The Student Room Group

what is a big thing for you but alot of people dont know it ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ilora-Danon
Answering the damn phone. I actually HATE it. It scares the life out of me.

Oh, and the fact that I'm genetically screwed up. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type III, Severe myopia, severe astimatism, IBS, Depression, Over pronating feet, whiplash and Social Anxiety.

What's Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type III?
I can't listen to people eating without feeling like I'm going to explode. Seriously, I have to cover my ears of I end up harming myself or the other person. Somehow I manage to hide it though... only my family really know about it.
Also, I can't eat vegetables without drinking squash at the same time to get rid of the taste. If I taste vegetables I just retch and choke for aaaaages. Another thing I've managed to hide.
But yeah, both of those things are kind of big for me because I have to be really careful what I eat and where (if there's an easy way to excuse myself) when dining in company!
Reply 42
Original post by DesignFreak
I do this! i quite enjoy it actually. beats being bored.
but i tend to have this imaginary life in my head that's so different to mine and just live it.
helps me escape

This. At the moment my mind is dominated by how I want my university life to be (more girls, better parties etc) .:redface:
Reply 43
My ''Girls of TSR photo collection'', over 100 photos of the finest clunge to have ever graced these forums.
Reply 44
I have mild OCD. The things I do are a little stupid, so I tend not to tell people about it. Things like I have to cross my fingers when walking past scaffolding, I have to take the 3rd slice of bread in from the loaf and I wash my hands quite a lot (not loads, just slightly more than average).

I'm also slightly allergic to alcohol. Drinking it automatically makes my face burn up and my hangovers last for days and involve serious limb pain!!

Nothing that impacts my life in a serious way though.. Just little things :smile:
Reply 45
I spend a lot of my free time writing - full blown novels, shorter stories, etc, but I have this thing about letting other people read it, not even my family. If my brother or someone comes over and looks at what I'm writing I close the word document. The thought of people I know reading my work terrifies me. I would (if I ever do) publish under a fake name just so people who know me wouldn't know it was me :ninja:

I also hate phoning people I don't know, I stutter and talk like an idiot. Bleh.
I have a real fear of getting people's names wrong. I can't use someone's name until I'm 100% sure it's their name, which often involves trying to sneakily trying to get them to confirm it to me multiple times.

Before facebook there were only a handful of people I used their name. Luckily fb let me confirm people's name so I can use it in future.

Also I can't watch people prepare my food with their hands, a left over from when I had a form of OCD which stopped me eating with my hands.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rachelkeira
I can't listen to people eating without feeling like I'm going to explode. Seriously, I have to cover my ears of I end up harming myself or the other person. Somehow I manage to hide it though... only my family really know about it.

I have this exact same problem. Makes it difficult when trying to eat with people :colondollar:
Reply 48
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
me too!! wow i thought i was the only strange one! :colondollar:

Its really horrible, I don't like any of those things but I'm really bad when it comes to making phonecalls. I can ring my mam, dad and sister but other than that I try my hardest not to phone anyone. I don't even phone my boyfriend if I don't really have to.

I don't think anyone other than my mam realises I have this problem. I have actually considered going to the doctors about it becasue it is starting to ruin parts of my life. I finally decided I wanted to learn to drive and have had the phone number of a friends dad whose a driving instructer in my phone for a few months now but I just can't bring myself to phone him and ask for lessons :frown:
I'm really getting sick of this problem.
xx

Same with the mum part, although i'm not sure she realises how anxious I get when I know some sort of task has to be done, I also used to dread stuff like school plays, giving a talk on a project infront of my class etc. Also my best friend always rings me, I think i've rang him like 3 times in 8 years :P

Original post by Blueflare
I have very elaborate stories that I imagine in my head. I imagine stuff from the points of view of several characters. I do the same scenes over and over again, think through entire conversations that can last, like, an hour. I think of the back-stories for all/most of the characters, think through random scenes from their pasts. It's like having a novel in there, only, with more information about a wider variety of stuff than a novel.

I'm not sure why I do this, but I always have done it.
It's just this massive part of my life that very few other people seem to experience. Most people don't even understand what I'm talking about: "so, it's like, a day-dream?" - no! The only people that do understand are the few people that do the same thing...

Hmm. I do imagine a random scenario sometimes in my head, but what I usually do is think about a situation that might arise at college, or a party or something and go through loads of situations that could happen. :biggrin:
Walking into a room full of people (the common room esp.). Makes me feel so anxious. Once I had to pick my brother up from one of his clubs, and when I realised all the parents were waiting in one room, I couldn't go in there. I just ridiculously stood outside in the freezing cold for half an hour.

Talking to people. If I haven't had a successful, engaging conversation with someone I feel like crying afterwards, really.

Music. Like a lot of people, i'm a bit obsessive over it. I listen to some modern music, but more 60s 70s 80s. I just don't like people knowing what I listen to (IRL), since I feel they can be so judgemental and i'll get the weird looks. Even if I have my earphones in, I can't listen to my music appreciatively when i'm out and about. It's like the intimacy between me and my music had been lost.
My penis.
Reply 51
A lot is 2 words.
I have webbed armpits.
Original post by Terpsikhore
I'm missing a kidney.

Not a problem in day-to-day life, so most people don't know. But it does cause some odd looks when a kickabout with friends turns into a ruthless and bloody game of dodgeball, and I end up charging round a field screaming "NOT MY BACK! DON'T HIT ME IN THE BACK! NOT MY BAAAAACK!"

Having broken my back over the summer, I have exactly the same problem. For some reason on a night out recently a drunk boy picked me up and was running around carrying me whilst I yelled "NO TONY, MY BACK!!! NOT MY BACK!! AIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!"
Not cool.
Original post by heartimplode
Walking into a room full of people (the common room esp.). Makes me feel so anxious. Once I had to pick my brother up from one of his clubs, and when I realised all the parents were waiting in one room, I couldn't go in there. I just ridiculously stood outside in the freezing cold for half an hour.

Talking to people. If I haven't had a successful, engaging conversation with someone I feel like crying afterwards, really.

Music. Like a lot of people, i'm a bit obsessive over it. I listen to some modern music, but more 60s 70s 80s. I just don't like people knowing what I listen to (IRL), since I feel they can be so judgemental and i'll get the weird looks. Even if I have my earphones in, I can't listen to my music appreciatively when i'm out and about. It's like the intimacy between me and my music had been lost.

This. It’s better if I walk in with someone but it’s still awkward. I’ve caused unnecessary trouble for myself too because I’ve refused to go into a room. Personally, being the first one in a room can be awkward too if you don’t know the second person who enters very well.

I also become quite conscious of the way I use my cutlery (and how I eat generally) when I’m eating out (which doesn’t happen very often TBH). I always think of myself as the slob everyone is noticing.

I rarely notice other peoples’ habits/quirks which is annoying because you think you are the only one who does/has these weird things. When I do notice them though, it can be quite endearing.
Reply 55
I'm missing a kidney.

Not a problem in day-to-day life, so most people don't know. But it does cause some odd looks when a kickabout with friends turns into a ruthless and bloody game of dodgeball, and I end up charging round a field screaming "NOT MY BACK! DON'T HIT ME IN THE BACK! NOT MY BAAAAACK!"

What is it about having one kidney that means you can't be hit in the back? I'm intrigued :smile:
I have numerous mental health problems and have very strong suicidal tendencies, and none of my friends know it.
You can't really just come out with "Oh yes I cut up my legs last night and then I finalised my suicide plans," I think most people would run a mile, or at least move the scissors out of the way.

But apart from that I'm fab :biggrin:
Original post by VioletEyes
What is it about having one kidney that means you can't be hit in the back? I'm intrigued :smile:

My remaining kidney has grown larger to compensate. That makes it bigger, heavier (...faster, stronger!) and more vulnerable to injury. So a heavy blow to the back or my right side could rupture it. And that would be bad. :smile:
I have health anxiety (or am a massive hyperchondriac, depending on how you look at it :tongue: )but it can be quite scary when i manage to convince myself i've got something seriously wrong with me! It sounds silly but there you go.

I'm also ridiculously insecure, and have to fake confidence to walk into a crowded room alone, or hang out/make conversation with people i don't know well...and i have no idea what my boyfriend sees in me, i genuinely don't :s-smilie:
Reply 59
My remaining kidney has grown larger to compensate. That makes it bigger, heavier (...faster, stronger!) and more vulnerable to injury. So a heavy blow to the back or my right side could rupture it. And that would be bad. :smile:

Ahh, that makes sense, the body really is a remarkable thing! Sorry for being nosy haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending