The Student Room Group

What would you say about a 22 year old having feelings for a 16 year old?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think society in general is too overly fussed about age, and very quick to use the "pedo" tag wherever they can [often wrongly, since technically a pedophile is a guy attracted to children who are prepubescent]

a 22 - 16 age gap will get the office gals talking.
and question marks will be drawn over your character.

personally, you have to decide how much you actually like this girl, and if you are willing to put up with a bit of stick.

when i was 26 i had some dates with some 18 year old. There are some who would frown on this, but i decided if they want get wrinkles before their time then i'd let them.
Original post by ANM775
when i was 26 i had some dates with some 18 year old. There are some who would frown on this, but i decided if they want get wrinkles before their time then i'd let them.

lmao that's pathetic, must be ugly as f**k.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
lmao that's pathetic, must be ugly as f**k.

lol.

no, what's actually pathetic is that you had to go "anonymous" to say that
Reply 23
Meh.
Just probably not a good idea to act on it.
You've probably finished university, could have been in the army for a few years, she has just finished school.

Think about that for a moment...
Original post by ANM775

18 is different.
It's a hard question to give a black and white answer to as it also depends on the individuals maturity as well as their age.
Woow, I didn't know TSR has got so many pedo sympathisers.
I mean she's legal and can get married with her parents consent so what exactly is the problem?

I think the issue is emotional maturity and life experience. Some people at 16 are more mature than others in their 20s, depending on the things they've been through.

I had to grow up very fast for various reasons, and although I didn't enter into such a relationship at 16, I don't think there would have been anything wrong with me getting with a guy that much my senior. At 16, I could make my own decisions and had full autonomy over myself and my body.

It is certainly not wrong to have feelings, but as an adult with more experience you should take control to ensure you are not (even indirectly) exploiting the age gap in any way.

Ultimately, the 'law' and societal constructs serve as a good guide but you can use other human instincts to decide on an ad hoc basis dependent on the situation.

The law states a 16 year old is legal to have sex with anyone else above the age of 16; it doesn't state an upper limit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RobML
What if the 22 year has a strong conviction of ever taking advantage of a woman?

Hahahaahaha

Freudian slip m8
Reply 30
As long as she's legal, you ain't forcing her or leading her on, or using her then go ahead... 16 years old is old enough to make their own decisions and she might be mature for her age.
Original post by Ethereal World
I mean she's legal and can get married with her parents consent so what exactly is the problem?

I think the issue is emotional maturity and life experience. Some people at 16 are more mature than others in their 20s, depending on the things they've been through.

I had to grow up very fast for various reasons, and although I didn't enter into such a relationship at 16, I don't think there would have been anything wrong with me getting with a guy that much my senior. At 16, I could make my own decisions and had full autonomy over myself and my body.

It is certainly not wrong to have feelings, but as an adult with more experience you should take control to ensure you are not (even indirectly) exploiting the age gap in any way.

I agree with this completely, it isn't "wrong" per say but the maturity level may not be there. I know for sure, although I was mature at that age in terms of being sensible etc, I wasn't emotionally mature enough or experienced enough to make such decisions over myself. Therefore I wouldn't call this a "pedophillic mindset" because it's not, I think it is just two different stages in two peoples lives that probably wouldn't work together very well at present because of their different levels of emotional maturity and experience.
Original post by ZuluK
As long as she's legal, you ain't forcing her or leading her on, or using her then go ahead... 16 years old is old enough to make their own decisions and she might be mature for her age.

I'm guessing you're 16? Looking back on me and my classmates when we were 16, we were much less mature then we are now.
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
Woow, I didn't know TSR has got so many pedo sympathisers.

The criteria for pedophilia extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13.

16 > 13.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I agree with this completely, it isn't "wrong" per say but the maturity level may not be there. I know for sure, although I was mature at that age in terms of being sensible etc, I wasn't emotionally mature enough or experienced enough to make such decisions over myself. Therefore I wouldn't call this a "pedophillic mindset" because it's not, I think it is just two different stages in two peoples lives that probably wouldn't work together very well at present because of their different levels of emotional maturity and experience.

:yes:

Exactly.

Also 222 followers :ahee:
Reply 37
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
I'm guessing you're 16? Looking back on me and my classmates when we were 16, we were much less mature then we are now.

Um I'm 21... :redface:

It depends on the girl. Some 16year old i know are more mature than I am and some act as if they're 12... so it does depend on the individual
:borat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending