does anyone care to add any more?

I read these all the time:

I have a driving license (licence)
I go to school everyday (every day)
I'm better then you (than)
I won't effect your studies (affect)
I don't smoke anymore (any more)
Thankyou for your help (Thank you)

And of course, What uni's have you applied to? (unis)
is it a bad time to point out that your thread title is actually grammatically incorrect?

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/which-versus-that.aspx
Original post by supernova92
SOOO many people on facebook write "collage"
:lolwut: seriously, just wtf

I hate that, so many people write that on my facebook wall, I don't understand how they can spell it wrong as they probably see the word all the time (unless they're in 6th form).
I would expect that spelling from a 10 year old...

Also, surprised is often spelt wrong, a lot of people think it's 'suprised'... tbh, I thought it was that until I was in year 11 :colondollar:
I couldn't spell "Silhouette" for years. It was awful. But here are the most common spelling mistakes which drive me insane.

U instead of you (It's only 2 more letters, come on!)
Yea instead of yeah
tnite instead of tonight

Yeah, so I hate text-speak. It's so stupid!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
ahh I'm not usually bothered by spelling mistakes, like most of the ones mentioned in this thread I wouldn't give a second glance.

The only word I ever get annoyed by is 'lier' it just looks so wrong how can you not think 'wait...' hahah
I often see bigamy written as bigomy, probably because people think of the word bigot.

OK, often may be an exaggeration. But I saw it today and it pissed me off. :rolleyes:
Reply 46
Original post by NaturalDisaster
I couldn't spell "Silhouette" for years. It was awful. But here are the most common spelling mistakes which drive me insane.

U instead of you (It's only 2 more letters, come on!)
Yea instead of yeah
tnite instead of tonight

Yeah, so I hate text-speak. It's so stupid!

They're less spelling mistakes than they are contractions which are intentional rather than done in error. They can be irritating (I should add, "yh" is much more horrible than "yea"), but there's some purpose behind it.

I don't really mind spelling errors though... I mean, the whole idea of standardised spelling in English is relatively recent, so if people slip up here and there, never mind.
Reply 47
Original post by Superstar6318

Focused - Why oh why do people spell it as 'focussed?'

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/focused?rskey=maas0M&result=2#m_en_gb0993781

They spell it 'focussed' because it's in the dictionary as a permissible spelling variant of the word. There is nothing wrong with that spelling.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Original post by insertnamehere
Your/you're, their/there/they're, and lose/loose.

It's freaking annoying when people ask on these threads- "At what age did you loose your virginity?"
I keep thinking that it should have been tight if you were a virgin! (Yeah, I know.)

Also, 'should of' instead of 'should have'.

I've never understood why others just can't spell, I've never had a problem with it. I dunno, maybe these people never read many books from a young age? I just don't get it.
Original post by speedbird
It's actually spelt misspelt in Britain.

Ok. It's still one of the most commonly misspelled words.
there, their, your, you're.

ITS NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!!! ARRRRRRGGH. :P
I've never understood why others just can't spell, I've never had a problem with it. I dunno, maybe these people never read many books from a young age? I just don't get it.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I don't think they read much at all, or maybe not the right sort of books. And the worst part is that English is their first language. I could understand foreigners, but people butchering their mother-tongue (tounge according to them! :biggrin:) is just a shame.

And it's not that difficult either. These are basic words, not (insert uncommon word here).
I see ridiculous spelt "rediculous" so often I'm not sure whether its actually an internet meme that I don't know about.
Original post by insertnamehere
Yeah, I don't get it either. I don't think they read much at all, or maybe not the right sort of books. And the worst part is that English is their first language. I could understand foreigners, but people butchering their mother-tongue (tounge according to them! :biggrin:) is just a shame.

And it's not that difficult either. These are basic words, not (insert uncommon word here).

I know some foreigners who use better English than us, or at least attempt to use more highly descriptive and interesting words.
Reply 54
hospital for me

hospitol hostiple and so on and so forth and yet I want to work in one.
dont know why as i dont tend to have serious problems with many other spellings

and dare i say it from time to time i miss pronounce it too, probably due to i used to have speech difficulties as a child.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by S129439
Ok. It's still one of the most commonly misspelled words.

Correction: It's still one of the most commonly misspelt words. Misspelt is a better word to use than misspelled.
Reply 56
Recommended. I always get the urge to slot another 'c' in there.
Reply 57
Definitely is definitely a common one.
I know some foreigners who use better English than us, or at least attempt to use more highly descriptive and interesting words.

True, but sometimes you get those overzealous ones who barely use contractions and use odd words - 'I was so forlorn. It was not destined to occur!' You're used to reading these, but when I heard someone say this I blinked at them. Literally blinked at them. (*Almost starts a rant about misuse of 'literally'.*)
Reply 59
Correction: It's still one of the most commonly misspelt words. Misspelt is a better word to use than misspelled.

Original post by speedbird
It's actually spelt misspelt in Britain.

OH NO! I thought "misspelled" was simple past and "misspelt" was the past participle. grrrrrrrrrrrr lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending