Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I should be happy that we are 1 point behind City, but today is the day Chelsea won the league.

ReputationRep:
    Haha
    Man city are just saying to arsenal come and take second place in the next game
    I was not expecting Man City to lose today lol
    They are going to have it tough against barca

I want Tottenham and Man U to draw tomorrow
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I wouldn't go that far I still think they will finish 2nd. When you say they are the worst of the top teams you can't say they are worse than UTD. We have a chance of coming 2nd but I'm not bothered about that I want to win the FA Cup and progress in the CL.
    well the form in the last 10 games is:

liverpool 26
    arsenal 24
    chelsea 21
    spurs 20
    united 18
    soton 17
    city 15

looking at that, i would say they are the worst out of the top teams right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    our away form is excellent, not sure where you got that from mate....
    considering that none of those away losses have been in 2015 (i.e: since we dramatically improved), that's kind of a pointless stat to throw out there.

we haven't even lost in the league this year, just sounds like you're trying to convince yourself you'll win and using nonsense data to back yourself up:rolleyes:
    Call down pal, I was only quoting the stats I had seen, away form of played 13 won 7 lost 5 away from home.

We have also won every home league game since November and won 19 of our last 24 games now iirc.

Let's not argue with each other over who's in better form, it's good for both our teams that we're playing so well

It looks like it could be one of the games of the season tbh, much better than City vs United looks in a few weeks time

Also, I'm guessing the not lost away this year stat doesn't include Europe or League Cup like mine doesn't include CL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    for me, 7 minimum from those 3 games. Absolutly no excuse for anything less.. cant loose at home to liverpool who are our dirrect top4 rivals, and the other two games, despite burley today, are easily winnable games if we turn up.
    Liverpool are a class outfit atm, 6 minimum but we can get 9 if we play well, I'm even starting to feel marginally confident about Tuesday too :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Call down pal, I was only quoting the stats I had seen, away form of played 13 won 7 lost 5 away from home.

We have also won every home league game since November and won 19 of our last 24 games now iirc.

Let's not argue with each other over who's in better form, it's good for both our teams that we're playing so well

It looks like it could be one of the games of the season tbh, much better than City vs United looks in a few weeks time

Also, I'm guessing the not lost away this year stat doesn't include Europe or League Cup like mine doesn't include CL?
    sorry, didn't mean to appear hostile, just pisses me off when people look at stats instead of logic

anybody including the first half of season and using it to predict our performances in the near future is either dumb or deluded (no offence).

i am not in any way saying i'm confident that we'll get anything from the emirates.
    what i am saying is that our league form is excellent both home and away, not to mention how our defence is MUCH more solid and our attack more cohesive since we last met.

we're in better form but not by much.
    you have the points on us and the home field advantage when we meet.

yeah, we're undefeated in the league this year
    our form in other competitions has been a little odd - too many draws in the cups and a horrible defeat in the CL.

most of the time you'll either focus solely on domestic league form or you'll include ALL matches.
    we seem to have a rhythm and focus in the league, we might slip up elsewhere but in the PL we aren't to be underestimated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    sorry, didn't mean to appear hostile, just pisses me off when people look at stats instead of logic

anybody including the first half of season and using it to predict our performances in the near future is either dumb or deluded (no offence).

i am not in any way saying i'm confident that we'll get anything from the emirates.
    what i am saying is that our league form is excellent both home and away, not to mention how our defence is MUCH more solid and our attack more cohesive since we last met.

we're in better form but not by much.
    you have the points on us and the home field advantage when we meet.

yeah, we're undefeated in the league this year
    our form in other competitions has been a little odd - too many draws in the cups and a horrible defeat in the CL.

most of the time you'll either focus solely on domestic league form or you'll include ALL matches.
    we seem to have a rhythm and focus in the league, we might slip up elsewhere but in the PL we aren't to be underestimated.
    Haha, it's cool, I hadn't looked at your away form in depth so didn't notice that all the losses were from last year. That being said, the away games this year have been against Palace, Soton, Villa and Sunderland. Bar So'ton you'd expect to win all those really, although obviously beating City, Soton and Tottenham is no mean feat no matter where you play them.

