The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Finance Entry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
any of you guys who got an offer heard anything from the gates scholarship? (if you applied??)
Reply 41
Hey guys,

I received my conditional offer as well! :biggrin:
It says I need to attend the pre-sessional course in September.
Reply 42
Hey,

Also got a cond. offer. I need to achieve a first equivalent (Switzerland)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by casusa
Congratulations :smile: I saw your strong profile on another thread and that you allready have quite a few offers, do you know which one you are going to choose?

At the moment I only hold an offer from Imperial for Investment and Wealth Management because they rejected me for M.Sc Finance and so did LSE. I let the Warwick offer pass beyond the deposit deadline so I'm definitely accepting the Cambridge offer.
Reply 44
Thanks! I applied in December.

I am also very interested in LSE MSc Finance and Eco (I have an offer). I dont know which one to choose.. Any recommendation?
Reply 45
Original post by spritch
Thanks! I applied in December.

I am also very interested in LSE MSc Finance and Eco (I have an offer). I dont know which one to choose.. Any recommendation?

I have an offer for lse as well. It depends on what you want to do: LSE is much better for the economics side, but if you take all the quant options, the Finance Mphil is more mathematical.

I want to do an economics or finance phd so will probably go to LSE even if it is more expensive.

If you want to get a job in the city I think both will be fine (and you will have to apply before you even start, so the contents of the master really make little difference )
Reply 46
Thanks for the advice! After, I want to do a finance phd (if I get a first) or otherwise work as quant. analyst in a bank/ insurance.

Both programs have very interesting courses. Hard choice..

My background:
- Bachelor in Economics, University of St. Gallen (5.75/6.00)
- Currently working as a research assistant + 1 internship in an insurance company
- GRE 160 169 3.5

I did not apply to the MPhil F&E because of my low score, 3.5 :frown:, in the analytic part of the GRE..
Reply 47
Original post by spritch
Thanks for the advice! After, I want to do a finance phd (if I get a first) or otherwise work as quant. analyst in a bank/ insurance.

My background:
- Currently working as a research assistant + 1 internship in an insurance company
- GRE 160 169 3.5

I did not apply to the MPhil F&E because of my low score, 3.5 :frown:, in the analytic part of the GRE..

Around when did you apply?
Reply 48
I really didn't get why they don't inform the people that they are on hold like I have heard from other people they do in the the MPhil F&E program.
Reply 49
Original post by makesure
I really didn't get why they don't inform the people that they are on hold like I have heard from other people they do in the the MPhil F&E program.

cant agree more
Reply 50
Original post by spritch

My background:
- GRE 160 169 3.5

Research assistant with a professor? in what field?

for quant work I think the mphil is better in terms of courses

but really you need a lot of maths, it is hard to acquire that + programming skills in 1 year, and you will have interviews before december...there are a lot of maths phds struggling to get quant positions... I wouldn't count on getting one good position.

If you are sure you want to stay in finance for phd (instead of economics) then I would say go for the cambridge mphil, especially if you want to stay in the UK.
Reply 51
Original post by astroturf
Research assistant with a professor? in what field?

for quant work I think the mphil is better in terms of courses

but really you need a lot of maths, it is hard to acquire that + programming skills in 1 year, and you will have interviews before december...there are a lot of maths phds struggling to get quant positions... I wouldn't count on getting one good position.

If you are sure you want to stay in finance for phd (instead of economics) then I would say go for the cambridge mphil, especially if you want to stay in the UK.

Thanks for your comments! Very helpful. I didn't know the competition was that high for quant. positions. I have some knowledge in C/C++ but maybe not enough experience because I usually code with Matlab or R.

Yes I work for a professor, in the faculty of mathematics and statistics. I do mainly research on variance risk premia.
Reply 52
Original post by spritch
Thanks for your comments! Very helpful. I didn't know the competition was that high for quant. positions. I have some knowledge in C/C++ but maybe not enough experience because I usually code with Matlab or R.

Yes I work for a professor, in the faculty of mathematics and statistics. I do mainly research on variance risk premia.

Well, if you have some experience with Stochastic calculus already then maybe you could have a shot at quant positions.
The RA position will definitely help with PhDs though!

just one final comment: from my limited experience with quant recruiting (I interviewed with 2 of the big american banks, think GS/MS/JPM and know some people who ended up working there) the Judge business school doesn't have a very good reputation (then again, it might just be true for my data points) on the other hand Part III of the maths Tripos is considered the golden standard when it comes to masters. I would recommend trying to take as many maths modules as possible if you end up in cambridge, and stressing the fact you are doing so in your applications!!
I got accepted by JBS a few days ago, for a different MPhil though. For my course, the application deadline was Feb 15, I got accepted 3 days after that. I think - with few exceptions - JBS usually waits until after the deadline (if it is in Feb/Mar) to give out offers. Good luck to everyone anyway, hopefully see you there in the fall :smile:

Edit: OK, I'm taking that theory back, just read the rest of the thread and saw that there were plenty of offers coming in before the 1st of March :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by astroturf

just one final comment: from my limited experience with quant recruiting (I interviewed with 2 of the big american banks, think GS/MS/JPM and know some people who ended up working there) the Judge business school doesn't have a very good reputation (then again, it might just be true for my data points) on the other hand Part III of the maths Tripos is considered the golden standard when it comes to masters. I would recommend trying to take as many maths modules as possible if you end up in cambridge, and stressing the fact you are doing so in your applications!!

Do you mean that JBS has a bad reputation in general in the private sector or are you just referring to quant positions?
Reply 55
Original post by catharina91
Do you mean that JBS has a bad reputation in general in the private sector or are you just referring to quant positions?

the only experience I have is with top investment banks and quant / trading positions!
Reply 56
Anyone know if you can submit the application before the deadline, and wait until after the deadline to send off the academic references?

Also, what does it mean "will you be employed 40% by the University?" (or along those lines)
Reply 57
Original post by catharina91
I got accepted by JBS a few days ago, for a different MPhil though. For my course, the application deadline was Feb 15, I got accepted 3 days after that. I think - with few exceptions - JBS usually waits until after the deadline (if it is in Feb/Mar) to give out offers. Good luck to everyone anyway, hopefully see you there in the fall :smile:

Edit: OK, I'm taking that theory back, just read the rest of the thread and saw that there were plenty of offers coming in before the 1st of March :wink:

When did you send your application off?
Original post by f1 boss
When did you send your application off?

December 1st!

I was interviewed the last week of January, accepted 2 weeks later.
Reply 59

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending