The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Anyone know predictions for character and voice?
How much time should you spend on each section?
Reply 902
Original post by Rtdsv
Are they hinting that they will come up or are they using reverse psychology so that we end up revising for them and then they don't even come up :?

I don't even know anymore lost the will to think
Original post by tamrid
Anyone know predictions for character and voice?

1. Ruined maid
1 Give
1 Brendon Gallacher
2 My Last Duchess
2 Medusa
3 Clown Punk
3 Hunchback
4 Checking out me history
4 Ozymandias
5 Singh Song
5 Horse Whisperer
6 River God
6 Case History: Alison
7 On the portrait of a deaf man
7 Les Grand seigneurs

All poems labelled 1 are poems that were just added this year to the spec. Most likely to be a 1 or 2 poem
Reply 904
Original post by andyman1006
What AQA is saying is be prepared for everything and anything, we can do whatever we want mwahahaha. Don't make strong assumptions

yeah they repeated Parris in the Crucible even though he came up in 2011 (or 2012 idk)
Am i taking a risk if i dont revise: Les Grands Seigneurs, The Ruined Maid and My Last Duchess??

I'm too tired to care any more? Had so many exams this week and late late nights.

I might go to bed early and get up really early to revise rather than sleep late??
Original post by Amaterasu_
1. Ruined maid
1 Give
1 Brendon Gallacher
2 My Last Duchess
2 Medusa
3 Clown Punk
3 Hunchback
4 Checking out me history
4 Ozymandias
5 Singh Song
5 Horse Whisperer
6 River God
6 Case History: Alison
7 On the portrait of a deaf man
7 Les Grand seigneurs

All poems labelled 1 are poems that were just added this year to the spec. Most likely to be a 1 or 2 poem

I agree with most of this. Not sure about give though, would have thought BG was more likely. :smile:
Original post by Hot&Spicy
Am i taking a risk if i dont revise: Les Grands Seigneurs, The Ruined Maid and My Last Duchess??

I'm too tired to care any more? Had so many exams this week and late late nights.

I might go to bed early and get up really early to revise rather than sleep late??

Seriously Doubt we will get less grands seigneurs, MLD is a possibility and the ruined maid has a high chance if coming up, so you should revise in this order if you really can't be bothered :smile: don't worry I know how you feel.
Original post by _ariane29
Seriously Doubt we will get less grands seigneurs, MLD is a possibility and the ruined maid has a high chance if coming up, so you should revise in this order if you really can't be bothered :smile: don't worry I know how you feel.

Thanks babe, but do you think it is likely that the two possible questions will be on MLD & Ruined maid, because i know every poem but these two?
Possible comparisons for the relationships cluster

-Man hunt and nettles - war and martial imagry, both close relationships
-Hour and sonet 116 - time/eternal love
-Hour and IPWY - love in an unlikey setting
-Quick draw and sister maude - conflict and violence in a relationship
-Ghazel and IPWY - longing for someone
-brother and sister maude - balence of friendship and rivalry
-praise song and nettles and harmonim ss - family and prorection
-sonet 43 and hour - presentation of love as a powerful and posotive force
-harmonium and nettles - father/son relationships
-THCY and Hour - time and love a force against lovers
-Farmers bride and THCM - time and sexual content, male persective
-Man hunt and harmonium - protective nature
-sonet 116 and hour - time and love personified
-manhunt and sonnet 116 - ideal love and difficulties
-IPWY & THCM - narratoras seducer
-IPWY and sister maude and nettles - anger
-IPWY and quick draw - being hurt by someone
-praise song and quick draw - not wanting to let go
-quick draw and manhunt - communication
-ghazel and hour and farmers bride and THCM and IPWY - Lust
-ghazel and farmers bride and nettles and hour - natural imagry
-Ghazel and farmers bride - biblical
-brothers and nettles and born yesterday - childhood
-sonet 116 and sonet 43 - ideal love
-THCM and sonet 116 and harmonium - effects of aging
-sonet 43 and THCM - contrast of eternal love
-Sonet 43 and ghazel - different aspects of love
-born yesterday and nettles - contrast of hopes and fears
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hot&Spicy
Thanks babe, but do you think it is likely that the two possible questions will be on MLD & Ruined maid, because i know every poem but these two?

