The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

How do you bounce back from setbacks? I´m constantly having trouble with a few classes - one 5th primary and one first year secondary. They just don´t listen.

I also feel like I spend my life working. Anyone else feel the same?
I've got a cold now too, and I felt like I was doing really well to survive this far without getting ill! :frown:

If in terms of setbacks you mean a lesson going badly, I normally bounce back quite quickly, but it's because my classes can be quite variable - the pupils are great overall, but how much they participate depends a lot on time of day and their mood. So if I have a dodgy lesson period 5, I always hope the lesson period 2 another day will be better. Or if it's a specific problem, usually I'll have a helpful tip from one of the teachers as to how to respond when that happens, so I'm fairly hopeful that things will get better! Make sure you do get tips from colleagues and see what works for you.

I'm really enjoying the time in front of the classes, it's just the workload that's stressing me out. It still takes me literally hours to plan each lesson, and I never quite manage to get ahead, however long I work for. So tonight I still have 3 partially planned lessons for tomorrow to finish off before I can go to bed. :frown: I got to school at about 8am, left just before 5, and have been working (though going online a bit too) since I got home. So yes, I definitely agree with feeling like you're spending your whole life working!
R.e. setbacks, I always find it helps to talk it out with my colleagues and have a bit of a rant! My amazing colleagues are seriously what keep me going.
Original post by Becca
R.e. setbacks, I always find it helps to talk it out with my colleagues and have a bit of a rant! My amazing colleagues are seriously what keep me going.

Snap. And I'm not much of a talker normally!

what also helps me sometimes is to just write everything out that's bothering me into a word document or something, then get rid.
Original post by balloon_parade
Keep going and just be proactive with your own development, I had an awful last placement and was there for 12 weeks, it was horrible. But you know, I am so proud of myself for getting through it! You will come out the other end of this and remember it isn't for life. This is placement and it will be over soon!

Just remember that you will be progressing! Keep going and don't give up! I would definitely tell your university about your awful time...perhaps mention it to the placement team/tutor/school mentor about how low you are and they may be able to put you in a well known supportive school.

Don't knock off primary teaching on one bad school, they aren't all like that I promise :smile: x

:smile: Thank you, that helps so much. I need to stop reading the education news as well. Gove's attacks on teachers are also putting me off teaching as a career.. :frown:

Uni know, they don't seem to care either. All I've had from uni is being told off because I've had to miss a few days of uni for my daughter being ill. No regards for the fact I managed to get someone else to have her mon-weds so I didn't miss a single day of placement so far. On balance, so far, my placement school have been more supportive than uni. Which is worrying considering my issues with my mentor. I just have to hope my next school is better. My uni only just started doing the course this year so they are desperate for placements because they don't have enough yet, and are also detirmined to place us in outstanding or almost outstanding schools, which limits the choice. My placement is about 50 mins from home which is difficult with a young child, if I stay until even 5pm then she is in bed when I get home. Most days I have to dash off at 3:30 to get her from nursery which makes me look bad, whereas if I was closer I could easily stay until at least 5:30 even on days when I needed to pick her up. My next placement is possibly going to be even further as they currently have no schools closer than the one I am in at the moment, despite the fact I live in one of the biggest towns in the county and there are plenty of outstanding schools nearby. It feels like they haven't even tried around here!
So just had my end of placement 1 report back. I'm basically 'cause for concern' or whatever 'needs extra support on next placement and to be reviewed early' level is.

So disappointed in myself. Now I am stressing about placement 2, already, seeing as I'll be starting off on the wrong foot.
Reply 1766
Original post by smartarse1983
So just had my end of placement 1 report back. I'm basically 'cause for concern' or whatever 'needs extra support on next placement and to be reviewed early' level is.

So disappointed in myself. Now I am stressing about placement 2, already, seeing as I'll be starting off on the wrong foot.

It may to some extent be a uni policy, I know ours only allows 'cause for concern' or satisfactory on first placement. Did you receive any targets on how to improve to get a 2? We have the marking criteria which our school mentor goes through with us so we can see where we need to go next, may be worth talking to someone about it and getting some targets etc to work out how you can get there. I know its frustrating but at least you'll be getting extra support so you will improve, see as a drive to prove you're better than that as i'm sure you are :smile:

:hugs::hugs:
Reply 1767
Just wanted to say hello and I can relate to so many points made on here. I'm doing a PGCE teaching at College. It's been a struggle and I've gone from fretting that i'm doing things correctly to almost building up a resentment for the course and my placement in general.

It also annoys me that somewhere along the line it's been forgotten that I am paying SIX THOUSAND POUNDS Tuition fees and that should entitle me to some degree of support.

The learners on the Foundation Degree where I teach in my placement aren't interested, talk constantly even when told. I'm six foot and quite well built, I don't lack confidence but most of the class I would say are borderline remedial level. Yes, that's right - remidial level on a DEGREE COURSE :smile:))))

The college let absolutely anyone on the degree course that I am teaching they may as well just stand in a shopping centre and hand out flyers to random people to turn up tomorrow if they are interested. Money Money Money that's all it is. You could have 30 learners who are disruptive, no motivation and the dont care, all they care about is that the class is full and they're getting their piles of money.

I could go on and probably will do but feel better for my rant! Thanks
Original post by bigdon
Just wanted to say hello and I can relate to so many points made on here. I'm doing a PGCE teaching at College. It's been a struggle and I've gone from fretting that i'm doing things correctly to almost building up a resentment for the course and my placement in general.

It also annoys me that somewhere along the line it's been forgotten that I am paying SIX THOUSAND POUNDS Tuition fees and that should entitle me to some degree of support.

The learners on the Foundation Degree where I teach in my placement aren't interested, talk constantly even when told. I'm six foot and quite well built, I don't lack confidence but most of the class I would say are borderline remedial level. Yes, that's right - remidial level on a DEGREE COURSE :smile:))))

The college let absolutely anyone on the degree course that I am teaching they may as well just stand in a shopping centre and hand out flyers to random people to turn up tomorrow if they are interested. Money Money Money that's all it is. You could have 30 learners who are disruptive, no motivation and the dont care, all they care about is that the class is full and they're getting their piles of money.

I could go on and probably will do but feel better for my rant! Thanks

I feel exactly the same- I´m nit doing the PGCE. but the placement side is similar to what I´m doing. How old are the students 18 +? Are they just out of school?

I´m teaching English in Spain and I see this frequently in my academy. Classes are too big and some students talk constantly. I´ve a lot to do to turn things round. With some of them it´s obvious the parents are making them attend class. It´s frustrating.
Reply 1769
Original post by sunfowers01
I feel exactly the same- I´m nit doing the PGCE. but the placement side is similar to what I´m doing. How old are the students 18 +? Are they just out of school?

I´m teaching English in Spain and I see this frequently in my academy. Classes are too big and some students talk constantly. I´ve a lot to do to turn things round. With some of them it´s obvious the parents are making them attend class. It´s frustrating.

Thanks for the reply. The age range is 20-25 perdominently males. The main motivation for them being there seems to be the Bursary and Student Loans / Grants, along with, as you mention, the 'parent' element of 'its better to do naff all sat in college than be hassled into getting a job where they would probably be in tears with shock at having to actually do something'. I think Student Loans/Grants a timebomb, the chances of most of the learners on my course ever paying a penny back is highly doubtful :smile:

As I mentioned what is worrying me is not so much the disruption (it's relatively mild, just rude and annoying) but the fact I genuinely don't seem to care anymore whereas even a month ago I was very positive and would have enjoyed challenging their behaviour. Other people on the PGCE are also stressed and finding it hard but they do seem to care to a degree whereas I just don't.

The Mentor - 'old schoo'l bitter guy in his late fifties, very critical, retiring next year, has been negative about the way I set up my lessons. This would be fair enough if he was even a halfway decent teacher himself rather than lazy, unimaginative. He talks a very good lesson but never delivers a good one.

