The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHOO
Soooooooooooo when we were linked to Balotelli, he would have flopped

Now Liverpool have signed him & well.. Just go look LOL

I personally would have loved Balotelli coming to Arsenal. A 24 year old talent like that for £16m? Yes please.

Original post by AR_95
Ballotelli would have been good for us but he is not the answer to Giroud

Liverpool only bought him as back up to studge so you can't even laugh at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe not a back-up, he will likely get played in the same format as when they had Suarez, maybe a 4-3-3:

Sturridge - Balotelli - Sterling
Coutinho - Gerrard - Henderson

As a gooner that makes me very scared when we rely on Giroud and Sanogo.
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/features/talking-tactics-mesut-ozil-return-key-to-arsenal-avenging-everton.html

Adrian Clarke's tactics piece on Saturday's match. What do we think? Alexis up front with Ozil on the left seems a bit shaky. Watching Mesut on the wing at the World Cup showed me it's really not his position, but given Cazorla's weak performances I'd be tempted to go for some more pace with Campbell.
It's depressing looking back at the strikers we had just a few years ago then looking at now with Sanogo second choice. What happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone been following what Weston has been saying on twitter (used to be an agent to Gibbs and few others). Claims that sources are telling him that Sporting are considering offers for Carvalho: "likely to accept but other issues to resolve first".

He was an agent for almost three decades so you would assume there's a bit of substance there...
For a 25 man squad, I would retain:

Spoiler

That is 21, and for the other four spots I would buy 1 Striker, 1 CDM, 1 LB and 1 CB.

Get rid of:

Spoiler

Loan out:

Spoiler

Original post by little_tom
Anyone been following what Weston has been saying on twitter (used to be an agent to Gibbs and few others). Claims that sources are telling him that Sporting are considering offers for Carvalho: "likely to accept but other issues to resolve first".

He was an agent for almost three decades so you would assume there's a bit of substance there...

Other issues are probably either personal problems, no sufficient replacement in that position, or no guarantee of Champions League so far.
Original post by angelfox
Cavani news picking up again.

Indeed, talk for €40m + Giroud, if there is a God, please let this happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BenAssirati
Other issues are probably either personal problems, no sufficient replacement in that position, or no guarantee of Champions League so far.

They have bought replacements for Carvalho already: Rami Rabia and Uri Rosell.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by danielnkwocha
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/features/talking-tactics-mesut-ozil-return-key-to-arsenal-avenging-everton.html

Adrian Clarke's tactics piece on Saturday's match. What do we think? Alexis up front with Ozil on the left seems a bit shaky. Watching Mesut on the wing at the World Cup showed me it's really not his position, but given Cazorla's weak performances I'd be tempted to go for some more pace with Campbell.

Brilliant piece by Clarke, and I have been thinking Chambers in CDM would free up Mertesacker from having to push up to maintain a high-line, which in turn destroys us to counter attacks.

Is Gibbs definitely not match fit? I would put him in there any day over Monreal, but I guess he will do for now. I would swap Wilshere for Ozil next to Ramsey, and put Campbell in RW, swapping Ox over.

Chambo - Alexis - Campbell
Ozil - Ramsey
Chambers
Monreal - Koscielny - Mert - Debuchy
Szczesny
Original post by little_tom
They have bought replacements for Carvalho already: Rami Rabia and Uri Rosell.

In that case it is either personal issues or CL qualification. I expect Wenger to announce someone along the lines of Carvalho, Di Maria, a top striker once (if) we beat Besiktas, and I think Manolas is a done deal either way.
Original post by Peggles_*
Indeed, talk for €40m + Giroud, if there is a God, please let this happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ew, no. They need Cavani now that Ibra is injured, which will bump up the already exorbitant price. €40m + Giroud for Ibra and I will die of joy.
Last year was our realistic chance to win the title. Relying on Giroud as our main striker for 3 seasons in a row is pretty abysmal. Still haven't replaced RvP or Song ffs...
Ew, no. They need Cavani now that Ibra is injured, which will bump up the already exorbitant price. €40m + Giroud for Ibra and I will die of joy.

Which is exactly why Giroud could be included. His wife apparently wants to go back to France as well. He's French which increases his value to PSG.

Whether Wenger would do it is a different question.
Which is exactly why Giroud could be included. His wife apparently wants to go back to France as well. He's French which increases his value to PSG.

Whether Wenger would do it is a different question.

I agree he should be included, but for Cavani I would only go up to maybe 30m + Giroud. Ibra is so much better in that duo. Besides, Giroud is (painful to say it) a good option for 2nd choice or 3rd choice striker, so if we include him in a deal I would say we still need to go out and buy a decent 2nd striker, like what Liverpool did with Balotelli.
I agree he should be included, but for Cavani I would only go up to maybe 30m + Giroud. Ibra is so much better in that duo. Besides, Giroud is (painful to say it) a good option for 2nd choice or 3rd choice striker, so if we include him in a deal I would say we still need to go out and buy a decent 2nd striker, like what Liverpool did with Balotelli.

He's been playing out wide for PSG. He's so much better than Giroud. We should be trying to get rid of one of Giroud or Poldi in the deal.
He's been playing out wide for PSG. He's so much better than Giroud. We should be trying to get rid of one of Giroud or Poldi in the deal.

Cavani has been playing through the center just as much as Ibra. He may be called a 'winger', but when you watch him he scores almost all of his goals by running straight down the middle. He may be better than Giroud, but he simply is not good enough to rely on every game for 50+ games. I am saying that if we get him, we will still need a back-up striker.

I think Galatasaray are absolutely thirsting for Podolski, and Wenger told them they can have him for the right price (they wanted Campbell as well but he said no).
More of an issue is Sanogo is second choice. Completely useless. No idea how someone so awful can play for us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4657
You probably dodged a bullet with Balotelli.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Giroud plus money for Cavani, with PSG using the money to keep on the good side of FFP in buying a proper winger in Di Maria? Could happen...
Reply 4659
So hoping that we get a DM ... Hopefully carvalho I hope the CL qualification is the main reason for the delay recently... I prioritise DM over striker and I don't think we will get a striker.

Latest