Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
Boab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Last December, David Cameron was lionised by Eurosceptic Tory MPs when he vetoed a new EU treaty to deepen further fiscal union among eurozone countries but they later accused him of "appeasing" his deputy Nick Clegg by circumventing the move.
The Prime Minister had pledged to stop the eurozone using the European courts and Brussels institutions to uphold its own, breakaway fiscal pact being set up outside the EU treaty but later dropped the threat during negotiations.
It was claimed that the climbdown rendered the veto ineffective while one MP warned of the danger of Mr Cameron "waving the white flag".
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
David Cameron watered down his commitment to cutting net immigration to the "tens of thousands" after reportedly coming under pressure from Liberal Democrat Coalition colleagues.
The Prime Minister conceded during a BBC interview in April last year that the reduction was an "ambition" rather than Government policy.
Nick Clegg and Business Secretary Vince Cable had complained that the pledge was not part of the programme that the Liberal Democrats had signed up to, the Financial Times reported.
Horsedobbin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
Utter *******s. Our current queen is descended from and related to the Stuarts so I don't see how this will be constitutional to bring some random in. Also is there even a candidate that has a bigger claim than the queen?

Regardless, the queen will never be replaced as head of state without it either going to Charles or a president.
Haha very funny but the majority of Scots disagree with you.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/425...ping-the-Queen
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
David Cameron watered down his commitment to cutting net immigration to the "tens of thousands" after reportedly coming under pressure from Liberal Democrat Coalition colleagues.
The Prime Minister conceded during a BBC interview in April last year that the reduction was an "ambition" rather than Government policy.
Nick Clegg and Business Secretary Vince Cable had complained that the pledge was not part of the programme that the Liberal Democrats had signed up to, the Financial Times reported.
You've ignore the fact that there's a coalition government.

So how do you fell about us adopting the € as part of the deal with joining the EU?

Which of the current opt out in Europe are you happy for us to loose?
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And with that I'm finished.

Keep on lying Mr Mature. You do seem to enjoy it.
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Well, no. You see, there being no legal basis to recover that debt has already been accepted by the UK Government. The UK Government has sole title to it, and will continue to do so. However it has already said it expects an independent Scotland to repay a share of it.

However if an independent Scotland reneged on that share of the debt, several things would happen--

1. It would not receive any transitional co-operation from the UK Government. In practice, this would mean taxes could not be collected, welfare benefits could not be paid - in essence, significant government functions would cease to take place until hugely expensive emergency system could be put in place.

2. Scotland would receive no assets from the UK Government. While it may be impossible to remove every UK Government building in Scotland out of it, anything moveable and of value would be removed and nothing would be shared - for example, currency reserves. Scotland would have to borrow large sums of money simply to pay its bills in the interim.
IMF.

3. Scotland would likely not be allowed into the EU and NATO. There would not only be no currency union, but no passport union, no mutual defence pact, nada.
No EU isn't the end of the world, it could always join the EEA. And it wouldn't matter whether Scotland was part of NATO or not, if any country invaded Scotland it would pose so much a threat to the rUK that it would never happen. Ireland is a perfect example of this.

4. Scotland would ruin its international reputation and indeed its relationship with the rest of the UK.
Is the rest of the world are going to stop trading with Scotland? I think not.

There a numerous other ways that the UK can enforce payment of debts due, but that's pretty much sufficient. The idea that we wouldn't is not only bloody childish, but it would ruin Scotland to an extent we've not seen since Darien.
If the rUK keeps the assets it keeps the debt. Plain and simple.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
And with that I'm finished.

Keep on lying Mr Mature. You do seem to enjoy it.
Here's another thread you may want to follow.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post46966107

Just to give you a sense of how a potential foreign country's electorate view a currency union.
Horsedobbin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
HahahahahaYou're citing that as fact?! Go crawl back from under whatever rock you came.
Well see my other reply too.
Ho ho Ho ha, the Scots want to keep the British Queen, keep the British pound, keep the Bank of England as their bank, .....why bother to pretend to want independence.??? Does France want the British queen and the pound too? No? I wonder why. Does the republic of Ireland want to have the British Queen and the British Pound??? No, I wonder why? Could it be because they are truly independent nations???
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Horsedobbin)
Haha very funny but the majority of Scots disagree with you.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/425...ping-the-Queen
Oh right could you just get them all to mention this to me then, assuming someone's opinion vs right to rule is even valid.
Horsedobbin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
Oh right could you just get them all to mention this to me then, assuming someone's opinion vs right to rule is even valid.
Is this meant to disprove everything in the article I posted???
And how???
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Well, no. You see, there being no legal basis to recover that debt has already been accepted by the UK Government. The UK Government has sole title to it, and will continue to do so. However it has already said it expects an independent Scotland to repay a share of it.

