The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lavender26
Obviously not all of them 😂
But these are taken off the specification and haven't been directly asked before so there's a good chance!
There are clearly more likely questions for each unit such as the plate tectonic theory 40m, but I've added these so there is no element of surprise on Thursday so we can all achieve the a*, as last year I got full UMS using this method and thought it would be nice to share...
I haven't included the very likely questions which have been asked before, because you can just look at the mark scheme for answers instead of us trying to work out a model answer together :smile:

(Just realised the grammatical mistake in my reply omg) ooh right okay! I just practiced the second ecosystem question :tongue: These all look a bit eh to me. It would be great if we could all try and answers these! :biggrin: also, I suppose that tectonic essay is quite likely actually because they haven't asked a volcano and EQ question in a while
Original post by Hesterrose
anyone answered this 10 marker before
'referring to examples, discuss the impacts of new markets and new technologies on global economic growthin the 21st century' t
he mark scheme isn't very helpful so I really don't know what to discuss?!

Came up last year won't come up again
Original post by JgR1997
I thought Iceland was located on the mid Atlantic ridge where the plates are diverging and over time volcanic rock has accumulated and spelled out to form an island (Iceland)
You could use Hawaiian islands as an example of islands formed from a hot spot, I think they are although not entirely sure

I haven't learnt them as a case study so I would only be able to mention their name. So for this essay surely you need 2 in-depth case studies, if so docent one need to be for and one against the statement ?
Reply 603
I heard someone say there could be a question along the lines of 'outline and explain the development continuum' for D&G. How would you go about answering this for 8/10 marks?? Also, does anyone know if they can ask just on international conflict for the conflict 40 marker?

Thanks!
Can we all tackle this?

'Explain Planning and management issues using Contrasting case studies within countries at different levels of economic development to demonstrate the above'
Reply 605
Original post by yoMilkSheikh
What's your prediction for 25 markers for tectonics then?

Seismic activity (or waves)/tsunamis/plate tectonic theory
Reply 606
Original post by maryox
What sort of case studies and points do you include for decentralisation of retailing? Thanks

You pretty much need out of town retail centres
I have Merry Hill in the West Midlands with Dudley being negatively affected and Solihull being positively affected (by building and developing Touchwood, their own centralised shopping/Leisure centre).
I also have Bluewater and Lakeside near London as an example where OOTRCs haven't really had any effect.

If it was to come up as the essay (which im praying it does) my running theme throughout is that OOTRCs do have an effect on local towns/cities but this effect is dependent on various factors (population, proximity etc.) and then i would talk about OOTRCs being a recent phenomenon in my conclusion along with the potential for it to backfire into something good (like Solihull).
Ecosystems
"Outline the structure/nature of an Eco-system"
'Outline The relationships between human activity, biodiversity and sustainability
Suggest and explain changes on the rural urban fringe

World cities
'Explain Planning and management issues using Contrasting case studies within countries at different levels of economic development to demonstrate the above'
Suggest how partnership schemes between the local and national government have reduced urban decline
Outline and explain reasons for The global pattern: millionaire cities, mega cities and world cities.
D and G
Outline and explain reasons for Growth in the 21st century the impact of new markets and new technologies (for example in Brazil, Russia and oil-producing countries
Outline The concept of the North/South divide, and its relationship to the development continuum
Explain how factors and dimensions: owsof capital, labour, products and services; global marketing; patterns of production, distribution and consumption have aided globalisation
“Economic sustainability versus environmental sustainability- discuss
“Sustainable tourism, myth or reality”.-discuss

Tectonics 40- compare and contrast the nature of volcanic hazards with seismic hazards

They questions are taken directly off the specification and are highly likely to come up next week.
If you plan or answer one please post the answer on here so we can work through the questions together.
I would really like someone to answer the first ecosystems question, the first wc question and first d and g question please!
Hope these help you guys!
Good luck!

I suppose for the structure/ nature of an ecosystem you would define what an ecosystem is and maybe discuss energy and nutrient flows?
Would anyone be able to outline the atmospheric heat budget? My notes are baaaaad
Is it likely that retailing will come up as a 40 marker because it came up as a 10 marker last year?
I hope sustainability comes up as the 40 marker
Obviously not all of them 😂
But these are taken off the specification and haven't been directly asked before so there's a good chance!
There are clearly more likely questions for each unit such as the plate tectonic theory 40m, but I've added these so there is no element of surprise on Thursday so we can all achieve the a*, as last year I got full UMS using this method and thought it would be nice to share...
I haven't included the very likely questions which have been asked before, because you can just look at the mark scheme for answers instead of us trying to work out a model answer together :smile:

Doesanyone perhaps have idea about the ecosystem 40 marker could be and the short answer tectonics! that would be super helpful if people could let me know !! thanks :smile:
How would you answer this essay?:

compare and contrast the nature of volcanic hazards with seismic hazards
Suggest how partnership schemes between local and national government basically can up last year? So I wouldn't bother doing that, I would concebtrate on retail not urban decline
Original post by Atomicmat
Can we all tackle this?

for my notes we have the generic point such as upgrading self help etc and then I have chennai in india which is a combination of site and service and upgrading and Brasilia in Brazil which classified as new towns. as Brazil is technically more developed I would draw on that. it is hard as MEDC have already urbanised so it is hard to have contrasting CS. Hope this helps :smile:

as a 40 marker?

Intro - Define Vulcanism, define seismicity, define hazards. Briefly introduce your case studies

Main body -
Para 1 - case study 1 eruption characteristics (what were the hazards?) how did this impact the area?

Para 2 - case study 1 earthquake characteristics (what were the hazards?) how did this impact the area? How did this differ from the volcano? Was it more/less severe?

Repeat structure for each case study you have

Personally, I'd compare an ledc earthquake with and ledc eruption then medc earthquake vs medc eruption. This way you can clearly state that the impacts are due to the hazards rather than the level of economic development and management

Posted from TSR Mobile
What can you talk about in a sustainability 40 markers for world cities? I am very confused :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predictions for world cities - 25 marks and 40 mark essay would be fab!
Also, any predictions for plate tectonics, conflict and weather and climate?
Hey everyone! :smile:
Would anybody be willing to share notes/case studies on improvement of squatter settlements with me? I've heard people saying we need a case study but I am 100% sure that we never went through anything like that in lessons.
I'm willing to do a trade, if you'd prefer! I've done world cities, plate tectonics, and weather & climate (aiming for an A* by the way so decent case study quality guarantee (I hope))
Reply 619
Ecosystems
"Outline the structure/nature of an Eco-system"
'Outline The relationships between human activity, biodiversity and sustainability
Suggest and explain changes on the rural urban fringe

World cities
Suggest how partnership schemes between the local and national government have reduced urban decline
Outline and explain reasons for The global pattern: millionaire cities, mega cities and world cities.
D and G
Outline and explain reasons for Growth in the 21st century the impact of new markets and new technologies (for example in Brazil, Russia and oil-producing countries
Outline The concept of the North/South divide, and its relationship to the development continuum
Explain how factors and dimensions: owsof capital, labour, products and services; global marketing; patterns of production, distribution and consumption have aided globalisation
“Economic sustainability versus environmental sustainability- discuss
“Sustainable tourism, myth or reality”.-discuss

Tectonics 40- compare and contrast the nature of volcanic hazards with seismic hazards

They questions are taken directly off the specification and are highly likely to come up next week.
If you plan or answer one please post the answer on here so we can work through the questions together.
I would really like someone to answer the first ecosystems question, the first wc question and first d and g question please!
Hope these help you guys!
Good luck!

Is this for 40 markers? Or short?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending