link to D or C grade topics. It took a Very long time and people laughed when I told them I had started D grade topics again but I swear to you it works. Luckily my school had invested in a website called MathsWatch (pretty sure you can buy it too). You can print out worksheets for every single maths topic from it (grade D-A*) and constantly work on them. Otherwise, HegartyMaths on Youtube was a LIFE SAVER.

I really hope you do well, because getitng a B or higher in Maths GCSE can open up a lot of doors in terms of university for you. Good luck, and start working from now!
Original post by LenniesRabbit
At mock season last year January I had gotten an E in my Maths paper.
In the real paper, I got a B, 3 marks of an A, and my mathematics is TERRIBLE.

The key was what 'my_name_' had said. Understand the theory. As soon as I got that B, I went back to square one, I'm talking about D grade mathematics. Build up from there. Understand how to round, becuase this can lose you marks otherwise. Understand basic D grade fractions, then move to C grade, then B grade. The reason this works is because it builds up your ability and if you have no basic maths foundation, there is no way you could answer the B grade questions because they encompass D-C grade thinking. If you learn them, you somehow manage to apply it to the hardrr questions and start picking out key concepts in harder questions that link to D or C grade topics. It took a Very long time and people laughed when I told them I had started D grade topics again but I swear to you it works. Luckily my school had invested in a website called MathsWatch (pretty sure you can buy it too). You can print out worksheets for every single maths topic from it (grade D-A*) and constantly work on them. Otherwise, HegartyMaths on Youtube was a LIFE SAVER.

I really hope you do well, because getitng a B or higher in Maths GCSE can open up a lot of doors in terms of university for you. Good luck, and start working from now!

How long did you practise?
And i always lose marks on the wordy questions
Original post by sue99
I suspect maybe the problem is that you aren't quite understanding some of the topics, or you see a different application of an area of Maths and aren't quite sure how to apply.

I suggest that you clear up ANY doubts, big or small, by any means necessary. Get someone patient to go through it with you and explain it you step by step - don't be afraid to ask for help. Then make notes for topics, especially the ones you previously didn't understand, on flash cards etc., in a way that you understand - instructions, stating the obvious, anything - don't copy from any textbook, website etc if you don't understand, and stay true to yourself here. Then, and only then, should you try questions from past papers, textbooks etc. If there is a question you didn't quite understand, and you couldn't work out how the answer was obtained, consult anyone who can help. Then use that question and write notes to yourself on how to solve the question. Any question that you come across that you can't do - do not leave it and think it won't come up in the exam, because chances are it will.

Hope that helps :smile: GOOD LUCK! :tongue:

YESS
Thank you
Thanks everyone.
I went to school during the holidays and did just maths past papers for about 4 hours each day, it literally is just practice.
I worked in small groups with different people each time so when one person didn't get something, another person could explain if that failed, we'd get the teacher over. We also had this thing at school called 'mathswatch' which was really good I think you have to pay for it but the teacher just let us download it on our USBs. I got an E in my maths mock then a B in the real exam so it's definitely possible, good luck!:smile:
Thanks.

That's the problem though.I generally understand the topics,but when it comes to exams,my brain freezes,and i can't comprehend much.TBH,i haven't been doing past papers,due to the fact that my morale gets lowered when i see all the questions i have been getting wrong.

Hi, get a cgp maths book! It's useful in going through and explaining exam questions and how to tackle and interpret them. Also highlight the key words and numbers of a question, that should simplify the question down. Don't pay too pay too much attention about the faff about how Sarah or someone making a cake for a party or something :colonhash:(sorry Sarah or whoever, I am sure your cake is great!)
Also keep going with those exam papers, I know it's tough, but the more you practice, the more you can practice exam technique and improve your skills in interpreting the questions.

Also if you feel stressed during exams, take deep breath, clear your mind for a bit, and reread the question. Also maybe read the question in a weird accent in your head, and put more stress on the key words and numbers, so you focus on them and also maybe amuse yourself:smile: I am not sure if this works though.

Feel free to pm me if you need any help:h:
Reply 29
I've always been weak at my maths but great in my other subjects,so i wish to ask for help.How can one(from a grade D) get to at least a grade B in 2/3 months?

Any tips?

I do understand the topics(via watching math videos) however when it comes to the exam i fail to apply it,its always worded really weirdly.

PAAAASSSSSTTTTT PAAAAPPPPPERSSSS. Seriously I came in to maths last year two weeks late and I was so confused. I was trying my hardest and I was still getting E's and U's. I releaside that theres a system to this and that if you learn where and why you went wrong in past papers and on homeworks, trust me youll excel. By the way got a B (A-D1, B's in C1 and C2) last year
How long did you practise?
And i always lose marks on the wordy questions

Hey sorry my answer is meant to say "As soon as I got that E" in the first couple of lines.
I had basically started the week after I got my result (January or February) Every day as soon as I got home I got started and, for someone who hates Maths is was hell to get in to, but after 7 days I suddenly got quite obsessive over it and it seemed like less of a chore and actually quite entertaining so started practicing for several hours a day and almost all day on weekends.

The wordy questions were always my downfall too e.g. those ones about calculating costs or distance. Some advice I can give is to break it up. Take it in steps, but at the same time, don't think ahead. So if youre calculating the size of a patio or something, think what you will do first, but dont consider what to do next before you actually get the answer for the first calculation you do or else you will get confused.
Also, past papers. I wont repeat what other have said because I can understand that it gets a bit annoying, but in terms of the wordy questions, they almost always start off in the same way in order papers. E.g. calculating bills would always need to you work out amount owed per month/week/hour. That in itself will get you 1 or two marks :smile:

Any more questions/detail feel free to ask!:smile:)
Thanks everyone

Quick Reply

Latest