The Student Room Group

When a cashier girl says "Thanks a lot"

Scroll to see replies

You're being way too hopeful!
They all did that where I used to work so don't read into it.
She'll do that with everyone so I would think anything of it if I were you.
As a cashier myself, when I say thanks a lot what I really mean is 'bend me over my till belt right now.'

Don't read into it OP.
Original post by ANM775
hey, I worked as a charity fundraiser too ....for like a day.

was given a bucket, and told go out and collect money. I think I made around 50 quid,

out of that 50 quid, management pockets about 30%, the charity gets about 30%, and you get about 40%

lots of people are under the illusion that if you donate lets say £5 to a chugger that the £5 will be going to charity, but it's not. only a certain percentage will and this will differ slightly based on the agency.

those chuggers lucky enough to be working for hourly rate probably have a slightly differant pay structure, but i can assure you than not 100% of what they collect will be going straight to charities as somehow they will need to be paid.

And they are called chuggers basically because of the way they hound people in an intrusive manor when folk are just going about their daily business. It's almost like mugging lol. I always try to steer clear of them if i spot them in the street or shopping centre.

true though, it's a pretty exhausting job.

Those are outrageous figures I don't know what organisation you were working for. Did you make those figures up or are they real figures.
of course not all the money goes to the charity the hourly rate etc. Also you get bonus if you hit certain target. That been said the vast majority does go to the charity.

As I previously said you think when you see an Oxfam advert on your TV that all that money goes towards the Charity? you are aware that the Advert is not free right?

I worked on behalf of World Vision they do a a huge amount of good for the world. (Yes I know they are a christian faith based charity I am an atheist so what they still help lots of starving people)

Are you seriously going to tell me that some child in Africa should starve to death due to not getting the funds that they could raise so that you are not inconvenienced in the streets????

I know you may not want to donate that is your choice which i respect but they cannot know that and in order to get through to the few individuals who are happy to give their money to such a worthy cause they will have to inconvenience a lot of people who don't for 30 seconds or etc. I wonder what you would say if you were that African kid who could not get food water education or clothes on your back.

Would you seriously say oh no dont go out and raise funds for me it may inconvenience some rich dude for like 30 seconds?
Original post by Precious Illusions
As a cashier myself, when I say thanks a lot what I really mean is 'bend me over my till belt right now.'

Don't read into it OP.

:toofunny:

you made me laugh.

thanks a lot

:teehee: *
Original post by Luke7456
Those are outrageous figures

They certainly are.

As I previously said you think when you see an Oxfam advert on your TV that all that money goes towards the Charity? you are aware that the Advert is not free right?

True, but 30% is far too low. You should aim for charities that spend as high as possible on charitable activities (e.g. >70%).

Are you seriously going to tell me that some child in Africa should starve to death due to not getting the funds that they could raise so that you are not inconvenienced in the streets????

You are right that we should all help those suffering through no fault of their own. But chugging is a terrible way to raise money. It's incredibly inefficient, it annoys people and potentially turns them off charitable giving generally.
Original post by chazwomaq
They certainly are.

True, but 30% is far too low. You should aim for charities that spend as high as possible on charitable activities (e.g. >70%).

You are right that we should all help those suffering through no fault of their own. But chugging is a terrible way to raise money. It's incredibly inefficient, it annoys people and potentially turns them off charitable giving generally.

I cant remember whether it was 90% smthing or 80% smthing but for the charity I was raising funds for it was definitely more than 80%. As I have said previously street fund raising is much more cost effective then expensive TV adds. So if you think street fund raising is inefficient do you have ideas for what would be more efficient. people complain about the adverts on TV as well. it seems any reminded that their are people worse of then you in the world who are suffering gets peoples back up. I guess people don't like it in their faces because they feel guilty when they can't afford to give or don't want to. well they are under no obligation to and I think it is better the word gets out so that those who are willing and able to help can.
If she does it again it is close to a marrgiage proposal.
Ask for her SC or Whatsapp next time

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I have said previously street fund raising is much more cost effective then expensive TV adds.

Is that true? Are there data on that? I would be surprised but I stand to be corrected.
You should say to her, ''It's OK, darling, any day.''
Reply 30
The barrista at Starbucks always write my name on my coffee. Do you reckon she has the hots for me?
Oh, yeah.
The costa ones are hotties too.
Original post by kkboyk
The barrista at Starbucks always write my name on my coffee. Do you reckon she has the hots for me?
Original post by silverbolt
yeah but not necessarily from him :biggrin: :biggrin:: :biggrin:

Lol. :lol:
Reply 33
Those are outrageous figures I don't know what organisation you were working for. Did you make those figures up or are they real figures.
of course not all the money goes to the charity the hourly rate etc. Also you get bonus if you hit certain target. That been said the vast majority does go to the charity.

I worked on behalf of World Vision they do a a huge amount of good for the world. (Yes I know they are a christian faith based charity I am an atheist so what they still help lots of starving people)

I know you may not want to donate that is your choice which i respect but they cannot know that and in order to get through to the few individuals who are happy to give their money to such a worthy cause they will have to inconvenience a lot of people who don't for 30 seconds or etc. I wonder what you would say if you were that African kid who could not get food water education or clothes on your back.

Would you seriously say oh no dont go out and raise funds for me it may inconvenience some rich dude for like 30 seconds?

They are real figures not made up. I found the ad for the job on gumtree and applied for it. The next day I got an interview inviting me for a trial day. They said we would get paid and to bring our passports.

They had a small office somewhere in London. When I got there there was a few other people too applying [job had multiple vacancies], we were given a sheet of paper explaining the pay structure, and the charity got 30%, management got 30% and we got 40%. We were told to hand in our passports to them and we would get them back at the end of the day [i guess they were scared of newbies running off with buckets full of money], we were then given an empty sealed bucket and told which area to go to and start collecting. They told us that we ideally we should be collecting £100+ a day to be on target. I was put with some 16 year old. Two guys ran the charity and they had once receptionist, all sharing the same office. One of the guys gave me some tips and told me to target old people as they were more generous.

Anyways, we went out ....and I didn't really beleive him about the old people and started targeting young people in their 20's in work attire as they look like the ones who would have money, but i soon realised that young people were really quite stingy when it comes to donating. Then I tried targeting the old people and the dude who ran the charity was right, old people were far more generous than the young. Anyways, I stood there chugging shouting at people for donations as they walked past and by the days end i collected around 50 quid. I tried my best and was exhausted. I got more than the 16 year old too.

They offered to keep me and the 16 year old on and i agreed at first but never ended up going back. 40% of £50 is not a lot for a fulls days work and as i had tried my hardest i figured i wouldn't be able to get much more than that. The charity owners were running quite a tidy little business they had over 50 people out each day for them with buckets, and if they are skimming 30% off of each of them for themselves that soon adds up to quite a bit of money. I thought to myself, it was too easy to get this job working for them and figured out why. They are not paying you anything you don't earn yourself, and even if you are sh*t at the job and only earn £5 for a full days work, ..it's better for them to have that bucket out in the field earning a measly £5 than it is for them to have the bucket sitting in their office earning nothing. And there was quite a few empty buckets in their office.

I actually thought about collecting money on the street for charity myself and taking like 70% and giving 30% to charity [increasing my own profits by cutting on the middleman] but apparently you have to be a registered charity to do this, and not just any old tom dick and harry.

tbh, this topic as got me thinking about it again and it might be worth the hassle of setting up and trying to make a charity. think of how much money one could get if he had 50+ people out bucket collecting for him a day and was skimming 30% off of that.

and yes, before i worked for charity i assumed that all the donations went to the charities, i had no idea that others were taking a cut of it.

If it is truely 80+% being sent to charity then i suppose that's fairly decent.but are you sure? how are the workers getting paid then? if so much of what they collect is going to charities?

and no i suppose it's better for the poor African child to get his donations, but it can become really annoying being pestered by chuggers at times, especially when they don't want to take no for an answer.

It's a hard job though,sometimes i do feel sorry for them seeing all the rejections they get. I'm not surprised you got let go as getting people to sign upto to give money is difficult. I had it slightly easier as i was given a bucket and people are much more likely to drop money into a bucket than get their credit card out and sign upto something long term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending