The Student Room Group

Is dressing up as a Native American really that offensive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darelz
Is the event the UNIQ Oxford summer school BOP? Ya, I expected as much, universities tend to be very PC to protect their reputation. I think it's stupid, the majority of most cultures don't mind if you dress up as something from their culture, since you obviously don't mean offence. In fact you could argue it helps cultures understand one another. But it's not worth kicking up a fuss about tbh, you probably want to leave a good impression. So my advice would be to not go as a Native American, even though you might not believe it's wrong.

Yes it is! Have you been on the programme?
Reply 41
Since
Original post by Alexion
I wish I were a girl just so I could wear a kimono tbh :emo:
I thought men could wear kimono, though?
Jeez people get triggered over ****ing anything.
Original post by S.c.d
Since

Since the European immigrants slaughtered the native tribes of america en masse and stole their land?
[video="youtube;frX69E9pkf8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frX69E9pkf8[/video]
Reply 46
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Yes it is! Have you been on the programme?

No, but I'm going tomorrow!
who cares? when americans do a british accent, for instance, whether or not it's offensive means nothing - just laugh along with it because really there's nothing you can do. don't get on the buzzfeed "fashionably offended" bandwagon.
(edited 7 years ago)
I may be able to help you here, the problem is that the traditional image of the Indian is one that involves spiritualism and forms of symbolism of beliefs so wanting to look that way is in a way mocking the tribal Indian religious image though the American native Indian spirituality is not one of conventional religion though religion all the same without Christ in its original form and people who follow the tribal Indian belief often make a lifetime decision and stay that way, in addition to this further to what I said and with even greater significance the unnoticed genocide of the First Nations American Indians from North America to South West America and the South Americas is an even great atrocity than the fascist regime of WWII, the Indian genocide claimed over 100,000,000 tribal Indian lives from the 14th century to the 18th century so it is not hard for you to see how the Indian costume at a party can be seen as offensive, I suggest you try the cowboy image with an arrow through his hat?

Quick Reply

Latest