I think that combination is a strong possibility- idk why but I just think that they'll use those two, either way I think that they'll use one new one and one repeat.
What type of things would you say for structure and form in relationships?
All I have is couplets show togetherness etc. And pulling/ physical closeness (lol) but idk anymore...??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 912
Original post by Jade Li
I saw this too but my teacher just said that we should still talk about imagery, language, structure etc... but try to link it all to language in some way. Also, most things you say will talk about language for example during imagery you tend to pick out a key word which you analyse. Hope this wasn't confusing x

Could you explain what imagery analysis is please? I'm able to do langauge but I struggle with imagery. In my mock lol i did a whole essay on just structure and langauge but no imagery. I'm really confused on how to include imagery anlysis.
Iambic tetrameter is like a heart beat whichs shows togetherness (8 syllables per line) and half rhyme could show disfunction or lack of trust or disjointed relationship
Original post by savannahwilddd
I didn't study Flag and The Falling Leaves properly, anyone know any good points to mention about them if they come up? I know it won't because it came up last year but I wish Out of the Blue would come up

Flag
Poems to compare for causes of conflict: The Yellow Palm
Poems to compare for patriotism: Charge of the Light Brigade, Bayonet Charge, next to of course god america I
Poems to compare for strong feelings: Futility, Poppies, Belfast Confetti
Poems to compare for nationalism and nations: At the Border, 1979

· The title is effective as even without reading the poem, the reader can understand what it is about. Also, the reader can infer from the title what the poem connotes to- ‘flag’ can connote to pride, honour, war, conflict, dignity, etc…
· The poem makes the reader understand that actually the flag is a symbol for the oppressive and destructive power of patriotism and the idea that actually, to the narrator, it is outdated. It also highlights the influence in society that a flag can have and how it can influence many to sacrifice their lives for their country.

“What’s that fluttering in the breeze? Its just a piece of cloth that brings a nation to it’s knees.”

Lang Tech 1
· Onomatopoeia ‘fluttering’. It seems as though the flag could represent freedom through how the verb mirrors the flag’s movement- it seems as though the flag is free. Furthermore, the ‘fluttering’ makes the flag seem like it is peaceful as fluttering perhaps connotes to delicate and peaceful- it is seen as a graceful action and movement. This, however, is perhaps ironic as a flag is one of the main reasons for war and conflict breaking out.
· Alternatively, flags are generally bound to a flagpole to stop it from flying away- this could possibly signify that actually, the flag is not a symbol of peace and freedom but actually a symbol for the limited freedom of society and how that by following the flag, we can never be free as it has the power to ‘bring a nation to its knees’ and that we are always bound to it and following it blindly. This could further link to how nations are vulnerable if we continue to follow it blindly- we can never truly be free if we blindly follow the flag. The narrator is perhaps trying to get the reader to think if they as individuals and as a country are too proud of their flag and if they all follow it blindly, irrespective of the damage it can do to a nation and individuals as a whole.
Lang Tech 2
· Enjambment is used frequently throughout the poem to possibly highlight a link between the flag and all the terrible things the flag can do due to the power it possesses over people and the nations. However, Agard employs the use of enjambment in the second and third lines to illustrate the dismissive nature of the second line (by using the adverb ‘just’) with the negative nature of the third line (by implying that it is manipulative and controlling). This together highlights the narrator’s feelings of the flag and allows the audience to understand how the narrator feels that the flag is both unnecessary and negative at the same time which may perhaps make the reader question why we follow our own flag is it has these negative impacts on society.