You can't put much weight on LC and EL matches, they mean jack **** really to a team going for top 4.

I'm half excited for when we play you, but half worried, if we win then top 4 should be all but wrapped up, if we lose then it gets a bit uncomfortable.

Still, Monaco on Tuesday, hopefully we can perform an Istanbul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I've been saying this for months, glad people are finally starting to agree.

City are awful and pretty much reliant on Silva or Aguero doing something to win. Their squad is full of ageing/average players on huge wages and the manager is obviously going to be sacked in the summer. Their spending has been appalling in the past 3 years. If United can sort themselves out over the next few games then who's to say City won't be the ones who miss out?
    Thing is their transfers for the 13/14 season worked a treat, but only for that season. It was literally signings that would win you a league title. Fernandinho plugged a gap, Negredo plugged a gap, Navas plugged a gap, it wasn't anything more than that. I feel City tried the same thing again but when you try to plug a gap and the gap gets bigger(i.e. the players start to age and performances from the big 3 players decline or they get injured) it ends up being hard to fill.

What City need to do is to find players who don't fill gaps instantly, but are viable solutions to their problems. That being the new Yaya Toure, the new David Silva, the new Vincent Kompany, the players who have won City games with regularity the past 4 or so years but are starting to age. Problem is they've left it too late.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, it's cool, I hadn't looked at your away form in depth so didn't notice that all the losses were from last year. That being said, the away games this year have been against Palace, Soton, Villa and Sunderland. Bar So'ton you'd expect to win all those really, although obviously beating City, Soton and Tottenham is no mean feat no matter where you play them.

You can't put much weight on LC and EL matches, they mean jack **** really to a team going for top 4.

I'm half excited for when we play you, but half worried, if we win then top 4 should be all but wrapped up, if we lose then it gets a bit uncomfortable.

Still, Monaco on Tuesday, hopefully we can perform an Istanbul
    oh i agree, our away matches haven't been against top teams but you still have to get through the game and get the points.
    not much more we can do except win.
    i would just say if you're gonna use stats about liverpool, try to take them from this half of the season because it's a much better predictor of our expected performance.

precisely; although the EL would've been nice and a domestic cup would be lovely, it's clear the the manager and players all know that top 4 is the primary objective.
    i think one thing in your favour is that you have united as a bit of a buffer.
    i can't see them finishing higher than you this season, so even if we overtake you it shouldn't be a problem.

i know ideally you want 2nd/3rd, but even 4th place is a CL spot and this season it seems to be more important than ever.
    united out of it for another year puts them in serious trouble because liverpool already have depth - once we start improving individual quality, things will get interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Thing is their transfers for the 13/14 season worked a treat, but only for that season. It was literally signings that would win you a league title. Fernandinho plugged a gap, Negredo plugged a gap, Navas plugged a gap, it wasn't anything more than that. I feel City tried the same thing again but when you try to plug a gap and the gap gets bigger(i.e. the players start to age and performances from the big 3 players decline or they get injured) it ends up being hard to fill.

What City need to do is to find players who don't fill gaps instantly, but are viable solutions to their problems. That being the new Yaya Toure, the new David Silva, the new Vincent Kompany, the players who have won City games with regularity the past 4 or so years but are starting to age. Problem is they've left it too late.
    A
    large number of their players are ageing and they don't have the financial set up to meet FFP whilst replacing them. If FIFA and UEFA are serious about fair play, then City will become insignificant in 3 or 4 years

ReputationRep:
    A
    large number of their players are ageing and they don't have the financial set up to meet FFP whilst replacing them. If FIFA and UEFA are serious about fair play, then City will become insignificant in 3 or 4 years
    Na they have ways to negate it.

The Lampard loan and the fact that the City group consists of 3 different clubs means that City can offload their debts to other parts of the company(i.e. New York City and Melbourne) and they can then use that as a means to balance the books.

