The Student Room Group

Do you disagree with ear piercings on babies/young children?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't do it to my kid. I mean, I see absolutely no reason for it.
Why would I cause them unnecessary pain( even if theres usually very little pf it) ?
If they grow up and want to get their whole ****ing face pierced they can go ahead but I would never take a little kid to get their ears pierced.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I don't even remember it in the slightest. I'll most likely get my daughters (if I have one in the future) pierced, as in my culture it's usually girls who have them done. I wouldn't mind my potential son having piercings either.

Since that, I've had 5 more piercings. Saved me the trouble of having the extra two done and more pain.

People are acting like this is child abuse, talk about being over dramatic lol.
Original post by Saliency
As a poster said above, everyone seems to have a negative opinion on this but when it comes to religion it's okay? People also have to remember it's a cultural thing, and different cultures do things differently whether you agree with it or not.

I'm personally thankful I had mine done young. I've never heard of anyone regretful or angry at their parents for doing it.

I agree, in my culture it's common to have piercings. Just studs, nothing fancy lol! That's just taking it too far in my opinion. Since then, I've had 5 more piercings. I don't hate my parents for it? Neither does my sister. My Mum has 8 piercings haha! Dad doesn't have any but that's his own choice.
Original post by yudothis
What about religion? Why is that ok but piercings aren't?

Oh god, of course somebody has to ruin this thread by turning it into a religious debate... Welcome to The Student Room
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, it should be the child's choice when they're older. Completely goes against human rights to do that unless there's some sort of medical reason.
Got my ears pierced at 2 weeks old and I have no memory of it or the pain - glad I had it done then than later on.
Had mine done at 18 months, no big deal, I love earrings anyways! :colondollar:

If the child grows up and doesn't like it, they can always have it close up naturally like someone else said before.

Tbh, this isn't a big deal. Got bigger things to worry about than being angry about an event that I can't even remember LOL
Original post by chelseadagg3r
How do you feel about parents taking their babies and toddlers to get their ears pierced? Do you think there should be an age limit, or just let parents make the decision?

I personally think it's fine because in some cultures it is an expected thing. Tbh I am so grateful I had mine done when I was a baby, otherwise there's no way in hell I'd do it now and I have no recollection of the pain.
Original post by ollie1024
Oh god, of course somebody has to ruin this thread by turning it into a religious debate now... Welcome to The Student Room

Their username reflects what I thought too
Original post by chelseadagg3r
How do you feel about parents taking their babies and toddlers to get their ears pierced? Do you think there should be an age limit, or just let parents make the decision?

I don't get my ears pierced, and i thinks parents should not take their babies and toddlers to get their ears pierced!
Yes.
Yeap.. I disagree
yes, definitely it's still a body modification like a tattoo. I'm sure many wouldn't like to see a baby/toddler get a tattoo.
Reply 33
Original post by Multitalented me
Yes, it should be the child's choice when they're older. Completely goes against human rights to do that unless there's some sort of medical reason.

At what age would you say they had that choice?
Agree. I'm so happy my mum had my ears pierced when I was 1 years old, if I didn't have it done I would've been to scared to get it done when older because of the pain.
A one year old won't even remember pain
Totally wrong! Piercing a child is disgusting!
Original post by Ishax
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I don't even remember it in the slightest. I'll most likely get my daughters (if I have one in the future) pierced, as in my culture it's usually girls who have them done. I wouldn't mind my potential son having piercings either.

Since that, I've had 5 more piercings. Saved me the trouble of having the extra two done and more pain.

People are acting like this is child abuse, talk about being over dramatic lol.

It is child abuse though
I got mine at a young age but from what my Mum told me, if a baby gets piercings before the age of one and above then it will be less painful for them. Many of my family members get their children piercings before they hit a certain age.
This is a thing...? Also this thread is nearly 2 years old.
I would have prefered if I had a choice, my ears were pierced as a kid and personally, I don't like earrings on me. i would say to at least wait until the kid is older so the he/she makes the choice

Quick Reply

Latest