This discussion is closed.
han55
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rz_22)
Thank you so so much!
Pr and Pfr are the photoreceptors in the plant that detect light.
Pr absorbs red light and Pfr absorbs far red light
When one form of the pigment absorbs light, it is concerted reversibly to the other form.
These phytochromes enable the plant to respond to changes in day length.

I don't get how this links in with the tropism stuff or are supposed to revise them as two different things?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i have never heard of any of that oh my, to my knowledge, it hasn't come up in any past papers?
Rz_22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by haniie219)
i have never heard of any of that oh my, to my knowledge, it hasn't come up in any past papers?
It has come up in January 2011 paper- the question about day lengths and detection of environmental cues :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
corrgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rz_22)
It is on the specification 'explain how genes can be switched on and off by DNA transcription factors including hormones'

Do you want me to explain each of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes please but aren't they enhancement drugs how do they link in with transcription factors? :P thankyou
Rz_22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by corrgeorgia)
Yes please but aren't they enhancement drugs how do they link in with transcription factors? :P thankyou
So anabolic steroids are similar in structure to the male testosterone hormone. They bind with the receptors on the cell surface membrane. This complex then enters the cell and enters the nucleus. This acts as a transcription factor switching on particular genes linked to protein synthesis. This means that the mRNA formed is different and so when it is translated different proteins result. These proteins mean that bigger and stronger muscles result.

Erythropoietin: peptide hormone which binds to the cell surface membrane receptor. This activates a second messenger inside the cell which triggers a protein kinase cascade and the final product enters the nucleus acting as a transcription factor. This switches on particular genes related to the synthesis of enzymes to make more red blood cells. More red blood cells mean oxygen can be carried more efficiently but this makes the blood thick so it can lead to strokes and heart attacks due to the blood clotting

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
han55
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rz_22)
It has come up in January 2011 paper- the question about day lengths and detection of environmental cues :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh goodness, i better try and learn it then :/
han55
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone have notes on the spirometer experiment? My teacher forgot to do it :/ i have no idea what it is.
corrgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rz_22)
So anabolic steroids are similar in structure to the male testosterone hormone. They bind with the receptors on the cell surface membrane. This complex then enters the cell and enters the nucleus. This acts as a transcription factor switching on particular genes linked to protein synthesis. This means that the mRNA formed is different and so when it is translated different proteins result. These proteins mean that bigger and stronger muscles result.

Erythropoietin: peptide hormone which binds to the cell surface membrane receptor. This activates a second messenger inside the cell which triggers a protein kinase cascade and the final product enters the nucleus acting as a transcription factor. This switches on particular genes related to the synthesis of enzymes to make more red blood cells. More red blood cells mean oxygen can be carried more efficiently but this makes the blood thick so it can lead to strokes and heart attacks due to the blood clotting

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks very much, its very insightful! Good luck for Friday (although you seem to not need it) !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rz_22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by corrgeorgia)
Thanks very much, its very insightful! Good luck for Friday (although you seem to not need it) !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha thank you- good luck to you too! I feel I was more prepared for unit 4, so scared!

Posted from TSR Mobile
diggy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok i need a D for my to get a B overall, halfway through the spec, got an E on a past paper yesterday, there's still hope

#Prayforyungdiggy

Posted from TSR Mobile
acer0951
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anybody tell me why the Hela cells grow faster in space\ zero gravity? Confused the shizzle out of me

Posted from TSR Mobile
alicja_p
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by diggy)
Ok i need a D for my to get a B overall, halfway through the spec, got an E on a past paper yesterday, there's still hope

#Prayforyungdiggy

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a lucky ******* I need an A to get a B, just got a C in a past paper - obviously scaled down grade boundaries (did well considering I did 5 out of 6 questions hahah)
justanotherindigo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by diggy)

#Prayforyungdiggy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same! I guess that I just need to go through the spec more thoroughly, but there's still hope
warmhugs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What has been the hardest bio paper yet? And what was the mark for an a?
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Katy4341
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know if I'm really over thinking the pre release question. After having limited time in class, and resources I'm not sure what to look at. I've looked at mitosis, enzymes, ethical issues, virus/bacteria, protein synthesis etc. maybe this will be enough but any ideas from anyone else. Probably worrying about nothing but I'd rather be over prepared than under!
Just ZK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
anyone who have stafford valentines questions and answers related to the scientific article?????:sad::s-smilie:
polka dots :)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Could someone please help me with this. It's a picture of a diagram in the CGP revision guide. I don't understand why the direction of light is the opposite way to the direction of the impulse??

It's probably really simple! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tazk786)
What has been the hardest bio paper yet? And what was the mark for an a?
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
June 2012, I believe that was the hardest and the grade boundaries agree, 56 for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
diggy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by alicja_p)
What a lucky ******* I need an A to get a B, just got a C in a past paper - obviously scaled down grade boundaries (did well considering I did 5 out of 6 questions hahah)
Psst I dont know about that, lol anything could happen on friday if topics come up that I havent revised im finished

Posted from TSR Mobile
diggy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Changing Skies)
June 2012, I believe that was the hardest and the grade boundaries agree, 56 for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well i know what paper im doing today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
liomeeringca
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have people revised creatine for performance enhancing substances?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
28.33%
No (86)
71.67%

Watched Threads