However if an independent Scotland reneged on that share of the debt, several things would happen--

1. It would not receive any transitional co-operation from the UK Government. In practice, this would mean taxes could not be collected, welfare benefits could not be paid - in essence, significant government functions would cease to take place until hugely expensive emergency system could be put in place.

2. Scotland would receive no assets from the UK Government. While it may be impossible to remove every UK Government building in Scotland out of it, anything moveable and of value would be removed and nothing would be shared - for example, currency reserves. Scotland would have to borrow large sums of money simply to pay its bills in the interim.

3. Scotland would likely not be allowed into the EU and NATO. There would not only be no currency union, but no passport union, no mutual defence pact, nada.

4. Scotland would ruin its international reputation and indeed its relationship with the rest of the UK.

There a numerous other ways that the UK can enforce payment of debts due, but that's pretty much sufficient. The idea that we wouldn't is not only bloody childish, but it would ruin Scotland to an extent we've not seen since Darien.
Apart from all this being your usual nonsense, let us deal with one sentence:

"it has already said it expects an independent Scotland to repay a share of it."

'Expecting' something is not the same as getting it.

How on earth can Scotland "renege" on a 'debt' which it did not incur in the first place?

Scotland has NO NATIONAL DEBT and ABSOLUTELY NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to pay a share of the UK NATIONAL DEBT incurred by WESTMINSTER.

The SNP have been very fair in saying an independent Scotland would take on a fair share.

But as they have made very clear,

No share of assets = No share of liabilities, FULL STOP.

No sharing the Pound = Keep the Debt

And most people in Scotland are no longer afraid of what rUK will do to them if they dare vote for independence.

rUK will become the laughing stock of the world if it tries to bully a Scotland which has just democratically voted for Independence.

Scotland already has an extremely good international reputation and it would be enhanced even further if rUK tried to bully it.

Can you now admit that you were talking utter nonsense when claiming that after a Yes vote, rUK could negotiate Scotland's entry to the EU, otherwise Scotland would have to wait for years?

How on earth can a 'foreign' country negotiate someone else's entry into an international organisation?

Like your cheerleader MatureStudent36, you lie and then shamelessly move on and then start the cycle of the same lies all over again.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maths Tutor)

"it has already said it expects an independent Scotland to repay a share of it."

How on earth can Scotland "renege" on a 'debt' which it did not incur in the first place?

Scotland has NO NATIONAL DEBT and ABSOLUTELY NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to pay a share of the UK NATIONAL DEBT incurred by WESTMINSTER.

The SNP have been very fair in saying an independent Scotland would take on a fair share.

And most people in Scotland are no longer afraid of what rUK will do to them if they dare vote for independence.

rUK will become the laughing stock of the world if it tries to bully a Scotland which has just democratically voted for Independence.

Scotland already has an extremely good international reputation and it would be enhanced even further if rUK tried to bully it.

Can you now admit that you were talking utter nonsense when claiming that after a Yes vote, rUK could negotiate Scotland's entry to the EU, otherwise Scotland would have to wait for years?

How on earth can a 'foreign' country negotiate someone else's entry into an international organisation?

Like your cheerleader MatureStudent36, you lie and then shamelessly move on and then start the cycle of the same lies all over again.
Where's the UK said it won't share assets?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Presumption presented as fact!

U-turns happen all the time as you well low and I'm sure the rUK has far more pressing issues than a currency union.
U-turns don't happen all the time. They happen infrequently and typically when there's a disastrous reaction to something, or where something becomes more trouble than its worth. Now, there never will be that disastrous reaction: the people of the rUK back the government on this. As for becoming more trouble than it's worth, even if you accept the SNP's point about exchange costs, it still doesn't really amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

But this isn't a "pasty tax" or anything else. This is something that there is now an official UK Government paper on record saying that it would harm the country to have a currency union. This is where there is clear advice from the civil service not to do this. This is where there is a cross-party consensus against this. There has never, ever been a U-turn in such circumstances.

To your other part, I've read the Treasury paper. Dismissing it as "lies" is simply foolish and denigrates a very serious issue. As for the pressing nature of issues, I'd say this is in fact a matter of fundamental importance.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

That whole post was pathetic. However lets focus on this bit. It is in Scotland's interests to keep the debt. If the are 'seen' to renege on the debt, they would have massively high interest rates, and no incentive for rUk to share anything. Scotland is leaving rUK. hence the are leaving rUK's pound. The pound is Scotland's pound, as long as it is in the UK. Also some assets such as the software, that runs the databases etc, will be essential to Scotland's good running. Ultimately this 'no pound = no debt' will screw Scotland.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stalin)
IMF.
MMF?

No EU isn't the end of the world, it could always join the EEA. And it wouldn't matter whether Scotland was part of NATO or not, if any country invaded Scotland it would pose so much a threat to the rUK that it would never happen. Ireland is a perfect example of this.
Defence isn't all about invasion.

As for the EEA, I'm not sure why you'd think an application to join the EEA would be any easier.

Is the rest of the world are going to stop trading with Scotland? I think not.
Well, you've only disagreed with a point you raised, not one I did.

If the rUK keeps the assets it keeps the debt. Plain and simple.
The UK Government has never suggested that it will not share assets. The only administration to threaten any part of that equation are the Scottish Government.

As we've seen, if an equitable solution cannot be found, then Scotland will be the one that suffers. It's not a realistic proposition.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I don't disagree with anything you've said there. In fact, I've already stated most of it. There isn't a legal obligation to pay it, although there is a moral one to my mind. However, as stated, there is an expectation that an independent Scotland will act in that way without compulsion.

If it doesn't, I've outlined just some of the consequences. Once again, the Nationalists seem to think if they play hardball, everyone will just accept it - that's obviously not reality.

No-one is saying that there would be no sharing of assets other than the SNP. The UK Government has been quite clear that it is more than willing to share assets.

Well, I'm sorry, that's a completely different matter. Scotland has a moral obligation to pay debts run up on its behalf. The UK doesn't have a moral obligation to share its currency, or its institutions, or anything else. The UK is entitled to Scotland's debt payments, Scotland isn't entitled to use the pound. As such, the Scottish Government is withholding something it ought to give, on the basis that it isn't getting something it has no right too.

Elementary morality can demonstrate that is wrong.

Not if an independent Scotland has behaved improperly, which is what you are advocating. In that case, the international community - which, incidentally, clearly doesn't much care for Scottish secession - would take a very dim view of it.

I'm not sure why you think this is 'bullying'. The UK Government has every right to do all of these things. How on earth is it bullying someone to say you will not co-operate and assist them when they have acted against your legitimate interests?

I don't even know what you're talking about. The Scottish Government cannot negotiate EU entry from within the EU, that much is ascertainable under the EU treaties. Theoretically, the UK Government could request these treaties be changed and pursue that as the UK Government is an international actor. That is a theoretical, but entirely unlikely, course of action.

It's also not remotely relevant to anything and I'm rather sick of you asking me ridiculous questions about things that clearly don't mean anything to anyone other than you.
TheBugle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
So if they are bluffing, looks like we're keeping trident
no, try again.
TheBugle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
That whole post was pathetic. However lets focus on this bit. It is in Scotland's interests to keep the debt. If the are 'seen' to renege on the debt, they would have massively high interest rates, and no incentive for rUk to share anything. Scotland is leaving rUK. hence the are leaving rUK's pound. The pound is Scotland's pound, as long as it is in the UK. Also some assets such as the software, that runs the databases etc, will be essential to Scotland's good running. Ultimately this 'no pound = no debt' will screw Scotland.
Scotland hasn't got any debt to default on, it's all been guaranteed by Westminster.

Scotland can choose to take a portion of the debt, it's all part of the negotiations.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheBugle)
Scotland hasn't got any debt to default on, it's all been guaranteed by Westminster.

Scotland can choose to take a portion of the debt, it's all part of the negotiations.
But the international perception will be that they have reneged.
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
MMF?
It'd be one way to cover the costs in the short term.

Defence isn't all about invasion.
Ireland and Switzerland seem perfectly safe without NATO - Scotland would be no different.

As for the EEA, I'm not sure why you'd think an application to join the EEA would be any easier.
Alright, EFTA then.

Well, you've only disagreed with a point you raised, not one I did.
I don't think Scotland's international reputation would change if it decided to refuse the debt if the assets were not shared - that's perfectly logical. And I'm sure the rest of the world will agree.

The UK Government has never suggested that it will not share assets. The only administration to threaten any part of that equation are the Scottish Government.
Really? What about the BoE?

As we've seen, if an equitable solution cannot be found, then Scotland will be the one that suffers. It's not a realistic proposition.
And how will Scotland suffer?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads