ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Samus2)
    History, whilst it's a written subject, the education format is just difficult. And I hate Harvard referencing too so my referencing takes me ages!

How long does /it need to be?
    Ah, there's another CS student somewhere around here. Yeah, the education is weird because it's formal but personal and it's weird to hit the balance.

It needs to be anything below 3000 and I'm at 2800. The issue is what I've actually written is super reflective but not all that academic :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    You're computing too, right? I find moving from that very dry essay style to being all mushy and feely really really hard.

I've written 2500 since yesterday morning when I started and the essay is due at 4 today. I really don't help myself :/ I think the main issue really is time because there really isn't enough of it when juggling a full time job on top of the essays. I'm glad they put the deadline in half term but at the same time I've been prepping for the 9 new classes I pick up next week, plus the 5 others I'm already teaching. I need more days
    Yep time is definitely an issue. Are you working a full time job as well as the PGCE? That's insane!

Congrats on 2500 in 2 days I need to make progress like that! Finding it hard to be systematic about how I'm working right now though. Keep getting stuck.

ReputationRep:
    Gah, an ideal job has come up today. It is in a sixth form that I have been constantly checking hoping something would come up.

I'm definitely going to be applying, but I applied for another job last week which closed for applications today. If I end up getting an interview, and then say I got offered a place, that would all be before the other one shuts, and I'd be so gutted to miss out on an interview for my dream sixth form because I'd accepted a job elsewhere.

I know that sounds overly optimistic and I'm thinking ahead. There's just part of me that thinks it will be easier if I don't get an interview for the first job now, because the newly advertised job is everything I was waiting for :love: .
    Are essays the worst part of the course for everyone else? I just need to finish this one and then I only have to worry about my dissertation after this but I think I make a right meal of freaking out over them.

I think it's made worse because it's the exact same essay I wrote for my first essay except I'm looking at different standards so there's so much that I wish I could just lift and use over in this one too.

And having another look at how much I did for TS8 during placement 1 just makes me more pissed about getting a requires improvement for it. Nobody else understands why it was RI either.

*grumbles*
    I don't think you will find one person who says they like the essays :awesome: . I hate them. I hate having to focus on two things at once. I either want to focus on essays, or my teaching, not both .

ReputationRep:
    Ah, there's another CS student somewhere around here. Yeah, the education is weird because it's formal but personal and it's weird to hit the balance.

It needs to be anything below 3000 and I'm at 2800. The issue is what I've actually written is super reflective but not all that academic :/
    I'm finding the reflective/academic distinction really confusing! Most of our essays are supposed to be reflective, but at the same time we get criticised if we don't reference enough, but I don't understand how you can reference loads when it is a reflective piece.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm finding the reflective/academic distinction really confusing! Most of our essays are supposed to be reflective, but at the same time we get criticised if we don't reference enough, but I don't understand how you can reference loads when it is a reflective piece.
    I'm literally shoehorning academic stuff in that vaguely fits with what I'm doing. I don't think any of us really have time to research a theory before we get to put it into practice anyway. We can't exactly stop a session and be like "WAIT WAIT WAIT... I just need to go and check this book for how to respond to this exact situation!"

ReputationRep:
    I am in the process of filling out an application form for a job.

One section is 'Membership of organisations that are relevant to your application'.

I am really not sure what to put in here? Does this mean unions or something?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Yep time is definitely an issue. Are you working a full time job as well as the PGCE? That's insane!

Congrats on 2500 in 2 days I need to make progress like that! Finding it hard to be systematic about how I'm working right now though. Keep getting stuck.
    Nope, I meant the school hours I'm doing, plus part time stuff I'm involved in.

I'm hitting so many brick walls and struggling to get things done. I've just submitted my essay though so hopefully I can now get back to focusing on teaching. The worst that happens is I'll have to resubmit the damn thing!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I meant the school hours I'm doing, plus part time stuff I'm involved in.

I'm hitting so many brick walls and struggling to get things done. I've just submitted my essay though so hopefully I can now get back to focusing on teaching. The worst that happens is I'll have to resubmit the damn thing!
    Well, fingers crossed it won't come to that!