There's one more week to go then 2 weeks off, I'm going to struggle through the week then seriously consider if I want to return after the new Year. If I feel the same as I do now im 100% going to quit as it's not worth the hassle and stress.

I used to aspire to become a teacher now I feel sorry for them.
Had a bit of a mini-break down this morning. Just couldn't bring myself to go into uni it was just too overwhelming. :frown:
I feel like if I just struggled at either my placement or uni I could cope but getting no support and more and more aggro from both is just unbearable.
I've suffered from anxiety and depression in the past, but had it way under control at the start of this year. A PGCE is obviously a stressful course, but constant attacks from my tutor for the fact that I have had to have a few days off uni to look after my sick daughter are really not helping. They just make me think I can't do this, when I can, I just need support.

I only have 5 weeks left of this placement after christmas and I do like the school, the kids and even my mentor as a person.. just not as a mentor.
But I'm just so worried about my next placement. It all depends on that being a) closer to home and b) supportive. :/
Reply 1771
Original post by nati_jade
Had a bit of a mini-break down this morning. Just couldn't bring myself to go into uni it was just too overwhelming. :frown:
I feel like if I just struggled at either my placement or uni I could cope but getting no support and more and more aggro from both is just unbearable.
I've suffered from anxiety and depression in the past, but had it way under control at the start of this year. A PGCE is obviously a stressful course, but constant attacks from my tutor for the fact that I have had to have a few days off uni to look after my sick daughter are really not helping. They just make me think I can't do this, when I can, I just need support.

I only have 5 weeks left of this placement after christmas and I do like the school, the kids and even my mentor as a person.. just not as a mentor.
But I'm just so worried about my next placement. It all depends on that being a) closer to home and b) supportive. :/

have been at an amazing school with a brilliant mentor but I'm starting to get down over the silliest things. I've suffered with anxiety too so I think this could be playing a part in your woes? Maybe if you could try to remember you've not been doing it that long! And don't let the stress take over in your lessons! Take note of the the things you know you've done well and highlight those to your mentor? just try to do it in a way that wont bring the tress levels so "well what did you think of my differentiation when did x, y, z" Mostly you just need to bring in some coping mechanisms for your self even just thinking of something funny when your starting to feel stressed? The best f luck hope it gets better after Christmas when you've hopefully had a bit of rest!
How are you all feeling as you approach the Christmas break?

I'm desperate for a rest, but I won't get one. I'm working 26-28th Dec. need to show willing. I'm looking forward to experiencing a Spanish Christmas though.
Reply 1773
Looking soooo forward to having any kind of break! however also very sad I'll be leaving my placement it has been brilliant! Also nervous bout placement b all sorts o thoughts! *mind blown*
Original post by Mr M
This is completely normal folks. It will get a bit worse before it gets better.

I concur
I'm definitely looking forwards to having a bit of a break, though will be spending a lot of time on all the things that have been put on hold for the last few weeks (assignment, getting my standards record up to date, filing, tidying, etc). I'm in uni on Friday morning, then will spend the afternoon tidying the house and finally putting the Christmas tree up. :smile:

I'm going to try and be really organised and work on PGCE stuff nearly every morning (not Christmas, obviously, and probably not a few other days...) so I can relax in the afternoons/evenings.
Merry Christmas all current PGCE-ers. We can all enjoy a few weeks of somewhat relaxation I hope :smile:

Got a good as my final rating for my first placement, now to try for the Outstanding next year eh?

Peace.
I'm due to start a PGCE in 2013 and I'm already terrified :frown: Can someone put my mind at ease please?
Reply 1778
I'm doing some Maths Education modules towards my Bachelor's with the Open University which can also be done towards a PGCE. Feel so stressed as I'm keen to get a first so I can boost my chances of getting onto a decent postgraduate course either here in the UK or the US. Not helped by the fact I have the flu. Also not sure if my essay is up to the standard. I did quite well in my last assignment but want to maintain the standards.

Anyone here doing PGCE specifically for Maths (secondary school)?
Reply 1779
Congratulations to all PGCE-ers for getting to Xmas. If you have survived this long, the rest should be plain(er) sailing. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending