The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Freshers week 2013 (Underage students)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crawflowr
This is also why Scottish universitys have 4 year degrees. The first year is usually broad based and designed to bring the students up to A level standard. English students with good A levels can skip this year.

Um, no. It isn't.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
Honestly cannot believe how my 18th is on the 14th September, ONE DAY after freshers week finishes :angry:
This thread is full of trollop. You will be served in the bar in the union, regardless of your age.
Original post by Bronco2012
This thread is full of trollop. You will be served in the bar in the union, regardless of your age.

Um, no. Not everyone will be served alcohol in a union bar regardless of age.

Fraz14
Honestly cannot believe how my 18th is on the 14th September, ONE DAY after freshers week finishes

You picked the wrong university :wink: A different one and your 18th would have fallen on the first day of freshers week!
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Um, no. Not everyone will be served alcohol in a union bar regardless of age.

You picked the wrong university :wink: A different one and your 18th would have fallen on the first day of freshers week!

I've seen it before, the "bouncers" will ID you, give you a wristband if over 18, and the bar staff will sell you regardless.
Original post by Bronco2012
I've seen it before, the "bouncers" will ID you, give you a wristband if over 18, and the bar staff will sell you regardless.

Well, I'm not doubting that you've seen that, but EUSA venues, in particular, are fairly tight on this during the first few weeks of the semester. I went for a drink in September a couple of years ago with a friend (both 23) where we removed our wristbands and had no end of grief (and it's something I've observed on other occasions). There's not a whole lot to stop over 18s buying drinks for under 18s, but I think it's pretty unusual for under 18s without wristbands to be served alcohol in EUSA venues.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Well, I'm not doubting that you've seen that, but EUSA venues, in particular, are fairly tight on this during the first few weeks of the semester. I went for a drink in September a couple of years ago with a friend (both 23) where we removed our wristbands and had no end of grief (and it's something I've observed on other occasions). There's not a whole lot to stop over 18s buying drinks for under 18s, but I think it's pretty unusual for under 18s without wristbands to be served alcohol in EUSA venues.

Not a word of a lie, I showed my REAL idea to a union bouncer and was given a wristband, on two occasions, when I was 17.
Reply 47
Original post by CarlyR
Not got my offer yet but I've applied to New Arthur Place, College Wynd and South Clerk Street :smile: you?

I'm in Meadow Court :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by xSarah9x
I'm in Meadow Court :smile:

Oh yeah that looked really nice :smile:
Reply 49
Think it's worthwhile getting a freshers week pass if you're going to be underage?
Reply 50
Hey girls, I was wondering what type of bag your going to use for uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by J0j012
Hey girls, I was wondering what type of bag your going to use for uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean like a satchel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Lol Fresher's Week? I just had my graduation!

Word of advice: Fresher's Week pass is way overrated.
Reply 53
Hello there : )
The closer freshers week is, the more scared I am : D I know nothing there either city nor people. A bit confused about everything. How you guys are feelin' about everything?
Reply 54
Sucks as I'm 17 till October -.-... But freshers with the venga boys? Gotta' be looking forward to that :wink:
Reply 55
Original post by Augustino
Hello there : )
The closer freshers week is, the more scared I am : D I know nothing there either city nor people. A bit confused about everything. How you guys are feelin' about everything?

Don't worry too much about it. It's important to remember that nobody will know anyone else in Fresher's Week, and most people won't know the city. Thousands of people all arrive looking to meet new people and make friends, so it's a great chance to do the same!
Maybe this has been asked before, I'm not really sure where to ask. Is it worth buying a Freshers Pass? Is it expensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Guys just to let you know im a freshers volunteer team leader :biggrin: so look out for me. And see you there ;D free condoms and sweets! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by megara
Guys just to let you know im a freshers volunteer team leader :biggrin: so look out for me. And see you there ;D free condoms and sweets! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

good to hear, that all is thought :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by EllieSaysHeya
Maybe this has been asked before, I'm not really sure where to ask. Is it worth buying a Freshers Pass? Is it expensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The pass costs £40. Have a look at this page: http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/freshers2013/ and you can see all the events that are taking place. Basically, if you look at all the events and are going to spend more than £40 pounds then the pass will save you money, if not it might not be worth it.

Personally I will probably get one regardless since the things that I absolutely want to do are not much less than £40 and I feel like the little extra I would pay is worth it given that I will be able to decide on other things once I'm there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending