The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by secret_smile
Yep or this.

Don't forget that women are equally bombarded with 'how to act on dates, how to find love, top 10 turn ons and offs for men" etc etc in every womens magazine out there.

But yeah, I do agree it's stupid, outdated and sexist... and is also the main reason I don't read any womens mags...

Men are told 'YOU MUST LOOK LIKE THIS OR NO WOMAN WILL FIND YOU ATTRACTIVE' and women are told 'YOU MUST DRESS LIKE THIS OR NO MAN WILL COME AND TRY FOR YOU'. It's utterly ridiculous, encouraging stupid predefined roles based on our gender and telling us all to be the same.
Original post by timsquirrell
Men are told 'YOU MUST LOOK LIKE THIS OR NO WOMAN WILL FIND YOU ATTRACTIVE' and women are told 'YOU MUST DRESS LIKE THIS OR NO MAN WILL COME AND TRY FOR YOU'. It's utterly ridiculous, encouraging stupid predefined roles based on our gender and telling us all to be the same.

I don't think that there is only one way to dress like etc. But the basic message in this is that make an effort with your looks, clothes and attitude. I don't think that many people like when someone turns up on a date with same clothes s/he wore on a gym class or if s/he seems too keen or insecure. It's the same with girls. I don't think that many guys like girls who stink, wear their grannys clothes and complain how ugly they are, how everyone hates them and then call after him several times during the day. Even here many guys have said that they don't like easy girls (if they want a relationship with them).
Reply 142
I don't understand the people who are dissing the OP. Clearly this thread is not meant for guys who (like everyone's boyfriend, apparently) can make long hair, Woody Allen glasses and World of Warcraft shirts look sexy; it's for guys are much too awkward to make these 'quirky' things work for them, and all they do is prevent girls from looking under the surface. Obviously these tips alone won't make anyone fall in love with you; but if you have a 'neutral' exterior, there are less obstacles for someone to get you know on the inside, which is what matters. And 'fake' confidence is really just a way of masking how insecure you feel IN THAT PARTICULAR SITUATION (i.e. a first date), so that she can see what you're like under less terrifying circumstances.

The one thing I genuinely don't get is the no short sleeves under any circumstances bit, surely if it's warm that's ok? :biggrin:
Yes, because there's nothing more attractive than all men looking EXACTLY THE SAME.
Reply 144
OP advice only works if you're not ugly. Bleh.
Original post by Formica
OP advice only works if you're not ugly. Bleh.

****!
not picky at all are you?
Original post by secret_smile
So basically.. be clean and be confident.

Yes, that all helps but that should be standard.

I think the girls of TSR could make a thread called "The Advanced Dating Guide - beyond the soap and anti-perspirant".

Things that really seal the deal when it comes to dating women...

The hilarious thing is to you and most girls (and some guys), this is all super obvious advice.

And yet to about 1/3 of the...more dubious characters on here, it is heresy - just look at the number of negative reps and angry sperging comments.
Original post by missygeorgia
Yes, because there's nothing more attractive than all men looking EXACTLY THE SAME.

Since my advice for trousers, for example, was "anything except tracksuits"

Tops was pretty much "anything except waterproofs, black dragon t-shirts usually avoid wearing hoodies on dates"

Shoes was pretty much "anything except running/hiking shoes"

I really dont get why so many people are saying I want everyone to look the same. I'm just pointing out things that are just plain wrong, that almost noone can make look good.

I'm getting the impression there are a lot of 'alternative' kids on here with steam-punk and gothic clothing. The thing is, noone stays in those subcultures for life (or almost noone), you will grow out of it eventually.
Original post by HistoryRepeating

Basically, be boring.
IMO the best friends are the ones who don't spend lots of time worrying about how they look, it's not like they don't have GFs either.
Two years on, I'd be very interested to see if any of the Long Hair metal-subculture people have changed their style!
Reply 151
The long haired metal subculture look is fine for pulling the long haired metal subculture girls that they will be looking for.
Original post by py0alb
The long haired metal subculture look is fine for pulling the long haired metal subculture girls that they will be looking for.

Yes but assuming they were undergrads 2.5 years ago when the thread originally aired, they are probably now no-longer students and thus there really wont be many "long haired metal subculture girls" left!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 153
Yes but assuming they were undergrads 2.5 years ago when the thread originally aired, they are probably now no-longer students and thus there really wont be many "long hared metal subculture girls" left!

Good taste in music is not something you grow out of - might have to cut your hair to fit in at work mind you.

Women don't suddenly become boring and middle aged when they hit 25.
Original post by py0alb
Good taste in music is not something you grow out of - might have to cut your hair to fit in at work mind you.

Women don't suddenly become boring and middle aged when they hit 25.

Student (and particularly "music-orientated") subcultures are much less prevelent in adult working people, for the most part. Not a judgement on how boring they are, just truth.

Working adults do have their own subcultures. They may share features with the student subcultures, but tend to be a lot more homogenous than their student counterparts. The more "extreme" subcultures (metal, goth etc) are considerably less prevelant among working adults than they are among students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 155
Subcultures are much less popular in people once they have been working for a few years, for the most part. Not a judgement on how boring they are, just truth.

...so as the supply of eligible metal subculture men decreases, they will be more in demand than ever before.

Nice sig by the way, is that you?
Surprisingly not as awful as I expected.
Reply 157

Working adults do have their own subcultures. They may share features with the student subcultures, but tend to be a lot more homogenous than their student counterparts. The more "extreme" subcultures (metal, goth etc) are considerably less prevelant among working adults than they are among students.

Liking metal is an "extreme" subculture? :s-smilie:
Reply 158
Lol, apart from the conctact lenses thing, I this advice is fair to be honest.

I don't think it's so much about confidence, as in cockiness confidence. I get the impression it's more to do with having some self-assurance. Enough confidence to allow you to make decent conversation and develop some sort of relationship without it feeling awkward all the time. It can be very awkward when you talk to somebody who has no confidence, and it can actually be very hard work too.
Reply 159
Original post by py0alb
Liking metal is an "extreme" subculture? :s-smilie:

I don't understand why you keep stressing the same point. Clearly this is addressing the average person. Obviously this won't really apply to a person who's into the metal sub-culture, they'll probably end up attracting like-minded people.

What's the problem?

Latest

Trending

Trending