It's a clear abuse of the system but oh well. They probably can only get so far with that though and just having the money to change the team isn't enough as City have a rebuilding job to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    oh i agree, our away matches haven't been against top teams but you still have to get through the game and get the points.
    not much more we can do except win.
    i would just say if you're gonna use stats about liverpool, try to take them from this half of the season because it's a much better predictor of our expected performance.

precisely; although the EL would've been nice and a domestic cup would be lovely, it's clear the the manager and players all know that top 4 is the primary objective.
    i think one thing in your favour is that you have united as a bit of a buffer.
    i can't see them finishing higher than you this season, so even if we overtake you it shouldn't be a problem.

i know ideally you want 2nd/3rd, but even 4th place is a CL spot and this season it seems to be more important than ever.
    united out of it for another year puts them in serious trouble because liverpool already have depth - once we start improving individual quality, things will get interesting.
    We really have to aim for 2nd now, if things go on the way they are going it could well be us 2nd and you 3rd (or potentially the other way round). If we weren't to get top 4 now we'd have to **** up massively.

Still, a city utd battle for that 4th place would be just :eek:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jam277)

Aguero looks fed up too so lets hope he gets a transfer back to Spain

They've got the same problem we've had/are having - the entire spine of their team needs replacing at the same time. Zabaleta seems to be on the decline too but instead of signing a young, up and coming RB like Danilo or Clyne they just signed a 32 year old on huge wages. Before that it was Maicon who again was a shadow of his former self. What is the sense in that? United get ripped to shreds for our spending, but spending £86m on Mangala, Fernando & Bony is worse than anything we've done.

They've got no youngsters to blood into the team and no HG players either. Missing out will break them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

(Original post by Lúcio)

liverpool 26
    arsenal 24
    chelsea 21
    spurs 20
    united 18
    soton 17
    city 15

• Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Fantastic win. I've always liked Flamini :ninja:

Lol @ City

Let's hope Spurs do us a tiny favour tomorrow

1 point behind second, tis a good day :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Fantastic win. I've always liked Flamini :ninja:

Lol @ City

Let's hope Spurs do us a tiny favour tomorrow

1 point behind second, tis a good day :cool:
    I think it would be good if Spurs draw with Man U

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    World class substitution imo.
    She said this when Wenger brought on Flamini and scored. Great post :rofl:

(Original post by al_94)
    Burnley have no chance they will probably lose around 5-0
    :flute:

ReputationRep:
    We really have to aim for 2nd now, if things go on the way they are going it could well be us 2nd and you 3rd (or potentially the other way round). If we weren't to get top 4 now we'd have to **** up massively.

Still, a city utd battle for that 4th place would be just :eek:
    i agree - looking forward is the way for you.
    finishing outside of top 4 looks very difficult although i'm sure you'll try your hardest to bottle it like the pros you are

4th place is the aim for us, not even thinking about anything higher just yet.
    like i said, CL next year is essential - we have a big squad but we're a little behind with individual quality
    if we can bring in some quality, that's when we can hopefully solidify a place inthe top 4 over the coming years.
    united will keep trying to spend their way out of trouble to we need to be ready when they eventually get it right.

(Original post by Arkasia)
    don't start you -_-
    i said stats instead of logic
    my stats are from recent form rather than from some random games last year when we were terrible anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

liverpool 26
    arsenal 24
    chelsea 21
    spurs 20
    united 18
    soton 17
    city 15

Yeah they have flopped but in h2h I would say they would beat UTD, Soton & Spurs.
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)

:flute:
    That's the beauty of football

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    i agree - looking forward is the way for you.
    finishing outside of top 4 looks very difficult although i'm sure you'll try your hardest to bottle it like the pros you are

4th place is the aim for us, not even thinking about anything higher just yet.
    like i said, CL next year is essential - we have a big squad but we're a little behind with individual quality
    if we can bring in some quality, that's when we can hopefully solidify a place inthe top 4 over the coming years.
    united will keep trying to spend their way out of trouble to we need to be ready when they eventually get it right.
    We're normally strong from here on out, the issue is that City losing and us beating United has caused a sense of complacency, but if you and United both win (which is pretty likely), then we're still only 3 points ahead of 5th.

I can see it quickly going back to the 4 horse race each year of old, once city stop being able to buy their way into top 4 and Spurs will be Spurs, leaving the current top 4 minus city plus you as the standard in 3 or 4 years

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.