I'm really distracted now because someone mentioned jobs An hour later I realise I've wasted lots of time looking at ofsted reports and school websites! Oops!

ReputationRep:
    Gah, an ideal job has come up today. It is in a sixth form that I have been constantly checking hoping something would come up.

I'm definitely going to be applying, but I applied for another job last week which closed for applications today. If I end up getting an interview, and then say I got offered a place, that would all be before the other one shuts, and I'd be so gutted to miss out on an interview for my dream sixth form because I'd accepted a job elsewhere.

I know that sounds overly optimistic and I'm thinking ahead. There's just part of me that thinks it will be easier if I don't get an interview for the first job now, because the newly advertised job is everything I was waiting for :love: .
    Apply for the job. I was in a similar situation last year. I loved the school I was training at and knew the staff liked me. I'd applied for various roles when a job came up at my training school. I was desperate to get it. Spent ages on the application etc and in the meantime was offered an interview at another nice school in a v good area. I was really anxious about interviewing there first, but decided I would have to accept it if I was offered the position.

Then I also got invited to interview at another school via an NQT pool. I'd never heard of the school, area wasn't great, but I accepted anyway because although the lesson part of the interview was around the same time as the others, the main interview wasn't untill after both of the others. It was my safety net, really.

Anyway, ended up with 3 interviews over 4 days in one week. Didn't get the first one, but was pleased because I really wanted the one at my training school, but then I didn't get that either. I was devastated (no exaggeration - they had to send me home for the day when they told me).

But then I did get the third job and I swear it's because I taught the lesson before I had the interview at my favourite school. I was so relaxed because I wasn't invested in getting the job and taught what they said was an outstanding lesson, the likes of which they rarely saw from NQTs at interview.

i love the school now and am so glad I didn't get the one I wanted initially.

Keep your options open and apply for everything going - you never know what is around the corner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    I am in the process of filling out an application form for a job.

One section is 'Membership of organisations that are relevant to your application'.

I am really not sure what to put in here? Does this mean unions or something?
    Yes, it does. Best of luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    Well, fingers crossed it won't come to that!

I'm really distracted now because someone mentioned jobs An hour later I realise I've wasted lots of time looking at ofsted reports and school websites! Oops!
    I'm starting to really freak out that I haven't applied for any jobs yet but everyone else has them just falling into place. I think I really need to do what you're doing!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to really freak out that I haven't applied for any jobs yet but everyone else has them just falling into place. I think I really need to do what you're doing!
    Possibly! Nobody I know has got a job yet, so I think there aren't many in this area right now At the moment I'm too scared to apply to any but I might have to apply to one just to see if I can even get an interview!

ReputationRep:
    Possibly! Nobody I know has got a job yet, so I think there aren't many in this area right now At the moment I'm too scared to apply to any but I might have to apply to one just to see if I can even get an interview!

Sorry I scared you!

This is the first job I have applied for and is the only one that has come up in my area/ age range, so I wouldn't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Got my first big assignment back (a summative one that actually counts) and got 62. I'm pretty pleased with that, seeing as I just wanted the 50 to pass.

Quick question - do you lot put page numbers in your in text references (Harvard, I take it)?

(Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Apply for the job. I was in a similar situation last year. I loved the school I was training at and knew the staff liked me. I'd applied for various roles when a job came up at my training school. I was desperate to get it. Spent ages on the application etc and in the meantime was offered an interview at another nice school in a v good area. I was really anxious about interviewing there first, but decided I would have to accept it if I was offered the position.

Then I also got invited to interview at another school via an NQT pool. I'd never heard of the school, area wasn't great, but I accepted anyway because although the lesson part of the interview was around the same time as the others, the main interview wasn't untill after both of the others. It was my safety net, really.

Anyway, ended up with 3 interviews over 4 days in one week. Didn't get the first one, but was pleased because I really wanted the one at my training school, but then I didn't get that either. I was devastated (no exaggeration - they had to send me home for the day when they told me).