“What’s that rising over a tent?”

Lang Tech 1
· The rhetorical question makes the reader question the importance of the flag they follow and more importantly may allow the reader to question why they follow it- if it has all these negative impacts on society, why would they waste their time following it if it can destroy a nation and create a war.
· Furthermore, it is like a Q and A. The first line is a question; the second is an answer. The narrator believes that whoever is asking a question is possibly childish and naïve as they do not understand the connotations of the flag- they take it at face value and that it is just a piece of cloth- they may possibly not understand the danger of following it blindly and are perhaps oblivious to it.
Lang Tech 2
· The verb ‘rising’ creates an image of pride in war. It may suggest that we honour the fag wherever we are. If it is above a tent, we still respect it. If it is not at home but in the middle of a battlefield, we still respect it.
· However, it makes it seem ridiculous that when it rises, we all bow down and respect it. This could imply the power that the flag has and that when it rises, like someone of high status in war, we stop and salute it- this signifies the power and manipulative nature that the flag possesses.

“Just ask for a flag, my friend. Then blind your conscience to the end.”

Lang Tech 1
· The ABB rhyme scheme in the last stanza is important as it is different to all the other stanzas which have an ABA rhyme scheme. This breaks the flow and smoothness in the poem and may illustrate how the flag can also break up the flow and bonding in society- it can destroy a nation and send it to war. This also makes the reader feel as though all the questions have been answered- the narrator has put his feelings across and warned us, now it is up to us whether we follow the advice or the flag.
· Further to this, the two words that rhyme are significant. ‘Friend’ is strange as in war, you don’t make friends- you lose friends and make only enemies. This links the ‘the end’ which not only gives finality to the poem but also to life- the flag will make us blindly follow it until ‘the end’ when we die in battle and die honourably. Until then, we will always make more enemies and lose the friends we have. Alternatively, until we die, the flag will ‘outlive the blood you bleed’- its legacy will live on longer and remain stronger than those who fought in war for it. Moreover, it could perhaps be highlighting the effects of war that many have to live with due to shellshock and memories of many not knowing why they are fighting except because it is good for their country- these will live with the soldiers until they die.
Structure and Form
· The poem is written in 5 3-line stanzas which mirror the shape of a flag- it may represent how a flag can even have the power to influence writing. The three lines are like the three stripes of many national flags today. This may highlight how it can affect nations all over the world and that it is not just a problem happening in our country; it is a worldwide problem and that we should do something about it- emphasis of the pronoun ‘you’- we need to do something.
· The ABB rhyme scheme in the last stanza is important as it is different to all the other stanzas which have an ABA rhyme scheme. This breaks the flow and smoothness in the poem and may illustrate how the flag can also break up the flow and bonding in society- it can destroy a nation and send it to war. This also makes the reader feel as though all the questions have been answered- the narrator has put his feelings across and warned us, now it is up to us whether we follow the advice or the flag.
· Enjambment is used frequently throughout the poem to possibly highlight a link between the flag and all the terrible things the flag can do due to the power it possesses over people and the nations. However, Agard employs the use of enjambment in the second and third lines to illustrate the dismissive nature of the second line (by using the adverb ‘just’) with the negative nature of the third line (by implying that it is manipulative and controlling). This together highlights the narrator’s feelings of the flag and allows the audience to understand how the narrator feels that the flag is both unnecessary and negative at the same time which may perhaps make the reader question why we follow our own flag is it has these negative impacts on society.
· The poem is built around a conversation between two voices one that asks the child-like question of each opening stanza; the other, perhaps Agard himself, who responds in the next two lines. In the first four stanzas the response is the same, with the line “It's just a piece of cloth" echoing throughout the poem.
· There is a sense that the poet and the questioner are on some kind of journey each time they discuss a flag in a different place. The subject matter becomes more personal each time, though, changing from a general discussion of a ‘nation’ (line 3), to focus on actual ‘men’ (line 6), then specific examples of men (‘the coward’ in line 9) before focusing on the person asking the questions: ‘you’ (line 12).
General techniques
· Adverb ‘just’ illustrates the insignificance of the flag to the narrator- it implies that it is not much at all and that it is not worth much to him- it is ‘just a piece of cloth’ and that it will not be able to do much. The noun ‘cloth’ is also significant as it may connote to old and worn out- raggedy and so will not mean much to anyone. The reality, however, is different. The adverb is repeated to emphasise how much the narrator hates the flag and how much he dismisses it.
· The juxtaposition also links closely to the adverb as the adverb connotes to not being able to much and not being powerful- it is insignificant. However, the fact that it says ‘brings a nation to its knees’ implies the power and manipulative nature of the flag and actually how wrong we are in thinking that it cannot do much.
· Metaphor ‘brings a nation to it’s knees’ conveys the power and manipulative nature of the flag. This connotes to praying and the idea that we worship the flag. This may emphasise the pain and surrender that we as nations go through to respect the flag Alternatively, it could symbolize the higher status that the flag has as generally, people on their knees are seen to be inferior and having less power- this conveys how the flag has more power than us- it can be seen as degrading.
· The noun ‘gut’ has two main connotations. Firstly, by following the flag blindly, we can sustain injury from it- literally hurting ourselves and dying unnecessarily in war. However, it could also connote to the bravery and how we feel brave when fighting for our flag an country- emphasizes manipulation. This ‘boldness’ soon turns to fear when they realize that they don’t know why they are fighting for their flag.
· Alliteration of ‘b’ in ‘blood you bleed’ sounds harsh and violent- mirroring the brutality and conditions of war. It also emphasies the violence which connotes to the flag. The fact that it outlives the blood we bleed emphasizes the futility of fighting for it- it will leave a legacy which is stronger and longer lasting than that left by the soldiers who die for it. It suggest that it is shameful that people die for the flag and that it is shameful that people should sacrifice their ‘blood’ to keep the flag which would’ve lasted longer regardless.
· ‘Possess’ depicts how the other person still wants a flag and how he is obsessed with the power it carries. Finally, the fact that it blinds our conscience suggests that no one cares for others/consequences and that the narrator questions what the right thing to do is. It perhaps suggests that we will do anything for the flag- you will be blind to morality and you will do anything whether it is good or bad, just to see your flag that you follow live on.
Reply 915
Original post by PersianViper
How can i revise unseen poetry? im a little confused

