Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.name)
    And you have a grand time continuing to talk like a prostitute.
    HUNKNEE! NO NEED to go persnal about ur mum here xo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    It's widely accepted that A levels were at their easiest during the noughties (2000's), and it got so ridiculous that they made it harder in the 2008 change of specification, with it getting increasingly (but only slightly) year on year.

If you compare a 2016 maths or chemistry A level paper with a 2005 paper, you would clearly see that it is currently much harder than back then, when it was just stupidly easy.

Still doesn't compare to the 70s and 80s though, those were really hard.
    thank yiu!

ReputationRep:
    There is an obvious reason for this. Each year of a specification the exam becomes harder as students have had more past papers to learn/practice... ethically this is wrong, but unless we change the specification every year and do away with past papers this will keep being the case

(Original post by mass_)
    TBH i get the fact that wording these days may be a little bit of an issue during cses because gcse content it pretty godamn easy but at alevel it really angers me that they use confusing and timeconsuming wording and 'scenarios', its stupid because these exam boards know their demographics and know that majority of its students doing science based subjects will be applying for quite academic and prestigious degrees which are often health care related, this is stupid because the wording often costs us marks when out actual scientific knowledge is completlely acceptable :/ its stupid because in the real world and in your career its not very like you'll be tested in such a scrutinising mannerism
    I agree with your argument.

On the bright side, we are the first year being tested and the grade boundaries have been adjusted for this purpose. I find it normal to struggle in this 'science related scenarios' because it was not tested before and it is a difficult skill to gain. It is frustrating though. It appeared more often in Biology which had a lot of content to cover.

ReputationRep:
    good
    they should be made even harder. not every university will be asking for AAA then

ReputationRep:
    OCR Biology and Chemistry is definitely a lot harder than what it was say 10 years ago. I've looked at the different papers and have definitely noticed a difference in difficulty.

Now, from what I've noticed, there seems to be more emphasis on application of knowledge rather than recall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulkybros100)
    OCR Biology and Chemistry is definitely a lot harder than what it was say 10 years ago. I've looked at the different papers and have definitely noticed a difference in difficulty.

Now, from what I've noticed, there seems to be more emphasis on application of knowledge rather than recall.
    so true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mass_)
    JUSTIFY YOUR OPINION PLEASE, results day is around the corner so I need a good laugh anyway hunny xo
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    OMG LIKE GET OFF MY CASE, results day is around the corner so I cant deal with this hunny xo
    (Original post by mass_)
    FAM GOOD LUCK WITH getting ur results for exams that u think are easy , thanks for the laugh hunny xo
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    KOOL FANKS BRO FOR that comment , thanx for the thanx hunny xo
    Thanks to you both for the entertainment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozmo19)
    hehe just a bit of sly banta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mass_)
    hehe just a bit of sly banta
    Really sly yeah, all caps lol At least i feel a little calmer about tomorrow now though haha

ReputationRep:
    Really sly yeah, all caps lol At least i feel a little calmer about tomorrow now though haha
    Hope you do well and if you dont get the grades you wanted, please dont worry! Just be ready to get yo ass on the clearing line and get your numbers etc fixed! best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mass_)
    Hope you do well and if you dont get the grades you wanted, please dont worry! Just be ready to get yo ass on the clearing line and get your numbers etc fixed! best of luck x
    Im just getting AS this year but thank you so much!! Ill be prepared for next year...

ReputationRep:
    WJEC maths exams have been getting harder and slightly longer for a few years now! I wish I did my maths A level in 2005 because damn those papers were great

ReputationRep:
    Lol edexcel maths papers havent changed that much since the 1990s. I have seen aqa chemistry and physics past papers from early 2000s and theyre 80% similiar to exam papers now.

They have not gotten harder, youve gone dumber. Sorry but thats th truth.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Who cares, if they've gotten harder the grade boundaries are lowered so it's the same proportion of students getting As Bs and all the other grades as there were last year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.