The Student Room Group

German AS Edexcel Unit 1 - 14th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

How did people interpret the 2nd bullet point of the writing?
I put about how it is not always necessary to go to a private school to get good grades? And so therefore the "Erwartungen" are not not always met? I.e. you can get a good education at a state school?
What did others write?
I actually found this paper so hard and Im yr 13 retaking it!!!
Original post by peanuts123
How did people interpret the 2nd bullet point of the writing?
I put about how it is not always necessary to go to a private school to get good grades? And so therefore the "Erwartungen" are not not always met? I.e. you can get a good education at a state school?
What did others write?
I actually found this paper so hard and Im yr 13 retaking it!!!

I wrote about the bit in the stimulus saying there were few differences in achievment.
Original post by d4rkshines_
Ah fair enough. Yeah that makes sense, danke c: The second question made me laugh as it was so random

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I may be wrong but i thought the recording said something about voluntary work rather than school work so I didnt put that one :s-smilie:
Original post by Joeboyshop
I wrote about the bit in the stimulus saying there were few differences in achievment.

Cool thanks I mentioned that too:smile:
Hi I may be wrong but i thought the recording said something about voluntary work rather than school work so I didnt put that one :s-smilie:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it wasn't school work, maybe community service??
Reply 65
Original post by LilacFlorence
I think it was about whether private schools will fulfill expectations but I'm not sure...

Well, i've got that point completely wrong! I was talking about the cost of private schools even though there was no mention of money at all
A2 retaking it. found listening a bit hard.
Im surprised you guys were ok with the vocab in Q7???????
the word illiterate is a word i only learnt this year hahaha
essay was ok, reading was ok, listening was difficult.
Original post by lizziecr
A2 retaking it. found listening a bit hard.
Im surprised you guys were ok with the vocab in Q7???????
the word illiterate is a word i only learnt this year hahaha
essay was ok, reading was ok, listening was difficult.

I hated the listening! My oral was on education and employment so luckily the vocab was ok for me :smile: What do you think the grade boundaries will be?
Original post by Joeboyshop
Yeah I'm pretty sure it wasn't school work, maybe community service??

Exactly so I left that box!
Reply 69
Am I the only one that found the questions on playing table tennis on a train really funny?
I hated the listening! My oral was on education and employment so luckily the vocab was ok for me :smile: What do you think the grade boundaries will be?

Agreed, the listening was super hard. I literally struggled with every question ahaha especially the table tennis one. What did you put for the prize? I put a memory tshirt:colondollar:

I reckon the usual 53 ish for an A. Tbh I'm more interested in UMS as I retook it. Meh!
Original post by grace26x
Am I the only one that found the questions on playing table tennis on a train really funny?

I was cracking up ahhaha.
Super odd. I think they deliberately try to make the questions odd to confuse you further!
Reply 72
I was cracking up ahhaha.
Super odd. I think they deliberately try to make the questions odd to confuse you further!

Yeah definitely! I was sat there thinking "how would you even get the table on the train?"
Original post by grace26x
Yeah definitely! I was sat there thinking "how would you even get the table on the train?"

YES!! Imagine getting the table down all the escalators and everything ahah.
And then how would you be able to hit the ball properly whilst the train was moving?!?!
Lol when it was like people between 18 and 80 play in the tournament ahahhha

Honestly have no idea, never had a clue but people thought it was quite a nice exam so not too high, not too low - normal grade boundaries i believe :biggrin:!
Original post by Claire_Bee
thanks! and for the answer in german questions the markschemes say it is ok to take words from the text if they have the answer but you can't lift massive chunks because it shows you don't really understand the text, so be concise and only pick out whats relevant

Also they only mark the first response for a 1 mark question so even if your second point is correct then you won't a mark for it because its not the first thing you wrote

good luck!

Thank you! Surprisingly health didn't even come up (unless I went blind for two and a half hours) :O I really don't know how it went to be honest! What about you? :smile:

No one in our year did education and employment for speaking (just rushed it in a few weeks before the exam) so it wasn't exactly a paper we loved but I'm just happy that's one subject out of the way - hope everyone did well! :h:
My German teacher has been teaching Edexcel for years, and he hated this paper so much that my class might be doing AS and A2 AQA German in one year next year. I do think the writing was kind of stupid, seeing as private schools are extremely rare in Germany, and they don't operate in the same way as they do over here, so we couldn't write about them. He thinks that the grade boundaries will be really low, and all the colleges local to mine doing the same exam board are complaining about it aha. Do you think a lower grade in this AS will affect my chances at getting into a good uni for languages? I think I messed up on the second bullet point, and I may as well have been deaf for the listening. :L
Original post by tribiasfour
Do you think a lower grade in this AS will affect my chances at getting into a good uni for languages? I think I messed up on the second bullet point, and I may as well have been deaf for the listening. :L

I wouldn't worry about it at all - (Y13 retake here) I got B overall and in both modules last year and I'm off to Oxford for German & Italian next year so honestly don't stress :smile:
I promise you, last year seemed horrendous but it's really not as bad as you think it was
Original post by imogenh11
I wouldn't worry about it at all - (Y13 retake here) I got B overall and in both modules last year and I'm off to Oxford for German & Italian next year so honestly don't stress :smile:
I promise you, last year seemed horrendous but it's really not as bad as you think it was

Oh, okay, thank you so much, and congratulations on getting into Oxford - that's fantastic! :smile:
Reply 79
How did you all do??? I got a C at AS for this exam and resat and got an A so i'm really chuffed :biggrin:
I got an overall B, 4 marks from an A, but i'm still chuffed and got into my firm choice. A year late :wink:AS SPEAKING- First -BAS WRITING First C- Resit - AA2 SPEAKING- First E- Resit -BA2 WRITING First D- Resit B.Hope you all got what you wanted :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending