Turn on thread page Beta

Is dressing up as a Native American really that offensive? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SterlingArcher)
    Maybe you don't have any traditions or culture you want respected.
    We're white. We are not allowed to have our own exclusive traditions and cultures anymore, lest we be branded "racist" or "white supremacist".

ReputationRep:
    No-one complained or claimed 'offence'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darelz)
    Is the event the UNIQ Oxford summer school BOP? Ya, I expected as much, universities tend to be very PC to protect their reputation. I think it's stupid, the majority of most cultures don't mind if you dress up as something from their culture, since you obviously don't mean offence. In fact you could argue it helps cultures understand one another. But it's not worth kicking up a fuss about tbh, you probably want to leave a good impression. So my advice would be to not go as a Native American, even though you might not believe it's wrong.
    Yes it is! Have you been on the programme?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I had a conversation with a Native American family that lives on my road, and they said they don't give a **** about costumes like that.

(Original post by Alexion)
    I wish I were a girl just so I could wear a kimono tbh :emo:
    Nothing's stopping you :ahee:

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Has anybody actually bothered to ask the ancestors of native Americans their opinion? Their opinion should be respected as authority of this matter surely?
    Since

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I wish I were a girl just so I could wear a kimono tbh :emo:
    I thought men could wear kimono, though?

ReputationRep:
    Jeez people get triggered over ****ing anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.c.d)
    Since
    Since the European immigrants slaughtered the native tribes of america en masse and stole their land?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Yes it is! Have you been on the programme?
    No, but I'm going tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    who cares? when americans do a british accent, for instance, whether or not it's offensive means nothing - just laugh along with it because really there's nothing you can do. don't get on the buzzfeed "fashionably offended" bandwagon.

ReputationRep:
    I may be able to help you here, the problem is that the traditional image of the Indian is one that involves spiritualism and forms of symbolism of beliefs so wanting to look that way is in a way mocking the tribal Indian religious image though the American native Indian spirituality is not one of conventional religion though religion all the same without Christ in its original form and people who follow the tribal Indian belief often make a lifetime decision and stay that way, in addition to this further to what I said and with even greater significance the unnoticed genocide of the First Nations American Indians from North America to South West America and the South Americas is an even great atrocity than the fascist regime of WWII, the Indian genocide claimed over 100,000,000 tribal Indian lives from the 14th century to the 18th century so it is not hard for you to see how the Indian costume at a party can be seen as offensive, I suggest you try the cowboy image with an arrow through his hat?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.