mrbruff has a video all about it on youtube
Reply 916
Original post by bellaap
What type of things would you say for structure and form in relationships?
All I have is couplets show togetherness etc. And pulling/ physical closeness (lol) but idk anymore...??

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can talk about whether the poem is a full traditional style one or broken up e.g. an incomplete sonnet and this can represent the incomplete relationship.

you can talk about excess or too little puntuation to show the flow or the rush of the poem depending on circumstances

Disjointed structure for negative feelings

and ummm you can talk about irregular rhyme showing how the relationship is unsettled and always changing
Original post by Monaa_
mrbruff has a video all about it on youtube

Thanks this helped a lot :biggrin:. Now to try to understand the conflict poems :/
Reply 918
Original post by PersianViper
Thanks this helped a lot :biggrin:. Now to try to understand the conflict poems :/

No problem, i would help you but i do the relationship ones sorry x
Original post by indiemaeee
Iambic tetrameter is like a heart beat whichs shows togetherness (8 syllables per line) and half rhyme could show disfunction or lack of trust or disjointed relationship

It is written in iambic pentameter (lines of 10 syllables, with alternating stressed andunstressed syllables). It is divided into 3 verses of four lines each, known as ‘quatrains’, and finished with a rhyming couplet which also served as the Volta. Its rhyme scheme is also different: ABAB CDCD EFEF GG.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending