The Student Room Group

If the exam board lower the grade boundaries...

Hi,
I'm getting AS Geography results tomorro. It was a new syllabus and everything, and my friend said that if everyone does badly on it then they will lower the grade boundaries. If they do that, then will the grade we get tomorro be the grade of the lowered boundaries, or the grade before they lowered them? Has this happened to anyone before?
please tell me if you know!
thank you :smile:
Reply 1
It'll be the grades for the lowered boundaries I assume. they raise or lower them every year depending on how everyone does. I assume its the same even with the new syllabus

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
I'd guess that it would be the former, because the senior examiners' will have compiled results a few/couple of weeks back and adjusted from there, most likely.

Edit: more like definitely, actually!
:facepalm: They obviously have to decide the boundaries for each grade before they can actually give people a grade
Reply 4
pocket!
Hi,
I'm getting AS Geography results tomorro. It was a new syllabus and everything, and my friend said that if everyone does badly on it then they will lower the grade boundaries. If they do that, then will the grade we get tomorro be the grade of the lowered boundaries, or the grade before they lowered them? Has this happened to anyone before?
please tell me if you know!
thank you :smile:

Which exam board?
Reply 5
Revolution is my Name
:facepalm: They obviously have to decide the boundaries for each grade before they can actually give people a grade

This.

The boundaries are decided before they can convert your marks to UMS.

You will receive your result in terms of UMS tomorrow OP, grade boundaries were set some time ago.
Reply 6
Tomorrow you get a "UMS" grade out of 300. You will not get raw marks. Out of 300, you will need 240 to get an A. This is ALWAYS the case because they've already converted your raw score into UMS so tomorrow if you get 243 it means you got 81% UMS average. But that doesn't mean you really got 81%, you could have got 51/75 RAW marks which is like 68% but that's still an A cos grade boundaries got lowered.
Stanley90
Tomorrow you get a "UMS" grade out of 300. You will not get raw marks. Out of 300, you will need 240 to get an A. This is ALWAYS the case because they've already converted your raw score into UMS so tomorrow if you get 243 it means you got 81% UMS average. But that doesn't mean you really got 81%, you could have got 51/75 RAW marks which is like 68% but that's still an A cos grade boundaries got lowered.

Isn't the new syllabus out of 200?
Reply 8
Stop thinking about grade boundaries - what matters is the UMS, which go through lots of fancy calculations to give you your grade - the boards may even standardise the grade boundaries based on what the top and bottom grades convert into UMS
What happens is they take a sample of scripts, then decide what raw mark will give each amount of UMS marks. You only get the UMS mark, not the raw mark. So you won't even know if they "adjusted the grade boundary" unless you look it up yourself.

Latest