But then I did get the third job and I swear it's because I taught the lesson before I had the interview at my favourite school. I was so relaxed because I wasn't invested in getting the job and taught what they said was an outstanding lesson, the likes of which they rarely saw from NQTs at interview.

i love the school now and am so glad I didn't get the one I wanted initially.

Keep your options open and apply for everything going - you never know what is around the corner.
    Thanks for this info, very enlightening. I am definitely applying. It is just hard to juggle what comes up with what you really want, whilst at the same time being so unsure if you will get anything.

Glad you got sorted though! I can't imagine applying to my training school and not getting it. It seems like it would be awkward! You'd think from the school's point of view it would be beneficial to hire someone who was training there. At least it all worked out for you.

ReputationRep:
    Got my first big assignment back (a summative one that actually counts) and got 62. I'm pretty pleased with that, seeing as I just wanted the 50 to pass.

Quick question - do you lot put page numbers in your in text references (Harvard, I take it)?

Thanks for this info, very enlightening. I am definitely applying. It is just hard to juggle what comes up with what you really want, whilst at the same time being so unsure if you will get anything.

Glad you got sorted though! I can't imagine applying to my training school and not getting it. It seems like it would be awkward! You'd think from the school's point of view it would be beneficial to hire someone who was training there. At least it all worked out for you.
    Yeah I put page numbers, I use APA though.

ReputationRep:

i was pipped to the post by someone who'd already done part of her NQT year. Having now done half of mine I can totally see how her interview responses would have been superior to mine. The head and deputy basically had to defer to what the governor on the interview panel thought, because he didn't know me already. He did give them freedom to hire me straight away if another job had come up though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and a message to all - I started applying in February but didn't get a job or even any interviews until May, so don't panic if you're not applying for much yet. You've got plenty of time.

ReputationRep:

I used Harvard referencing for undergrad, only used page numbers for in-text citations when I was directly quoting someone.

ReputationRep:
    I used Harvard referencing for undergrad, only used page numbers for in-text citations when I was directly quoting someone.
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm a bit annoyed because my main uni tutor told us we didn't need to use page numbers (apart from direct quotations), so that's what I've been doing. On this latest essay, a different tutor marked it and said I'd have gotten higher marks if I would have referenced correctly and used page numbers. The only reason I didn't is because we were told we didn't have to! I think my uni has big problems with consistency sometimes.
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Yeah I put page numbers, I use APA though.
    Thanks for letting me know. I know nothing about APA, but I'll assume it is similar.

i was pipped to the post by someone who'd already done part of her NQT year. Having now done half of mine I can totally see how her interview responses would have been superior to mine. The head and deputy basically had to defer to what the governor on the interview panel thought, because he didn't know me already. He did give them freedom to hire me straight away if another job had come up though.
    Ah okay, that explains it. At least it wasn't another trainee!

Oh and a message to all - I started applying in February but didn't get a job or even any interviews until May, so don't panic if you're not applying for much yet. You've got plenty of time.
    ...and thanks for this. Very reassuring, because out of all my friends at uni there is only two of us (including me) who haven't got a job yet. My other three friends got their first interview. Very lucky. I've applied for a lot less than most though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm a bit annoyed because my main uni tutor told us we didn't need to use page numbers (apart from direct quotations), so that's what I've been doing. On this latest essay, a different tutor marked it and said I'd have gotten higher marks if I would have referenced correctly and used page numbers. The only reason I didn't is because we were told we didn't have to! I think my uni has big problems with consistency sometimes.

Thanks for letting me know. I know nothing about APA, but I'll assume it is similar.

Ah okay, that explains it. At least it wasn't another trainee!

...and thanks for this. Very reassuring, because out of all my friends at uni there is only two of us (including me) who haven't got a job yet. My other three friends got their first interview. Very lucky. I've applied for a lot less than most though.
    For Harvard you should use page numbers in text, unless you're referring to the whole text in general in which case you don't need them anywhere.

Cite them right is a book by palgrave which I've found invaluable when it comes to referencing. Many unis have it as a core text and use it for all their standards of marking referencing.

It is annoying that you were told wrong and it definitely shouldn't have happened. I'd consider challenging it if it were undergrad, but since you got 61 on a pgce I'd probably not bother!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.