The Student Room Group

What's the problem with my relationship?

This might be long, my friend tells me my bf isn't it and needs to fix up. I'm going to rant about some issues we've had whether that be me or him, I'm going to include what his said I do wrong too.

Me and my bf have been togegeh 2 n half years, we've lived together for a year. The last year we've had the worst arguments not entirely sure what over. It could be over something so small like me suggesting to try do something a different way and him taking it as I'm telling him what to do and that his wrong and it turns into a big argument and i ask if he finds me controlling. I feel like he doesn't like being wrong n reacts badly. I then naturally go why are you getting annoyed to which this does annoy him, he says I gaslight him into being a certain emotion? I naturally ask are you annoyed because I notice a change of tone in voice. I came from a broken family always argeuing and I don't want to be like that the slightest change in tone I think what's wrong and he takes this as me gaslighting him and I get confused. I also seem to ask the same thing multiple times to which he gets so irritated by to the point it starts a argument when I don't even realise I'm doing it. For me I'm just clarifying details but to him the topic is finished and why are we still talking about it. I feel like he doesn't like to speak as much he feels like we speak alot I don't its like his done with a conversation way before me n doesnt ant to keep it going. I feel like if I go try get his attention he gets annoyed and just wants to play his games. His been unhappy alot, not where he wants to be in life hasn't got friends and he gets real moody and a bit mean to me which also caused arguments bc it was like I get ur sad but I'm literally being so nice so don't be mean. He admits his ways of dealing with sadness were not good. I'm sad too don't have many friends we live far from everyone and he forgets that I to am also not always OK. He says he wants me to open up but at the times I seem comfortable to his distracted by something n I don't fully open up about what's bothering me. Another issue is we barely met each others families, his not close to his but I am to mine despite dysfunctional and his not good at mingling or making an affort tbh, his gotten better but his got so annoyed at my family visiting our place b4 I get anxious when they are to meet now and he doesnr reassure me that his fine with them. We just seen to argue about very small things n there's things I say because I factual know its right n I'm not tryns be mean but he hates it. I can admit I'm wrong if I'm proven wrong but if I really think I'm right I'm gunna stick with what I think but idc if no one else agrees. The latest issue seems to be a question of if I'm controlling, he had his sheos on all day n I jokingly went why have u got ur shoes on like chill we at home r they not uncomfortable, I didn't care what he did but he then had a strop took his shoes off making out that I made him because I kept going on apparently. I then get sad cuz to me I would have just bantered joked but its like we don't see the same when it comes to making a joke or how things in the world work. I use to have to nag him to plan to do stuff, he was so not open with money which got hard living together bc tbh he was terrible with money and I got sad because I was getting nothing he'd blow his money on **** we'd do nothing and I'd be paying for shopping ect and hed never take me out, we met in lockdown and reintroducing him to the world was difficult ig he was anxious but theres still phases we jsur dont go out or im just begging to go out n getting sad. His better now and I've managed to get him to save money bc he would always moan about how do I have savings when he earns more than me, he did finally open up with money and being more fair and did get me to help him manage his money so it would last and so like we could do stuff together. That issue has been resolved mostly it just did prove a big hurdle living together.

We are moving cities togetehr now and we are calling it a fresh start. We work together and hate working togetehr so we are unsure if our issues arrise from that. We hate everything about our individual lives rn we aren't sure if the issues happen because our relationship is under threat or because we are just unhappy going insane not changing anything. At the end I love him he loves me we got a dog together we admit our doubts in our down periods but we never go as far to a break or break up.

Thoughts?
Reply 1

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
This might be long, my friend tells me my bf isn't it and needs to fix up. I'm going to rant about some issues we've had whether that be me or him, I'm going to include what his said I do wrong too.

Me and my bf have been togegeh 2 n half years, we've lived together for a year. The last year we've had the worst arguments not entirely sure what over. It could be over something so small like me suggesting to try do something a different way and him taking it as I'm telling him what to do and that his wrong and it turns into a big argument and i ask if he finds me controlling. I feel like he doesn't like being wrong n reacts badly. I then naturally go why are you getting annoyed to which this does annoy him, he says I gaslight him into being a certain emotion? I naturally ask are you annoyed because I notice a change of tone in voice. I came from a broken family always argeuing and I don't want to be like that the slightest change in tone I think what's wrong and he takes this as me gaslighting him and I get confused. I also seem to ask the same thing multiple times to which he gets so irritated by to the point it starts a argument when I don't even realise I'm doing it. For me I'm just clarifying details but to him the topic is finished and why are we still talking about it. I feel like he doesn't like to speak as much he feels like we speak alot I don't its like his done with a conversation way before me n doesnt ant to keep it going. I feel like if I go try get his attention he gets annoyed and just wants to play his games. His been unhappy alot, not where he wants to be in life hasn't got friends and he gets real moody and a bit mean to me which also caused arguments bc it was like I get ur sad but I'm literally being so nice so don't be mean. He admits his ways of dealing with sadness were not good. I'm sad too don't have many friends we live far from everyone and he forgets that I to am also not always OK. He says he wants me to open up but at the times I seem comfortable to his distracted by something n I don't fully open up about what's bothering me. Another issue is we barely met each others families, his not close to his but I am to mine despite dysfunctional and his not good at mingling or making an affort tbh, his gotten better but his got so annoyed at my family visiting our place b4 I get anxious when they are to meet now and he doesnr reassure me that his fine with them. We just seen to argue about very small things n there's things I say because I factual know its right n I'm not tryns be mean but he hates it. I can admit I'm wrong if I'm proven wrong but if I really think I'm right I'm gunna stick with what I think but idc if no one else agrees. The latest issue seems to be a question of if I'm controlling, he had his sheos on all day n I jokingly went why have u got ur shoes on like chill we at home r they not uncomfortable, I didn't care what he did but he then had a strop took his shoes off making out that I made him because I kept going on apparently. I then get sad cuz to me I would have just bantered joked but its like we don't see the same when it comes to making a joke or how things in the world work. I use to have to nag him to plan to do stuff, he was so not open with money which got hard living together bc tbh he was terrible with money and I got sad because I was getting nothing he'd blow his money on **** we'd do nothing and I'd be paying for shopping ect and hed never take me out, we met in lockdown and reintroducing him to the world was difficult ig he was anxious but theres still phases we jsur dont go out or im just begging to go out n getting sad. His better now and I've managed to get him to save money bc he would always moan about how do I have savings when he earns more than me, he did finally open up with money and being more fair and did get me to help him manage his money so it would last and so like we could do stuff together. That issue has been resolved mostly it just did prove a big hurdle living together.

We are moving cities togetehr now and we are calling it a fresh start. We work together and hate working togetehr so we are unsure if our issues arrise from that. We hate everything about our individual lives rn we aren't sure if the issues happen because our relationship is under threat or because we are just unhappy going insane not changing anything. At the end I love him he loves me we got a dog together we admit our doubts in our down periods but we never go as far to a break or break up.

Thoughts?

Honestly get rid of him
Reply 3
Original post by Diamond M
Honestly get rid of him

Does it really sound that bad?
Reply 4

Yes it does

Thoughts?

If you constantly argue over the littlest things, you don’t like working together and the relationship just isn’t the same as it once was, perhaps it has served its course and you need to break up. Neither of you sound happy, and it sounds like it is causing you more stress than enjoyment. It also seems like you’re incompatible in more ways than one.

Given that your connection isn’t very strong at the moment, I would also reconsider moving to a new place together when it’s likely that the same problems will follow you.
Reply 6

Yes. You haven't said a single positive thing and there's nothing that suggests any love between you and your boyfriend.

End it and move on, before you move and are stuck together in a strange place, having wasted more time and money on a dead relationship.
Reply 7
What about positive things?
What do you like about him? Does he say what he likes about you?
Reply 8
Original post by Kathy89
What about positive things?
What do you like about him? Does he say what he likes about you?

I realise I didn't give a great overview as there is positives. For once our intimacy and that connection has never once died or been stale. Arguments never last long in all honesty we never sleep mad at each other. His caring and affectionate treats me often, simple things like chocolates, flowers sweats I like. His introverted so although he doesn't treat me in big going out ways it's not that he simply doesn't. He brought me out of a depressive episode when we met and never made a big deal out of it which I appreciated but he also didn't ignore it. We both wanted a dog and we both treat him like a son he is our son. We are similar in ways of were not big going our drink people we prefer a joint and a takeaway. We can laugh and speak for hours when we do. Always eat dinner together, it's like a mutually agreed time that we always come togetehr he gets of his games I stop watching whatever crap I've got on. We've spoke about kids, how we'd sort finances, where we want to travel to in life. When we are good we are very happy, we're all each other has we don't have any friends alot of stuff I only do know I have him to do it with like going to the shops, a walk ect. We're happy with each other (when we're not argeuing) our individual lives aren't what we thought, we thought we'd have friends and have some time away from each other but we don't. I do think it's good to not be together 24/7 but we literally are, we work and live together and have no one else so it does but a strain. We are moving closer to whee I have friends and we can double date, and nearby my family. Liel I said he doesnt like his family and didn't want to move back to his area... we met in uni.

But yeah there's negatives but part of me things the reason is we live and work togegehr and you know its **** working with your bf his also my manager at work (we were same level before). But after all our issues we still love each other wanna work and think we both need to change jobs for one and try have social lives because we don't have lives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending