The Student Room Group

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by im so academic
You do have a point, most of the ex-poly threads are started by the "one who goes to Cambridge for optometry". :h:

Ah, I've never said that. :wink:
i think it was TSR who got accepted into LSE for maths and then switched courses?
am i rite?
/stalker.
Reply 42
I don't really think that there are any unis that are truly bad. At the end of the day, all of these unis are providing an education in order to better a person in the long-run. Furthermore, it gives those who aren't necessarily as naturally clever as others a chance to study something that interests them and can benefit them in the long run. I mean yeah, you would be hard pushed to find an investment banker who graduated from Thames Valley University but one must also remember that these unis do a large number of courses that are highly beneficial to the UK such as nursing and optometry. I have a lot more respect for someone who studied Nursing at London South Bank than someone who studied Ancient History at Oxford. Perhaps a little odd given that I'm doing an English degree but that is still my opinion. :tongue:
Original post by SuperStarr1
Doesn't either Cambridge or Oxford give out EE offers? What about their students who achieve that? They shouldn't be allowed to study right?

Only at Christ's College Cambridge. I'm disgusted you can even compare a Matriculation offer from that college with a course with poor, poor entry requirements. Matriculation offers are for the VERY best of candidates and are only given to a 1/3 of candidates.

Even though, both of us probably know that those students are capable of achieving more, if they get EE at A level, according to you - they have failed.

No.

Here's where I'm going with this - just because someone got EE at A level doesn't mean they are doomed for life! They may have extenuating circumstances or various other things going on in their lives at the time. Also, entry requirements are an indication of interest in the subject NOT only academic ability!

No, but there is competition for university so if you don't get the grades, tough. There has to be a cut-off point somewhere. What if a student got UUU at A-level due to extenuating circumstances and applied for Oxbridge? Do you think that candidate would have a realistic chance of getting in? (No, you have to know the content knowledge, typically).

Sure, people have mitigating circumstances, but the university can't accommodate everyone.
Reply 44
Original post by Kerny
Oxford and Cambridge offers of EE are only given out to exceptional students in order to negate the pressures of exam stress.

But theoretically, someone could then decide to stop bothering and focus on other things that they may have to give up in a few months to cope with Oxbridge expectations for studying, just about EE grades ... then, according to some people, they'd be a waste of space.
Reply 45
Original post by ilickbatteries
Perhaps it's unpopular because it's bad :confused:

I think the 'bad' universities are either ones with a bad reputation or with no reputation at all.

Like Derby, it must be the most anonymous university in the country. You never hear of anything about it, good or bad.

There are numerous departments in this country which have good teaching and research, but still remain relatively unpopular
As well as academic requirements. Medicine is far more popular than Classics at Cambridge, yet they have the same standard offer.

I would argue, if a university is unpopular, why on earth does it exist? Why does that course exist?

If anything it. shows that the course is **** (otherwise why on earth would it be unpopular?). If a university has a significant amount of low-entry requirement courses, then yes, I constitute it as a bad university as it is a waste of money.

Oh come on, you and I both know that Cambridge and Oxford can be excepted from most general rules regarding these things.

Besides, Cambridge is so popular that they have to give out A*AA for everything, the sheer volume of applicants is unreal.
Reply 47
Original post by cybergrad
They used to or at least they were much better before their upgrade to university status. Polytechnics in other countries are doing an excellent job (like ours used to) because they don't pretend to be something they are not, they offer excellent vocational training unlike ours that suffer from lack of identity and purpose nowadays.

You do know that the polytechincs used to teach to degree level, do postgrad research etc... all that changed in '92 was they gained degree awarding power and changed the name over the door.
Perhaps it's unpopular because it's bad :confused:

I think the 'bad' universities are either ones with a bad reputation or with no reputation at all.

Like Derby, it must be the most anonymous university in the country. You never hear of anything about it, good or bad.

True. I mean, I didn't know half of the universities in this list even existed!
Original post by Kerny
There are numerous departments in this country which have good teaching and research, but still remain relatively unpopular

They must remain unpopular for a reason.

I don't know why, but there must be a reason. Perhaps sometimes it is their geographical location, mind.
Original post by Kerny
Oxford and Cambridge offers of EE are only given out to exceptional students in order to negate the pressures of exam stress.

I know that.

Still if those applicants got EE at A level, they have failed (according to that poster) - even though I know they are unlikely to achieve those grades. I was trying to say that just because someone 'achieved' EE at A level doesn't make them a bad candidate, basically. :smile: Anyway.. an E at A level is a pass (technically :tongue:)
Original post by TheSownRose
But theoretically, someone could then decide to stop bothering and focus on other things that they may have to give up in a few months to cope with Oxbridge expectations for studying, just about EE grades ... then, according to some people, they'd be a waste of space.

That doesn't make them a waste of space. I would love to meet a person who actually thought EE-offer holders for Christ's College Cambridge were a waste of space, really.

Get a grip, it's still an offer for Cambridge given to the very best of candidates.
Reply 52
I've heard the university of life is **** nowadays.
Reply 53
Original post by DesignFreak
i think it was TSR who got accepted into LSE for maths and then switched courses?
am i rite?
/stalker.

You are right, but that's not my point. I just find it curious that people can slate any university in the UK, considering that if you put in effort and don't just treat it like one long party, pretty much all of them are worth it.

I was wondering if someone could produce a convincing argument why one actually is a complete waste of time.
Oh come on, you and I both know that Cambridge and Oxford can be excepted from most general rules regarding these things.

Besides, Cambridge is so popular that they have to give out A*AA for everything, the sheer volume of applicants is unreal.

EXACTLY proving my point - standard offers are also representative of academic requirements, not just popularity.
Reply 55
That doesn't make them a waste of space. I would love to meet a person who actually thought EE-offer holders for Christ's College Cambridge were a waste of space, really.

Get a grip, it's still an offer for Cambridge given to the very best of candidates.

Wasn't my opinion. :wink:
Reply 56
Any reason why?

In a report by some education authority they looked at lots of courses that shouldn't be degree level (mickey mouse courses) like golf management, tourism and leisure.....
Derby was found to have the most "mickey mouse" courses so I naturally assume that its a **** University
Hull because it's in Hull
You are right, but that's not my point. I just find it curious that people can slate any university in the UK, considering that if you put in effort and don't just treat it like one long party, pretty much all of them are worth it.

I was wondering if someone could produce a convincing argument why one actually is a complete waste of time.

You do know that even if you convinced everyone on TSR to respect each university in the country, there are many people who do feel that certain universities are inferior, right?

It's called hierarchy. Evidently certain universities are better than others.
Reply 59
They must remain unpopular for a reason.

I don't know why, but there must be a reason. Perhaps sometimes it is their geographical location, mind.

1. Location, like you said
2. Prestige - Like how some people apply to mediocre departments at high-ranked universities
3. Poor advertising from the university/department

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending